Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a few individual discs but didn't know the box existed. Got it for about $30.

51ZrvQyyHcL.jpg

Chuck, I've owned about 1/2 of those over the years, great series even when versions not 'definitive' (usually a false grail anyway.

I'm guessing they just offer tracklists and not repros of the booklets? Stravinsky, Hindemith, Villa-Lobos, Medtner, Roussel/Schmitt, Bartok were all faves. The Messiaen, Shosty & Elgar I had elsewhere etc.

Don't know why EMI can't spend a few hours w/ intern to scan booklets and offer on disc or website but they're hardly the only ones so callous. (Conversely, they occasionally do it right: they're take on a Messiaen Edition remastered Ollie's solo organ works & did include texts.)

For the opera buffs  Plasson box 38 cds for 35 Euros on Amazon France

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008NIS38C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1642&creative=19458&creativeASIN=B008NIS38C&linkCode=as2&tag=bpclass-21&linkId=B66K3TGE7OOVZVK7

Am I the only one having the reply box freaking out at times, it takes a while before it opens properly ?

Edited by Van Basten II

I bought the Vienna box and the Oistrakh box at Amazon.it yesterday. The Vienna box was 55,12 and the Oistrakh was 12,71 after VAT was taken off. Can't beat a deal like that with a stick!

vienna box comes to $90 with shipping, which is exorbitant for mailing.  $20 more in the U.S., which will drop.  I can wait.

Edited by Stefan Wood

I was actually recommended to go here from Chuck's link.  The 20th Century Masterpieces box is a bit more to my own taste, and I only have a few of these specific performances.

http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Masterpieces-16-CDs/dp/B001DCQJUY/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1435601598&sr=1-6&keywords=warner+twentieth+century

There are a few Amazon re-sellers offering this for around $25,which seems like a pretty good deal.

Edited by ejp626
clarity

Vienna + Oistrakh + 2 Blu-Rays = same shipping

True.  But I had purchased the Oistrakh for under 10 pounds at amazon Uk and have no need to buy blue rays, what with streaming being a good alternative.  I've had not happy experiences with amazon it ever since they jacked their rates up for US customers.

• 3 weeks later...

New Horowitz set  on Amazon.es featuring unreleased  recordings from 1966 to 1983 50 cds for 42 Euros

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00RKSTMCC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=3626&creative=24822&creativeASIN=B00RKSTMCC&linkCode=as2&tag=bonsplanscl05-21

71gREW6n7ZL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for the tip.  I've just looked it up - it's now down to 32.90 eur.  Packaging looks like a Dick's Picks release!

went for it earlier today ... will they come through in such a case? (aDE has it for 170€ and gives an october release date ... guess it must be a mistake on aES's end?)

link: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00RKSTMCC/

coming in October, too:

81SXZRa9whL._SL1487_.jpg

Classical and Early Romantic

Arleen Auger, Barbara Bonney, James Bowman, Emma Kirkby, Malcolm Binns, Martyn Hill, Andras Schiff, Esterhazy Quartet, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood, The Consort of Musicke, Anthony Rooley, The New London Consort, Philip Pickett, Les Talens Lyriques, Christophe Rousset

• A 50 CD Original Jackets Collection celebrating the greatest Classical and early romantic recordings from Decca’s pioneering early music label L’Oiseau-Lyre.

• The box features orchestral, vocal, chamber and solo piano music from Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, Malcolm Binns, Andras Schiff, the Music Party, the Esterhazy Quartet among others.

• Many of the recordings in the box are available for the first time on CD internationally:

o Malcolm Binns’ complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas (the first complete recorded cycle on period instruments)
o The Music Party performing Mozart’s Serenades K375 (sextet version) and K525 (Eine Kleine Nachtmusik) and chamber works by Krommer, Crussel, Weber, Schumann and Glinka
o Mozart’s String Quintets K515 and K516 performed by the Esterhazy quartet
o Selections of Beethoven and Weber songs from Martyn Hill accompanied by Christopher Hogwood
o Piano works by Haydn, Chopin and Liszt on period instruments from Malcolm Binns

CD 1 – Stamitz: Three Symphonies; Clarinet Concerto
The Academy of Ancient Music • Christopher Hogwood
CD 2 – Boccherini: Symphonies
CD 3 – Haydn: Cello Concertos
CD 4 – Haydn: Symphonies Nos. 96 & 94
CD 5 – Haydn: Symphonies Nos. 100 & 104
CD 6 – Haydn: Arianna a Naxos; Berenice
Arleen Augér • Handel and Haydn Society • Christopher Hogwood
CD 7 – Haydn: Masses
Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford • The Academy of Ancient Music • Simon Preston
CD 8-9 – Haydn: The Creation
CD 10-11 – Haydn: Orfeo ed Eurydice
Cecilia Bartoli • The Academy of Ancient Music • Christopher Hogwood CD 12 – Mozart: Piano Sonatas Nos. 16 & 17 etc.
András Schiff
CD 13 – Mozart: Clarinet & Horn Quintets; Oboe Quartet
Academy Of Ancient Music Chamber Ensemble
CD 14 – Mozart: SerenadesK375 and K525 (“Eine kleine Nachtmusik”)
The Music Party • Alan Hacker
CD 15 – Mozart: String Quintets 2 & 3
The Esterhazy Quartet
CD 16 – Serenade for 13 Winds K. 361
Amadeus Winds • Christopher Hogwood
CD 17 – Symphony no. 29, Symphony in F K.19a, Divertimento K.136
CD 18 Mozart: Symphonies Nos. 31 & 40
CD 19 Mozart: Flute & Harp Concerto; Bassoon Concerto
CD 20 – Mozart: Horn Concertos
CD 21 – Mozart Piano Concertos K.453 and K.466
Robert Levin • The Academy of Ancient Music • Christopher Hogwood
CD 22 – Mozart: Mass in C Minor; Coronation Mass
CD 23-25 Mozart: Così fan tutte
Drottningholm Court Theatre Orchestra • Arnold Östman
CD 26 – Beethoven: Songs
Martyn Hill • Christopher Hogwood
CD 27-36 – Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1 -32
Malcolm Binns
CD37 – Beethoven: Piano & Wind Quintets; Mozart: Quintet K.452
CD 38 – Beethoven: Septet; Weber: Clarinet Quintet
CD 39 – Beethoven: Symphony no. 3 in E flat “Eroica”
CD 40 – Beethoven Symphony no. 9 in D Minor “Choral”
CD 41 – Hummel: Piano Sonatas; Haydn: Andante con Variazioni; Chopin: Barcarolle
Malcolm Binns
CD 42 – Hummel, Crussell & Krommer Clarinet Quartets
The Music Party
CD 43 – Schubert: 3 Violin Sonatas
Jaap Schröder • Christopher Hogwood
CD 44 – Schubert & Mendelssohn Violin Sonatas
Jaap Schröder • Christopher Hogwood
CD 45 – Schubert: Piano Quintet – “Trout”; 7 Lieder
Academy of Ancient Music • Chamber Ensemble
CD 46 – Schubert: Octet
CD 47 – Mendelssohn: Cello Sonatas
Christophe Coin • Patrick Cohen
CD 48 – Weber: Songs
Martyn Hill • Christopher Hogwood
CD 49 – Trios by Weber, Schumann & Glinka
The Music Party
CD 50 – Liszt Piano Works
Malcolm Binns

http://umusicdirect.com/classics/*/Box-Sets/Classical-and-Early-Romantic/4Q9704G6000

and these, mid September - they both look mighty tempting:

819LkQnNVOL._SL1500_.jpg

71K07-iKoPL._SL1500_.jpg

81eGawSQWtL._SL1500_.jpg

An Earl Wild complete RCA and a Marcel Dupré complete Mercury are coming up, too.

re: Horowitz deal on aES, there we go:

Nos ponemos en contacto contigo para informarte de que el precio de "Vladimir Horowitz in Recital-Compl.Columbia Rec." (ASIN: B00RKSTMCC) era manifiestamente erróneo en el momento en que realizaste el pedido en Amazon.es, por lo que lo hemos cancelado y no te hemos cargado el importe del mismo.

so the answer is: no  :(

re: Horowitz deal on aES, there we go:

Nos ponemos en contacto contigo para informarte de que el precio de "Vladimir Horowitz in Recital-Compl.Columbia Rec." (ASIN: B00RKSTMCC) era manifiestamente erróneo en el momento en que realizaste el pedido en Amazon.es, por lo que lo hemos cancelado y no te hemos cargado el importe del mismo.

so the answer is: no  :(

same here...