Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B-Train, Rubinstein Brahms is a "bargain," sort of, tho' you don't need the last concerto recordings AND...

... if you wait I believe there will be a big Rubinstein box a la Gould, Horowitz, Heifitz, in which case more is more and you'll be glad for everything.

i suggest holding off and getting the Brilliant Medtner box instead--

http://www.amazon.com/Nikolai-Medtner-Complete-Piano-Sonatas/dp/B000YPWBQM

The Polish Chopin period edition is pretty hot, not ultra-bargain but high qual--

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Chopin-Complete-Period-Instruments/dp/B004EQAUZQ

Don't even pretend Uchida on her best day flashing crotch shots from the piano stool beats the least of the performances.

"Clara Haskil Edition", 17 CDs for $43. Even though a lot of the material is on various Membran releases...

41UPSD95cPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[With all the recent music business mergers, I'm having trouble following the labels; here "Decca" also includes Philips and DG]

These are the ones that have my attention at the moment. The Messiaen box is 6 discs for $36, not bad. The Bach Cantatas box is a whopping 22 discs for only about $52.00. The Ligeti box is 5 discs for about $30.

The Bach Cantatas box is now $41.99! I've been listening to this one a lot; a great way to pick up a nice chunk of Bach's vocal works.

Hard to resist. As has often been noted, hanging out on this Board can get expensive laugh.gif

Youri Egorov, Master Pianist - EMI - 7CDs - £14 at amazon.co.uk.

Anybody knows Egorov? Never heard of him.

I think I've heard the name before, but know nothing about him. There's no shortage of good recordings of the repertoire on that box, that's for sure.

FWIW, I googled and found some enthusiastic remarks on a classical music forum I don't frequent...

[Added] I also found some enthusiastic comments on r.m.c.r., including sources I trust (e.g. Nicolas Hodges, Jan Winter), although there's a bit of a suggestion that Egorov's live recordings might be preferable to the studio efforts.

Edited by T.D.

Shostakovich: The String Quartets, 6 CDs for £16.43.

You might as well get the complete Shostakovich quartets performed by the Borodin Quartet for just a bit more: €26 at amazon.de

Are you familiar with this set?

51TAFXW2xpL._SS400_.jpg

No. I have the complete set of Shostakovich quartets played by .. hmm... the Shostakovich Quartet (on Regis), and I am very happy with it.

Some of these are only a bargain if you go to the Amazon zStores and resellers, but the music is pretty grand. Apologies if already posted:

Szell-Haydn

Munch-Romantic Masterworks

Levine-Mahler

Van Cliburn - Piano Concertos

Argerich - Piano Concertos

Leinsdorf-Prokofiev

Haitink - Shostakovich complete symphonies

Not as jaw-droppingly low as some of the others, but still very much value for money.

I would rate Haitink a bit higher than this cycle by Barshai (Barshai - Shostakovich) but really at these prices you might get both. I did -- over the years. ^_^

Nice recommendations! I will respectfully disagree on the Barshai -- I think it's the best cycle out there, bar none!

Well, hard to go wrong with both if you have the stamina and the resources. :P

As far as Shostakovich string quartet cycles, there are 4 or 5 complete ones, and the Pacifica Quartet is now recording one, though this will add in other Soviet composers for a bit of variety. Given that I saw them do the cycle live here in Chicago, they may become a sentimental favorite, though I suspect it will be 2-3 years before the entire cycle is available.

Here's the projected schedule of this upcoming Shostakovich cycle: Pacifica News (yeah, probably not technically a bargain, though they do say each two-CD set will be sold at single CD prices. ;) )

Do I need more CDs -- absolutely not. Will I get these anyway -- probably so.

Edited by ejp626

Clara Haskil, 10 CDs box set for £9.99.

I recommend to read the customr review.

I bought a cheapo 10-CD box (Michelangeli, on Aura rather than Documents). No complaints: the sound quality is better than I expected, and the timings are much more generous than mentioned in the Haskil's customer review.

But the Haskil works I really want are the Beethoven and Mozart violin/piano sonatas with Grumiaux (currently have only one CD of Mozart on Philips). That points to the big EMI box rather than this one, but 17 CDs seems excessive for me (for various reasons)...

But the Haskil works I really want are the Beethoven and Mozart violin/piano sonatas with Grumiaux (currently have only one CD of Mozart on Philips). That points to the big EMI box rather than this one, but 17 CDs seems excessive for me (for various reasons)...

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but there are 4 Mozart sonatas here on 1 CDMozart and 10 Beethoven sonatas on 3 CDs here Beethoven

The Beethoven sonatas are also available on Brilliant for even less: Brilliant Beethoven

Oddly, the Brilliant are reissuing a mono version and the Decca is in stereo. At least according to some of the more informed reviewers. Of course, some of the same reviewers claim the balance on these sets is way off, so who knows.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but there are 4 Mozart sonatas here on 1 CDMozart and 10 Beethoven sonatas on 3 CDs here Beethoven

The Beethoven sonatas are also available on Brilliant for even less: Brilliant Beethoven

Oddly, the Brilliant are reissuing a mono version and the Decca is in stereo. At least according to some of the more informed reviewers. Of course, some of the same reviewers claim the balance on these sets is way off, so who knows.

Thanks. That Philips Mozart sonata disc is the one I own (and it's fantastic). I think the EMI box contains additional Mozart sonatas, not sure how/where they were initially released (otherwise I'd have bought the recording long ago).

I hadn't seen the Brilliant Beethoven box at that price! All kinds of sound quality claims were made in the customer reviews of the EMI Beethoven sonata box, so if the Brilliant is really mono, its sound quality may be preferable. OTOH, some of the Amazon sound quality carpers didn't strike me as the most trustworthy reviewers. :unsure:

A couple of days ago, I lobbed in a low eBay bid, not expecting to win, but wound up with a nice box for $12.99 shipped:

"Beethoven: Les Concertos", 4 French EMI CDs of Beethoven piano/violin ctos (and triple cto and Romances for violin) with Gilels and Oistrakh (Oborin on the Triple Cto and Milstein on the Romances)...

Can't find a picture link that'll post.

(BTW, the long-time r.m.c.r. stalwart Simon Roberts seems to be auctioning off a lot of good recordings these days.)

Anyone who is looking for bargains should check out EMI Icon series.

I already have several sets from this series and the next one I'll order will probably be this:

51tBTulMH3L._SS400_.jpg

11 CDs for £17.99.

From what I've learned, Amazon UK offers the cheapest prices for these box sets.

Link to their catalogue on EMI website.

I highly recommend Alicia De Larrocha EMI 8-CD Icons set - very tasteful playing of Spanish repertoire.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-EMI-Recordings-Alicia-Larrocha/dp/B003D0ZNJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1307781337&sr=1-1

I've run across quite a few bargain sets from EMI France, which I imagine would be very cheap in Europe. They have distinctive covers, for example

419NMC0PJZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(this one is $15 and change in USA for 8 CDs, though I suspect it'd meet with Clem's disapproval)