Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

I was trading in some CDs at Sikora's in Vancouver and I came across 4 CD box sets of Anner Bylsma on Sony Canada (though they can be had relatively cheaply at Amazon.com). A lot of good stuff, released in early 2014, which I had overlooked. However, there is a lot of overlap with the various Vivarte boxes already out there (particularly the Schubert and Beethoven boxes). I will have to be quite careful, particularly with Chamber Music 1 and Chamber Music 2, which seem to have the most overlap with what I already own.

I did pick up the Cello Suites and Sonatas (http://www.amazon.com/Anner-Bylsma-Plays-Cello-Suites/dp/B00GH1X1AM/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_y)

and Cello Concertos/Duets (http://www.amazon.com/Anner-Bylsma-Plays-Concertos-Ensembl/dp/B00GH1X1DY/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_y)

Chamber Music 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Anner-Bylsma-Plays-Chamber-Music/dp/B00GH1X14I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1404010718&sr=1-1&keywords=Anner+Bylsma+Plays+Chamber+Music)

Chamber Music 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Anner-Bylsma-Plays-Chamber-Music/dp/B00GH1X1CU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0T5T4VS0VHP0N76MCGD2)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

41VnDaXIv1L.jpg

less than 29 € at amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Beethoven-Complete-Masterpieces-Ludwig-Van/dp/B000NDEMAI/

Discs 1-5: Die 9 Sinfonien (Tonhalle Orchester Zürich/David Zinman)
Discs 6-7: Ouvertüren (Tonhalle Orchester Zürich/David Zinman)
Disc 8: Die Geschöpfe des Prometheus op. 43 (Ballettmusik) (Litauische Kammerphilharmonie/Karl Anton Rickenbacher
Disc 9 Orchester-,Klavier-, Flöten und Violinwerke
Discs 10-12: Die 5 Klavierkonzerte (Yefim Bronfman/Tonhalle Orchester Zürich/David Zinman)
Disc 13: Violinkonzert op. 61 + Die 2 Violinromanzen op. 40+50 (Christian Tetzlaff/Tonhalleorchester Zürich/David Zinman)
Disc 14: Tripelkonzert op. 56; Septett op. 20 (Yefim Bronfman/Tonhalle Orchester Zürich/David Zinman)
Discs 15-18: Die 10 Violinsonaten (Pinchas Zukerman/George Neikrug)
Discs 19-20: Die 5 Cellosonaten + Variationen (Anner Bylsma/Jos van Immerseel)
Discs 21-25: Die 12 Klaviertrios (Seraphin Trio)
Disc 26: Die Streichtrios op. 3 und op. 8 (L’Archibudelli
Disc 27: Die Streichtrios op. 9,1-3 (Kandinsky String Trio)
Disc 28: Klavierquartett op. 16 (Streicherfassung); Klavierquintett op. 16 (Bläserfassung) (Emanuel Ax/Isaac Stern/ Jaime Lardo/YoYo Ma/Ensemble Wien-Berlin)
Disc 29: Kammermusik für Streicher und Holzbläser (L’Archibudelli)
Disc 30: Oktett op. 103 / Klarinettensextett op. 71 / Märsche für Bäser, u.a. (Mozzafiato)
Discs 31-39: Die 16 Streichquartette (Alexander String Quartet)
Discs 40-50: Die 32 Klaviersonaten (Yukio Yokoyama, Charles Rosen, Vladimir Horowitz, Justus Frantz, Gerhard Oppitz, Robert Casadesus)
Disc 51: Die Bagatellen für Klavier Solo (Yukio Yokoyama)
Disc 52: Die Variationen für Klavier Solo (Yukio Yokoyama)
Disc 53: Diabelli-Variationen + 4 Klavierstücke WoO (Olli Mustonen)
Disc 54: Lieder von den Britischen Inseln (Elaine Woods/Carolyn Watkinson/Richard Salter/Helmut Deutsch)
Disc 55: Christus am Ölberge op. 85 (Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy)
Disc 56: Messe op. 86 (Tokyo Oratorio Society/Ensemble of Tokyo/Wolfdieter Maurer)
Disc 57: Missa Solemnis op. 123 (Tonhalle Orchester Zürich/David Zinman)
Disc 58: Chorwerke (Regine Crespin/ New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Thomas Schippers, Ambrosian Opera Chorus/ London Symphony Orchestra/Tilson Thomas Martina Arroyo/ Justine Diaz/ Camerata Singers)
Discs 59-60: Fidelio op. 72 (Gewandhausorchester Leipzig/Kurt Masur)

(I'm not in, but it might be of interest to some)

I hate those n.n. papersleeve sets (this is apparently one of them) so I wouldn't go for it. I went for this one ( http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00AFOS7Z6/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) when it was around Euro 39.- and am enjoying it very much.

I know that fans of classical music look down with disdain on people who buy these heavily discounted monster sets, but this thread (special thanks to Flurin) plus some others around the Net allowed me to get a core classical collection together fast ... at next to no cost. The other day I picked up the Gould Bach box for around Euro 54 (on Amazon.it for a few seconds), the Julian Bream for "an apple and an egg" (as we say over here), plus a few others (especially excellent baroque music that I enjoy).

If you are selective and actually read before you pull the "buy me now" trigger, right now seems to be the best time on covering your classical bases. I tried to make sure that I'm not doubling up that much and that the performances are above average and better, and so far ... I'm a happy camper.

Thanks Flurin, and the many others who post here whenever they come across decent bargains and interesting sets.

Much appreciated.

Edited by neveronfriday

Hey, I'm building a collection myself, so yeah, obviously there's MUCH interest in these boxes here! Glad posting links helps you (and yes, I'm not the only one doing this of course!)

Re: Beethoven, I went for the EMI box, which looked more tempting to me than the DG one (and the Sony, too). But the EMI is OOP and is a rather lousy package (booklet has no recording dates, you only get the (P) and © years, often in bulk), it comes in papersleeves, too, and there are no notes whatsoever ...

I assume packaging of the DG is similar to the All-Baroque box (i.e. cardboard sleeves but generic front covers w/info on the back)?

The Vivarte box goes for a pretty nice price too (€ 54):

http://www.amazon.it/Vivarte-Collection-Abraham-Van-Kerckhoven/dp/B00AOTZ156/

And so does the *great* All-Baroque Box from DG (€ 62):

http://www.amazon.it/The-All-Baroque-Various-Artists/dp/B008BP1LS6/

Henze for € 51:

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00ECTZJXI/

Boulez for € 40:

http://www.amazon.it/Complete-Works-Ltd-Pierre-Boulez/dp/B00BLDHPZS/

Philips Original Jackets for € 60:

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0091HVMVO/

Crazy! The Vivarte has been even cheaper now and then though, but still ... never saw the All-Baroque even remotely close to that price range and I really love that one!

Vivarte box = mostly good or better

DG baroque box = most mediocre or worse

Henze = "interesting," not "great"

Boulez = was an excellent conductor for a time, is, finally, neglible as composer. Were one to listen to Schoenberg opus by opus (including dates of non opus works), as one can with the (mostly) Boulez Webern, the fussy (to say the least) weaknesses of Boulez's dots-on-paper are glaring.

Phllips Original Jacket = mostly mediocre

to be continued...

I know that fans of classical music look down with disdain on people who buy these heavily discounted monster sets, but this thread (special thanks to Flurin) plus some others around the Net allowed me to get a core classical collection together fast ... at next to no cost. The other day I picked up the Gould Bach box for around Euro 54 (on Amazon.it for a few seconds), the Julian Bream for "an apple and an egg" (as we say over here), plus a few others (especially excellent baroque music that I enjoy).

Never, I'm 1000% for everyone listening to as much classical music as possible, make no mistake. The trouble with these boxes is twofold. First is obvious-- getting far more than one can listen to, absorb, understand, unless you read music and have scores available etc. That's not a HUGE issue-- some brilliant composers have been autodidacts-- but, even as a once heavy "collector", it's preferable to know x # of works very well than to drown, disc-by-disc-by-disc-by-disc by neverending disc in the mass of it all.

Second, tho' a # of the boxes from Brilliant are more enterprising, the major label regurgitations are vomiting up A LOT of same old same old same old sams old shit, repeatedly, and again.

Martinu, for example, is one of the giants of the 20th century, in all manner of forms including great but little known ballet, choral etc.

I used to think he was somewhat undone by his profligacy but I'd strong refute that now.

In any case, you could buy two-three-four DOZEN of these boxes and have how much Martinu? Unless BMG snuck some Firkusny in there, the answer is NONE.

BIS does some amazing boxes but generally of less outre repertoire tho' the Villa-Lobos set is astounding--

MI0002886053.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

etc etc.

typricall less than great graphics but musically this is recommedned over the contents of most other boxes--

Tallis-Complete-Works.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tallis-Complete-Chapelle-Du-Roi/dp/B005JWXA1K

this is worthwhile too, probably moreso than the Erato and big DG sets, though they are larger and have their virtues--

Messiaen_2174662.jpg

http://www.amazon.fr/Messiaen-Anniversary-14-CDs-Various/dp/B001DCQJUO

Surely disagree on the Baroque box!

Hah... I actually thought you were being sarcastic with *great*. While I love much of the repertoire, I'd say there's only five-- ten absolutely tops, in a pinch-- of those discs I'd recommend seperately (Goebel/MAK Telemann (& maybe Heinechen), Minkowski Handel). McCreesh, Gardiner, Pinnock have almost uniformly been outclassed though some Pinnock recordings were OK at the time.

Edited by MomsMobley

Guess I'm interested in how interpretation evolved, too, so not only looking for "the best" (wouldn't even really know how to do that, where I want HIP, where not, what kind of approach with what work etc. - I'm learning as I continue my explorations, developing and discovering my preferences).

Love, for instance, the Gardiner in the All-Baroque box. There may be more "accurate" or "correct" or "adequate" recordings of Monteverdi's Orfeo, but none grabs me as much as Gardiner's, who has the best singer in the title role - at least so I hear it.

But mind me, I'm no expert and my classical journey started inky two years back.

(edit for typos made on dumbphone ... note so self: stop posting on smartphone, it sucks)

Edited by king ubu

Ah! Problem with Gardiner is tempo, timbre, sometimes vocalists. I'd take raw Harnoncourt I (Teldec) or the video over JEG in Monteverdi; in fact, the only Gardiner that still ranks is some of his Purcell (on Erato) & the odd modern bit here/there like his Schumann (oddly enough) & Grainger.

gotta 'see through' the production to an extent here but--

Edited by MomsMobley

I have La Venexiana's "Orfeo" - it's good. Also Rinaldini's - even better. But still, I prefer Gardiner, can't help it. Not a fan of Savall's so far, but I've heard little.

No idea what my stance on Gardiner will be in ten years, but right now, I'm in. Love his Bach cantatas and more. And his Mozart operas, too. And then the piano concertos with Bilson (you still owe me a reply btw, regarding why you think Perahia sucks bigtime in those - I enjoy his recordings quite some though they're not top favourites).

As for H ... in colloquial german I'm tempted to say he's got a "Knall" - read a lenghty interview where he complains about being the first and last and only one caring for historical performance practice, that there are no younger ones taking over, so he still has to handle the whole workload ... and other crap. Not sure how to what extent the guy asking the questions is to blame, but really, H is a dick, and that's putting it mildly. Of course again that doesn't disqualify his musical merits, but his Monteverdi (haven't heard "Orfeo") is pretty odd (also way over the top regarding orchestra size, it seems?). I've got some Haydn masses I've enjoyed though, and a few other things, mostly choral/sacred (but I don't need boys singing Bach cantatas, so I've heard none of those so far).

(uhm, "Rinaldini" being Rinaldo Alessandrini of course - I never get his name right, but I love pretty much everything I've heard, including his take on Monteverdi's "Vespro")

Hey, I'm building a collection myself, so yeah, obviously there's MUCH interest in these boxes here! Glad posting links helps you (and yes, I'm not the only one doing this of course!)

Re: Beethoven, I went for the EMI box, which looked more tempting to me than the DG one (and the Sony, too). But the EMI is OOP and is a rather lousy package (booklet has no recording dates, you only get the (P) and © years, often in bulk), it comes in papersleeves, too, and there are no notes whatsoever ...

I assume packaging of the DG is similar to the All-Baroque box (i.e. cardboard sleeves but generic front covers w/info on the back)?

Again, thanks Flurin!

Re more recent postings, and that is the real kicker, for those living in the EU, Amazon Italy has had such drastic price reductions these past months that I have, for the first time in my life, dropped my cocktail(s) and fine dinner weekends (only four, to be honest) in favour of securing some of these boxed sets. :D

Surely disagree on the Baroque box!

Hah... I actually thought you were being sarcastic with *great*. While I love much of the repertoire, I'd say there's only five-- ten absolutely tops, in a pinch-- of those discs I'd recommend seperately (Goebel/MAK Telemann (& maybe Heinechen), Minkowski Handel). McCreesh, Gardiner, Pinnock have almost uniformly been outclassed though some Pinnock recordings were OK at the time.

I'm surprised (as a "beginner").

I really enjoyed that set (perhaps more than many others).

I think I have too much of the Janis already to make this worthwhile for me. Also, while I like having access to original covers (perhaps in a booklet), I am not an obsessive over the original album format. In fact, I generally don't care for it when it means nearly all the CDs are under 40 minutes (as with the Janis and the Living Stereo set #2).

I wouldn't say that this Masterworks Heritage is an amazing deal (it's over 1 pound per CD ;) ) but there are some fine performances: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterworks-Heritage-Collection-Various-Artists/dp/B00CUPQHT6/ref=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DMRF10VK2J7WC96WHW7

The problem for me is that I have an awful lot of the ones that would interest me, so I will be passing on this set.

Never, I'm 1000% for everyone listening to as much classical music as possible, make no mistake. The trouble with these boxes is twofold. First is obvious-- getting far more than one can listen to, absorb, understand, unless you read music and have scores available etc. That's not a HUGE issue-- some brilliant composers have been autodidacts-- but, even as a once heavy "collector", it's preferable to know x # of works very well than to drown, disc-by-disc-by-disc-by-disc by neverending disc in the mass of it all.

Second, tho' a # of the boxes from Brilliant are more enterprising, the major label regurgitations are vomiting up A LOT of same old same old same old sams old shit, repeatedly, and again.

MomsMobley,

thanks for your thoughts!

Although my mom was a (quite successful) concert pianist in her younger days, my dad's jazz collection exerted a much more devastating (in financial terms) influence on me.

I'm just beginning to enjoy classical music (again) a lot more than I have, perhaps, previously done.

It's difficult to explain, but I don't think I have managed to develop "an ear" for excellent classical performances in the same way that I might possibly have managed for jazz.

Yes, there are a few single performances that I (with my ears and my experience) have sought out after much reading and listening (one example: Maria João Pires' rendition of "Von fremden Menschen und Ländern" [schumann], perhaps my single most-favorite tune (due to my mom), is, after having sampled every single one that I am aware of, my favourite performance).

For someone who doesn't have THAT much classical music at home, Decca, DG, Sony, and the many other labels have, in my eyes, gone down the correct road by re-releasing the "same old ... same old", which I simply don't/didn't have. That kind of reissue programme drives me up the wall in regard to my jazz collection, simply because I have most of whatever is being released time and again, but in regard to classical music, it serves me more than fine. :)

Again, I'm a beginner and I have enough money to "waste" on these boxed sets to get my bearings. Unfortunately, once I have managed to get my bearings, more money will need to be spent on hunting down better renditions of what I like. That has been my modus operandi these past decades.

In regard to the sheer mass of music, which (absolutely no doubt about it) can be totally overwhelming when ten to fifteen 55-CD boxed sets roll in, I have never had the feeling that I did not have time to listen to all of it at least once.

Music has been my passion for just about 45 years now, and that is a lot of seconds, minutes and hours I have spent on actually also listening to what I have ... and enjoying it. Yes, a lot of it might instantly be relegated to the remote parts of my shelf system, but there's always something that sticks (and is pulled out again and again).

"Hearses don't have luggage racks" is perhaps the one single statement that stuck with me these past 30 to 40 years, but I sure as hell do not want to miss out on listening to as much as I can before I kick the bucket. Most of it is just too damn good and uplifting. If it's in a thrown-together 60-CD boxed set, so be it (for now).

Cheers!

Edited by neveronfriday

Cheers on all that, Volkher - very much in the same boat as you, also regarding the All-Baroque box. Moms may have a point if you go through it work by work, but to me, it amounts to a sh*tload of enjoyable and yes, to my ears and still pretty limited knowledge, very good performances. In many cases I do have other recordings and I'd not say those in the box are less good than the others I've heard, they have their merits, while others have other merits, obviously (regarding, to pick out one example, "Messiah", Christie clearly does it for me, but I'd never call the Pinnock or McCreesh bad, just as I'd never come up with the concept that they're "surpassed" - the Harnoncourt from 2004 still needs to be listened).

Just in case, amazon.it has a prohibitive price on the Abbado DG symphonies box right now - I just gave in, at € 50.90 (minus VAT, ends up at less than 42 for me and will easily pass custom, too):

513DgOYvRrL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.it/Claudio-Abbado-Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart/dp/B00BN1QV0S/