Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

A medieval/renaissance/baroque musician could easily spend their career researching, performing, recording works that have rarely or never been heard for 100s of years. Advances-- and that's generally what they are-- in performance practice also make a goodly % of re-recordings viable.

Now you aren't arguing against Perahia, you are arguing against recording core repertoire at all. For me, I can hear differences in individual performers' performance approaches, even if I have heard the piece played in the same general style before. Horowitz, Gould, Rubinstein, and yes even Perahia can all play the same piece and I will get something a bit different out of each one. When I listen to classical music, I am listening for the differences that make a performance unique, not looking for some absolute correct approach that makes any further recordings superfluous.

There are aspects of Perahia's playing of Mozart that I find quite unique. It has a languid, fluid beauty that I admire. Maybe you want it to be masculine and angular and powerful. Well, I might too. But that doesn't mean I don't like Perahia's approach too.

I don't see core repertoire as a static thing at all. In the hands of a gifted interpreter, the performer himself can be almost as important to the work as the composer. I'm not looking for accurate and proper performances. I want unique ones that are consistent to their own aesthetic, not my expectations.

In theory, yes, but those are NOT the interpretations you're getting. Compare Murray in any single piece he recorded to one by, say, the brilliant, highly individualistic Ernst Levy. They're not even on the same planet.

And again, to explain the relative dullity of Murray's mind, how telling it is that ** NOTHING ** except the so-called "core" engages him? Not one even piece? Just the same exact crap (& brilliance) recorded dozens upon dozens upon dozens of times before.

40 years of Murray isn't a "box" it's a coffin.

A testament to marketing and one pianist's unquenchable ego: Murray against 100 years of cylinders, shellac, vinyl, tape & digital data whatsis.

Perahia's career is everything that's wrong with classical music-- a vast & vastly more diverse, entertaining, humorous, sublime, thorny, just plain weird & thrilling place then he cares to even suggest (Natch, for doing so would unflatteringly reveal himself.)

This may be an engaging issue for psychology or literature (think Murray will find his Thomas Bernhard or Janice Galloway*?) but until/unless he acknowledges co-existence in the world of Faure, Medtner, Rzewksi & (just to keep it "jazzy") Stefan Wolpe's "Passacaglia," George Flynn "Trinity" etc etc (Murray could/should offer us his own examples, as these have been well recorded already) he's a blight on music, anomalous Bartok recital included.

I like York Bowen a lot, as did Sorabji--

i usually prefer Dussek on fortepiano but just to show what Murray could do with any gumption--

* Scottish novelist, here thinking of her great historical fiction on Clara Schumann--

http://www.amazon.com/Clara-A-Novel-Janice-Galloway/dp/0684844494

Edited by MomsMobley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recommend the Gould DVD set. It's as good as the Bernstein Young People and Harvard lectures. Indispensable.

I don't find core repertoire dull at all, Moms. I find it to be a never ending font of inspiration. It's a huge part of my life. But maybe that's because I'm dull myself. (But you sure wouldn't think that if you were with me on a Saturday night!)

Edited by Bigshot

I recommend the Gould DVD set. It's as good as the Bernstein Young People and Harvard lectures. Indispensable.

I don't find core repertoire dull at all, Moms. I find it to be a never ending font of inspiration. It's a huge part of my life. But maybe that's because I'm dull myself. (But you sure wouldn't think that if you were with me on a Saturday night!)

Bigshot, we agree there, absolutely-- and I'm not at all suggesting we forsake the Austro-German, Chopin & other heritages, just that though a few of his recordings are quite good, most of Perahia's output is merely accomplished, pleasant and does NOT offer significant interpretative insights, this timidness reflected by his lack of enterprise. (Present illuninates the past & vice-versa etc.) The Murray case especially galling because he records rather prolifically, we're not talking eccentrics like Radu Lupu or Nelson Freire (who at least does Villa-Lobos) etc.

to the extent baroque repertoire has canon, I'm grateful for the multiple recordings of, say, Rameau "Hippolyte & Aricie"-- the 1965 Anthony Lewis set with Janet Baker is marvelous, despite research-in-progress on how to perform such a work.

meanwhile, compare & contrast. the instruments heighten the differences, yes, but...

for what earthly purpose (besides ego & $$$) would Murray make a recording like this?

Edited by MomsMobley

Mine came in yesterday. My pregnant wife complained about bringing it into the house!

Where to start? I'm going to hit the American stuff first. He was outstanding when it came to performing works from fellow countrymen.

Good thing you didn't buy the Rubinstein, the Bernstein boxes are a pocket book compared to the pianist set . Mine is still in the middle of the bedroom because I have no idea where to put it ...

Edited by Van Basten II

Like many here have said, this place costs me too much money :-). I just ordered the Bernstein Symphonies Edition for $89.34 including shipping from Amazon.uk. Amazon.it was $94 and change after currency exchange. Either way, cheaper than Amazon.com so I went for it, pushed by Daniel's post that it may be out of print.