• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Handel Edition Brilliant box 65 cds for $21

Sure, half of it could be crap, but for that kind of dough, why not take a chance?

I'd be careful, SW-- can't find exact listing of contents/performers (other Amazon sites have the back cover credits but they're not  readable) but first of all, you're getting all the concertos, chamber music, keyboard suites, i.e. a bulk of things you almost certainly have & might not want again.... Second, if you look back to Brilliant's previous Handel sets--

http://www.amazon.com/Masterworks-G-F-Handel/dp/B00062FLI8

(there's a second Handel Brilliant set w/ dvd but I can't seem to paste it, is new board still buggy?)

which this appears to replicate in large part... prob better to hold fire & get a Handel opera or oratorio you really want?

Mo' bones & smaller but the Decca Handel set from 2009 was very good overall, old Marriner ASMF on top form even w/ modern instruments

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Masterworks-CDs-Various-artists/dp/B00265TP4E/

Edited by MomsMobley

It's not a complete set, nor it is touted to be like the previous box either.    As for their boxes in general, the Shostakovich and the Dvorak sets are front to back outstanding.

SW-- I'm not anti-Brilliant, rather pro-Handel! I found the complete contents btw-- (I'd also add nobody can make the early Dvorak string quartets outstanding but Stamitz there do as well as anyone, their Martinu & Janacek are v. good also)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/edition-box/hnum/7697204?iampartner=n31

You can decide for yourself what groupings of works etc are desirable here but within the oratorios they include, I'd recommend... NONE, maybe the Markus Creed cond. "Jephta" but really even that a distant third choice, after the superb live Biondi cond. on BIS & peak-period Gardiner. Creed's band is good...

Depending how much of the concertos & chamber etc one needs and the performances, it might be worthwhile-- the Brilliant Corelli box is recommendable, for example, if not a first choice in any pieces-- but esp. in baroque where timbre & improvisatory zing! are so important... I'm wary & in the case of the oratorios, pining elsewhere.

Shosty box is very good but do ttry to hear avant- &/or wacky DSCH of "The Nose" & the early ballets also.

Edited by MomsMobley

Sure, half of it could be crap, but for that kind of dough, why not take a chance?

For the Canuck here  Amazon. Canada sells it 26 loonies without shipping fees  and no need to  transfer Canadiaan to US bucks, thanks for the tip, have nothing by the fellow should be a welcome addition.

It's not a complete set, nor it is touted to be like the previous box either.    As for their boxes in general, the Shostakovich and the Dvorak sets are front to back outstanding.

SW-- I'm not anti-Brilliant, rather pro-Handel! I found the complete contents btw-- (I'd also add nobody can make the early Dvorak string quartets outstanding but Stamitz there do as well as anyone, their Martinu & Janacek are v. good also)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/edition-box/hnum/7697204?iampartner=n31

You can decide for yourself what groupings of works etc are desirable here but within the oratorios they include, I'd recommend... NONE, maybe the Markus Creed cond. "Jephta" but really even that a distant third choice, after the superb live Biondi cond. on BIS & peak-period Gardiner. Creed's band is good...

Depending how much of the concertos & chamber etc one needs and the performances, it might be worthwhile-- the Brilliant Corelli box is recommendable, for example, if not a first choice in any pieces-- but esp. in baroque where timbre & improvisatory zing! are so important... I'm wary & in the case of the oratorios, pining elsewhere.

Shosty box is very good but do ttry to hear avant- &/or wacky DSCH of "The Nose" & the early ballets also.

Moms, you are probably correct in your assessment.  Apparently a lot of the material is culled from the Handel Portrait Brilliant box, which received mixed reviews.  This is something that, at it's current price offering, is too good to pass up, as I have no Handel music.  It may not be the best, but I'm not necessarily looking for the best.  It's all relative to what one wants out of the set.  In a completely different box set, Vivaldi, I was happy with the Marriner box until Larry Kart got my attention with his praise of the naive cds.  I picked one up and was blown away by the vibrancy of the playing.  Out went the Marriner. 

Edited by Stefan Wood

• 2 weeks later...

ImportCDs has the Philips: Original Jackets Collection box (55 CDs) for $51.70.

81DR6gohXNL._SL1500_.jpg

Also, these sets tend to go up in price after the initial release date.

Not clear what this means, but Amazon no longer has a price listed for this box.

Not clear what this means, but Amazon no longer has a price listed for this box.

Near certain Amazon realized the pricing error, as word of this 'deal' has turned up elsewhere too.

And not to begrudge anyone's enjoyment & whatnot, but really, whether $21 or $121, this set is almost certainly a false economy, thus I did not order one as the repertoire that might be in good or better performnces, I already have & that which isn't... i.e. all the oratorios & more, how did Dick Curless put it?

Two best Handel boxes are the Decca 30 cd & the Alan Curtis cond. 15 cd, all opera.

Edited by MomsMobley

I don't believe in holding out for the absolute "perfect" performance. I'd rather listen a variety of good performances. Each one illuminates a different aspect of the composition. I think a lot of people who say they only listen to one specific "perfect" recording aren't necessarily listening to it because of the quality, but just because they've just gotten used to it through repeated listening. It's like a baby duck being patterned to recognize its mother.

Edited by Bigshot

I don't believe in holding out for the absolute "perfect" performance. I'd rather listen a variety of good performances. Each one illuminates a different aspect of the composition. I think a lot of people who say they only listen to one specific "perfect" recording aren't necessarily listening to it because of the quality, but just because they've just gotten used to it through repeated listening. It's like a baby duck being patterned to recognize its mother.

we don't diagree BS but nobody (few) were extolling the components of his Handel set, people just get wideeyed with a deal. Once you sort it out (20+ discs concertos & chamber music etc), the largely outdated oratorio performances....

I'd take the interested Handelian by the paw & have them buy ONE first rate opera or oratorio or vocal disc + orchestral disc & explore from there (living in town, county, region with half-decent library helps). If one really wants to Somary oratorios (ex-Vanguard) for a few moments felicitous singing per se... there are ways.

But for want of a few "kopecks", nearly everyone on this board can bo better making their own selection "a la carte."

That said, thirty bones U.S. + shipping can get you the Stamitz 4-tet Czech box, which I do recommend, though early Dvorak tends to be more engaging if you follow along with the score--

http://www.amazon.com/Czech-String-Quartets-Stamitz-Quartet/dp/B00CMQNCZA

That said, thirty bones U.S. + shipping can get you the Stamitz 4-tet Czech box, which I do recommend, though early Dvorak tends to be more engaging if you follow along with the score--

http://www.amazon.com/Czech-String-Quartets-Stamitz-Quartet/dp/B00CMQNCZA

Would you go for the big one or for the Dvorák only? Not that it makes much of a difference in price, but I don't buy stuff just to clog up shelf space (there's none left anyway)

With Moms re: Händel Brilliant box - doesn't really look enticing to me, didn't order ... and won't, I guess (though I do need some more chamber music eventually).

It is offered on a very cheap price on most Amazons , in the US 45 $, in Maple syrup country  57 $ and something along those lines in Euro versions of the site.81vD5N%2B3FYL._SX522_.jpg

B y the way the search function is useless since we switched boards, it is a pain in the butt tracking down info , anybody has a trick tried to go the Google route but it is not that much efficient.

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...