Д.Д.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Д.Д. but pay attention: according to Brilliat Classic website, these are CDR's.

You mean the reference to "CD-ROM Wallet clamshell"? I don't think this means these would be CDRs. I placed my order, should be here by the end of the week - we'll see.

Thanks Д.Д. but pay attention: according to Brilliat Classic website, these are CDR's.

You mean the reference to "CD-ROM Wallet clamshell"? I don't think this means these would be CDRs. I placed my order, should be here by the end of the week - we'll see.

Maybe you are right. Let me know.

Edited by B. Goren.

Maybe you are right. Let me know.

These are regular CDs.

Thanks.

I received this week these two set:

51ensLnT08L._SS500_.jpg

51Mk3HcGkRL._SS500_.jpg

Each set contains 5 CDs. I paid for each less than £20 (amazon uk) so it can be considered as a bargain.

I have a special and unexplained weakness to the French composers.

Wouldn't it be better the other way around - Roge playing Satie and Thiabudet - Poulenc :)?

No, why?

I received this week these two set:

51Mk3HcGkRL._SS500_.jpg

Each set contains 5 CDs. I paid for each less than £20 (amazon uk) so it can be considered as a bargain.

I have a special and unexplained weakness to the French composers.

I will consider this, but in the meantime, I thought that this box set of orchestral and choral works was quite a bargain, with Roge playing piano in many cases.

403166_1_f.jpg

Amazon link

Here's a nice-looking box I just found, 6 CDs for $22.99 from Newbury Comics via Amazon:

51O3enKlk0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a lot of Grumiaux's Mozart and Bach recordings, and am very fond of his playing. Looks like there isn't too much overlap with this set, and I already own only the Bach works with Jaccottet on harpsichord.

This is a great box set. I really like this series (Decca Original Masters), though I think that they're all officially out-of-print, and some now go for very high prices. That said, I strongly recommend the box sets of:

• Ruggiero Ricci

• Ernest Ansermet

• Wilhelm Backhaus (Beethoven Piano Sonatas)

• Eduard Van Beinum

• Pierre Monteux

The Australian Eloquence label is also an excellent resource for sometimes hard-to-find recordings on Decca, Philips, Deutsche Grammophon, etc. If you like Benjamin Britten, I strongly recommend this CD:

Britten_Eloquence_4768470_GF.jpg

You can currently purchase it new for under $4 here at Amazon. It has the superior (in my opinion) mono version of Britten's Serenade that is NOT on any of the larger Britten box sets. (I don't know about the 37 disc box set. Probably is on that one.)

I listened to a couple of discs from it (Stravinsky and Prokofiev), and man, I really am not sure if I can recommend it. These are some super fast-paced, aggressive, caffeinated versions. This might be a valid take on these works, but probably not to my liking. Will have to listen further.

• 3 weeks later...

And if you still haven't had enough Vivaldi, you can get this set:

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Giardino-Armonico-Concertos-Chambre/dp/B000050G5M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Love this review:

As I write this I am reminded of the two star review of a roasted beet recipe on Epicurious by a woman who confessed she didn't like beets. Well I don't like the high pitch of recorder, and there is a lot of it here. The set should be labeled "Recorder and Friends."

• 2 weeks later...