Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Popmarket.com (http://www.popmarket.com/) has for $139.99 the new Glenn Gould box.  Use coupon myplay10 for 10% off making it $125.99.

http://t.fans.myplaydirect.com

Glenn Gould Remastered – The Complete Album Collection

The real Glenn Gould – the definite remastering!

Glenn Gould Remastered – The Complete Album Collection refurbishes Gould’s complete catalog of approved studio recordings in an 81 CD limited edition box set using state-of-the-art Direct Stream Digital® (DSD) mastering technology. Features deluxe packaging with 416-page hard cover book!

Limited Edition 81-CD Box Set

Glenn Gould’s complete Columbia album collection on 78 CDs

Remastered from the original analogue tapes using state-of-the-art Direct Stream Digital® mastering technology, etc...

If they offer that at such a low price, the lady must have had some generous Russian sponsor ... no wonder nobody buys Miklos Spányi's complete recording on period keyboards, all single CDs at normal price. I know he had to pay for the recording sessions himself, the label just finances the pressing and such. But it must be dull to listen to all that on modern piano. 

If they offer that at such a low price, the lady must have had some generous Russian sponsor ... no wonder nobody buys Miklos Spányi's complete recording on period keyboards, all single CDs at normal price. I know he had to pay for the recording sessions himself, the label just finances the pressing and such. But it must be dull to listen to all that on modern piano. 

I recently asked about Spanyi when there was a sale, but got no recommendations at all ... there are like ... 300 discs, so where to start?

First impression is not dull at all, rather quite surprising, but I'm only two discs in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Claudio Abbado: The Complete RCA And Sony Album Collection (39 discs) £33.89 at Amazon UK.

50 Great Recordings (Sony collection) £34.99 at Amazon UK.

Willi Boskovsky: Ballroom Classics (11 discs) £17.16 at Amazon UK.

Dennis Russell Davies: Complete Haydn Symphonies (37 discs) £21.32 at Amazon UK.

Living Stereo (60 discs) £49.99 at Amazon UK.

Welcome to Mode's third Bulletin of 2015. The Mode website is still not up to date, but here are two more recent releases to complete our 2015.

And, we are very proud to receive the Deutschschallplattenkritikspreis 2015 for Best New Music Release.

This is the German equivalent of The Grammy! Read on below!

In this Bulletin, 2 new/recent releases by:

- Iannis XENAKIS

- Gerard PAPE

Plus  A MODE 15% OFF SALE through Wednesday, 30 December!

(excluding low stock and out of stock items)

http://www.moderecords.com/

No idea how it works, but my dealings with them have always been straightforward, if a little atypical in the methodology. And the catalog is rich.

On 2015-10-23 at 6:44 PM, alankin said:

Popmarket.com (http://www.popmarket.com/) has for $139.99 the new Glenn Gould box.  Use coupon myplay10 for 10% off making it $125.99.

http://t.fans.myplaydirect.com

Glenn Gould Remastered – The Complete Album Collection

The real Glenn Gould – the definite remastering!

Glenn Gould Remastered – The Complete Album Collection refurbishes Gould’s complete catalog of approved studio recordings in an 81 CD limited edition box set using state-of-the-art Direct Stream Digital® (DSD) mastering technology. Features deluxe packaging with 416-page hard cover book!

Limited Edition 81-CD Box Set

Glenn Gould’s complete Columbia album collection on 78 CDs

Remastered from the original analogue tapes using state-of-the-art Direct Stream Digital® mastering technology, etc...

Different remasterings than the previous Original Jacket Collection box?! Also, note that the latest box has 81 CD:s as opposed to the 80 discs in the "coffin" edition...

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Great set! Pop Market doesn't have it any longer however. Yes, completely remastered for this edition in DSD.

Thanks, Lon. Have you had any opportunity to compare with the earlier set? I find some of the sessions in the previous edition a bit thin-sounding, which I have attributed to the original recordings. 

It shows up here, however:  http://www.popmarket.com/details/117622749?feature_id=117622601&cid=nl%3A1198966738&utm_medium=email&utm_source=generator-popmarket&utm_campaign=email%7C1198966738%7C20151023&utm_content=nllink-477c563f-Glenn%20Gould

Edited by Daniel A
Sp.

Okay, I'm corrected. I had ordered it when they had it on special and the package was lost, and they refunded because they told me they had none in stock. That changed I guess. I bought it again elsewhere.

I didn't do much in the way of comparing the two, just spun discs from the new set, and they sound excellent, and gave the old set to my best friend for Xmas. . . . The book is amazing and the sound of all I have heard is excellent.

Xept I feel pissed on by Sony .... got the big Bach box and then many of the latest Gould Collection or however it was called ... and then shortly after they bring out this new box with new remastering. Guess that's capitalism and free markets and stuff, but it's also disrepect for those that keep it going.

I can dig that. I have had the same journey through different versions. This is probably the final "physical product" we'll get of the Gould material this decade or longer, and they did it right. . . . I caved and got it and am glad I did. I no longer expect any respect or consideration or even common sense from any but the smallest of labels. (Guess I'm just old and cynical now, but I have fewer disappointments).

Edited by jazzbo

It sounds like a wise state of mind, as things go these days. In retrospect, I find it odd that the previous box wasn't DSD:d, but perhaps they wanted to be able to take it one step further later, which of course they did.

Lon, any opinion on the reproductions of the LP covers in the latest version compared to the previous one? As you can hear, I'm grasping at straws to resist an upgrade... :rolleyes:

Edited by Daniel A

42 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Xept I feel pissed on by Sony .... got the big Bach box and then many of the latest Gould Collection or however it was called ... and then shortly after they bring out this new box with new remastering. Guess that's capitalism and free markets and stuff, but it's also disrepect for those that keep it going.

Agreed .... unfortunately the new remastering is even a considerable improvement over the recent Gould "Bach only" box .... 

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It sounds like a wise state of mind, as things go these days. In retrospect, I find it odd that the previous box wasn't DSD:d, but perhaps they wanted to be able to take it one step further later, which of course they did.

Lon, any opinion on the reproductions of the LP covers in the latest version compared to the previous one? As you can hear, I'm grasping at straws to resist an upgrade... :rolleyes:

Didn't notice a significant difference in the lp cover sleeves . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Gunter Wand The Great Recordings: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-Recordings-G%C3%BCnter-Wand/dp/B0069EOZT8/ref=cm_rdp_product

I think I'll pass, since I know I will hardly crack open a box like this.

The price on the Abbado RCA/Sony set has dropped a bit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Sony-Album-Collection/dp/B00J1XNMDO/ref=pd_bxgy_15_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=06MNBBRSZ32RQQHRWH7G

(I ordered it before, but this price drop is not so extreme that I regret the previous order.)

True confessions time - I came quite close to pulling the trigger on this set - Jean Martinon with the CSO: http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Martinon-Complete-Recordings-Orchestra/dp/B00PCCWXPG/ref=pd_sim_15_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ZbXNCA-NL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0489FGCWJ58W7R9PCKV3

Fortunately, I checked my email account, and I have already bought the set last April.  Obviously it didn't make much of an impression.  :unsure:  I haven't even been able to locate it, but I will spend some time this weekend looking in some places where it ought to be.

Nonetheless, this looks like a fairly interesting set, and hopefully I will be able to post some impressions later on.

4 hours ago, Van Basten II said:

:lol:, I know the feeling, maybe not with a boxset but i have stopped counting the times where i was on the verge of buying or did buy a CD I already had

I actually cannot locate it.  We moved about two months after I would have gotten this, and it is probably in a random box in the basement, since I hadn't fully integrated my shelves before the move.  So in one sense, I can understand why I don't remember having the set, but if this isn't a wake up call, I don't know what is.  I have a whole shelf of box sets that I have only listened to once.  I think I need to rethink my priorities.  It is true that I have cut way back on buying new (or reissued) music.  But I need to actively purge more music.  Who am I kidding that I will listen to this?