red garland- retirement period?

• 3 months later...

Just listened to disc 1 of the new Keystone set, and though I don't know "comeback" Red nearly as well as I do the 1955-62 period, it is some prime-sounding late-period Garland. According to the notes, this was the only time this particular trio (Garland, Leroy Vinnegar, Philly Joe Jones) played together, for a week at the Korner.

Well, thanks, but really, I was just a kid who had an opportunity once or twice and was lucky enough to not fuck it up. That's about as far as that goes.

Really, thank Red, and thank everybody like him.

Thanks for sharing that story JSngry. Your post was very informative and it solidifies and confirms with me my own understanding and love I have for his music. The booklet that comes with the Keystone Korner is well done with lots of remembrances by musicians, journalists and producers that worked with Red and everyone seems to have the same opinion about him and his music.

• 6 years later...
On 1/29/2015 at 8:15 PM, JSngry said:

Does it have him doing those long-ass intros where he takes the harmony apart before putting it back together to go into the tune?

On 10/23/2014 at 3:26 PM, JSngry said:

I'd tentatively offer the last year or two of my life to hear Marchel, Clay, Red, Charles Scott, & Walter Winn on a hot night just one more time.

The Leaning House guy was supposed to put out a release of selected Recovery Room tapes but that fell through. And now Dale McFarland's got stuff up on YouTube.

I know Dale and will ask him about that. He's a good guy, not at all shady.

Here's what's LOL about all that - for the longest, they recorded damn near every night - on 8-TRACK!

Jesus, that was a good band and the type of club to hear them in. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hypes, no narratives, just people playing their lives for whoever showed up and themselves. RIP real jazz.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Leaning House guy was supposed to put out a release of selected Recovery Room tapes but that fell through. And now Dale McFarland's got stuff up on YouTube.

I know Dale and will ask him about that. He's a good guy, not at all shady.

Here's what's LOL about all that - for the longest, they recorded damn near every night - on 8-TRACK!

Jesus, that was a good band and the type of club to hear them in. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hypes, no narratives, just people playing their lives for whoever showed up and themselves. RIP real jazz.

Yes, please find out what you can. This stuff needs to be digitized and placed in archive. I may have to start my own damn jazz archive...

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Amen to that. In 1978 I was a regular at all good jazz clubs in my town and heard great musicians, and like you said it, It was such a wealth of music then and so many occasions to hear that great stuff. The sound of that recordings.......fantastic, you can imagine you are sitting in the club.

About Red Garland himself:

I was astonished how old he looks on this pictures. only few strands of hair left, and slicked back. He looks more like an old clerk than a jazz musician. 

I have a special love for Red Garland: 
When I was 16, the first real jazz album I got was Miles Davis "Steaming". Until then I had heard only some Oscar Peterson at some friends and until then I thought he is the greatest, because I didn´t know others.

When I heard those Garland solos, that nice thing on "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" and that chords on "When I fall in Love"...... I said: THIS IS MUSIC. And I forgot completly about Oscar Peterson. What may be the reason ? Maybe, young and unexperienced how I was then, I nevertheless had a feeling for what means playing music TOGETHER, not just banging all them 88 keys with a grin that means "I am the greatest".....

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

Yes, please find out what you can. This stuff needs to be digitized and placed in archive. I may have to start my own damn jazz archive...

Turns out that these are Dale's personal tapes (reel-to-reel!) that he made for his show on the late, great KCHU-FM, a community radio station that was as ragged as it was right (and vice-versa). He is indeed taking good care of them.

So that leaves the Donnelly collection of Recovery Room tapes that were last heard of in conjunction with Leaning House records.