Joe Gibbs to be hired as Redskins coach

On the topic of NFL coaches:

Two of Bill Belichick's assistants on the New England Patriots have been doing the round of coach interviews from some of the teams looking for a new head coach.

Charlie Weis is our offensive coordinator and Romeo Crennel is our defensive coordinator.

I would personally love to see Weis hit the road, but would sorely miss Crennel.

Crennel is black and I fear that this might encourage all kinds of job interviews. I mean, it would be great for Romeo to have the opportunity to become a head coach, but for selfish reasons I want him to stay. He's damned good.

Weis has been credited with developing Tom Brady as well as working with a team of young receivers. He does deserve credit for what he had done on that score, but the guy can't call a play worth a damn.

He's the worst play caller that I can remember since Pete Carroll was our head coach.

His disdain for the running attack drives me bonkers.

Would someone please hire this guy and take him off our hands?? :P

He's been out of the game for a long time, true, but he's been successful at everything he's ever done in life.

I'm from DC, though living in San Diego, and this is the happiest sports day that I have had since the Redskins last won the Super Bowl in January 1992. I think it's the best hire they could possibly make.

I'm absolutely stunned, and here's the reaction.... :):):):):):):):):):)

He's been out of the game for a long time, true, but he's been successful at everything he's ever done in life.

I'm from DC, though living in San Diego, and this is the happiest sports day that I have had since the Redskins last won the Super Bowl in January 1992. I think it's the best hire they could possibly make.

I'm absolutely stunned, and here's the reaction.... :):):):):):):):):):)

I'd be overjoyed if I were you, Dave.

This man brings excellence to everything he does. He was/is one of the greatest coaches in football in my opinion.

May even re-sign Champ Bailey now. (Rats! ;) )

I think it's the best coaching hire they could've made as well. Certainly gives instant coaching cred, that's for sure. They have alot of roster spots to upgrade still, hopefully between Gibbs and Cerrato they can talk Snyder out of any rash, foolish (re: Deion) signings.

And I'm sure Snyder enjoys making big dramatic shows like this, like his role model, the old Jerry Jones. :)

If Gibbs tries to install Interstate batteries in his running backs, you'll know he's been away too long. Otherwise, I'd think he's still a force to be reckoned with. The guy always had his act together, and that kind of character should not be taken lightly. Look at Dick Vermeil, for instance.

Edited by JSngry

If Gibbs tries to install Interstate batteries in his running backs, you'll know he's been away too long. Otherwise, I'd think he's still a force to be reckoned with. The guy always had his act together, and that kind of character should not be taken lightly. Look at Dick Vermeil, for instance.

I'm sure a running back will be top priority, Jim. Snyder so unwisely got rid of Stephen Davis.

Crennel is black and I fear that this might encourage all kinds of job interviews.

?Que? :huh:

Under NFL rules, teams looking for a head coach must basically interview at least one black candidate. They risk a fine otherwise.

Oh. I didn't realize that. That seems odd.

My father-in-law plays golf with Joe Gibbs on occassion. He is also a good friend and golfing partner of Marty Shottenheimer as well. Both have resided north of Charlotte for a few years now. I've never met either of them, but he speaks highly of both. What that says about their coaching abilities? Nothing really. What this adds to the thread? Nothing really.

That interview rule is strange to me.

It may also be a dfficult adjustment for Gibbs. Since he left, free agency & the salary cap have changed football tremendously. I don't doubt his ability, but the game has changed in some very significant respects since he last coached, and it may take him some time to abosrb those changes.

One of Gibb's strongest suits when he was coaching the first time was his ability to make adjustments at halftime and I bet it won't take him very long to get up to speed. Speaking about speed I wonder how much he new about race cars before he became a NASCAR owner? Whatever he didn't know he caught on fairly quick.

The man is a winner.

Between Parcells & Gibbs, the NFC East promises to be quite interesting in the years to come. Now, where's Buddy Ryan for comic relief?

Hey, Vermeil can weep all he wants as long as he saves it for after the mission's been accomplished. I'd not bet against him against anybody!