Boswell Sisters Box set? Is this something I want?

I'm not all over this. I like them. I'm not sure you would TraneMonk, I'm not sure it runs along your usual taste path. I could be wrong. Listen to some online samples. There's probably enough out there to draw an opinion on.

I have all this material save the DVD, and I'm not sure I need a DVD. . . I'm more an aural than visual music listener.

I'm not all over this. I like them. I'm not sure you would TraneMonk, I'm not sure it runs along your usual taste path. I could be wrong. Listen to some online samples. There's probably enough out there to draw an opinion on.

I have all this material save the DVD, and I'm not sure I need a DVD. . . I'm more an aural than visual music listener.

No, no. By "all over this", I meant in terms of advice and recommendations.

No, no. By "all over this", I meant in terms of advice and recommendations.

Well, I knew what you meant, and I'm not all over this as far as advice etc. goes. I'm not recommending this for TraneMonk considering how long it took him to consider the Young, Armstrong, etc. I'm not really sure this is stuff he'll get into. We all have our comfort zones.

Well, the Nostalgia Art cds are NOT crummy needledrops. Yes, Mosaic would do a slightly better job, but the Nostalgic Arts are not crappy jobs at all. Can't speak as to whether this box has different transfers or not, but there's nothign to complain about the previous issues from the Storyville label. Sound is excellent for this vintage material.

Well, the Nostalgia Art cds are NOT crummy needledrops. Yes, Mosaic would do a slightly better job, but the Nostalgic Arts are not crappy jobs at all. Can't speak as to whether this box has different transfers or not, but there's nothign to complain about the previous issues from the Storyville label. Sound is excellent for this vintage material.

I believe that the late John R. T. Davies did the transfers for the original Nostalgia Arts issues. Of course, sound quality is highly subjective, but a good many collectors would still consider Davies' transfers of 78s the gold standard for reissues. I have bought and cherished many Mosaic sets, but I don't think it's clear that the label has surpassed the level of Davies' work.

Edited by Salvatore Massaro

Thanks for providing that information. I was relatively certain that they all were Davies transfers, but they are housed in a room of my house currently occupied by another and I hadn't intruded to check.

The sound is excellent on the Nostalgia Arts cds, and they are well notated. Of course there's no guarantee that they have not been re-transferred for this new box set, though I would be surprised if that did happen. Unfortunately, the Nostalgic Arts cds are hard to come by these days, so this new box set is a boon for those who do not possess them.

The box definitely looks worth getting, especially if it's complete with respect to their studio sessions. I have only one of the aforementioned Nostalgia Arts issues (Vol. 2), and John R.T. Davies is credited for the remastering. That disc contains material ranging from 1925 to 1932.

An earlier (1994) CD reissue (Vol. 1) on another Carl Hallstrom label (Collector's Classics) contains material from 1931 and 1932, and JRTD is again credited with remastering. As far as I know, there never was a volume 2 in that series, and the relationship between Vol. 1 of the Collector's Classics cd and Vol. 1 of the Nostalgia Arts cd is unclear.

Note also that there's another disc that may be of interest on Retrieval (The Boswell Sister, 1930-1935, RTR 79009). It includes airshots that most likely will not be on the Storyville box.

Is there a listing yet of what the box will contain?

I believe that the late John R. T. Davies did the transfers for the original Nostalgia Arts issues. Of course, sound quality is highly subjective, but a good many collectors would still consider Davies' transfers of 78s the gold standard for reissues. I have bought and cherished many Mosaic sets, but I don't think it's clear that the label has surpassed the level of Davies' work.

Most of JRT's transfers were needle drops. <_<

FWIW, I'm not always a fan of his transfers. He seemed to go through phases over the years.

Out of curiosity, what are examples of Davies' "needle drops"? I recall that he made an agreement with King Jazz to produce transfers for them, and then evidently objected when the producers sent him lps to copy. He may well have done those, but are there others you know about?

I'm assuming that people here are using the term "needle drop" to refer to copying an lp, not a 78. But maybe you include 78s as well?