Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got mine Saturday. They "rescheduled availability" three times and asked me three times if I wanted to cancel, and I said "No." Finally it shipped.

Same here.

I have known some of these recordings from the '70s. The Symphonic Variations are my favorite recording of the piece. I had it on a Supraphon lp and it was available on Nonesuch at the time. The recordings of the symphonies are from the early '70s and are not the same as the 2 disc sets offered on Amazon. When digital raised its head, Supraphon had Neumann do new ddd versions for the marketplace. The earlier recordings are superior.

Just thought some folks might like to know what they have.

Looks like these "cheapos" are coming directly from the manufacturer. Probably over-produced them and are liquidating the box themselves.

I think the theory is to sell it cheap at first and get good Amazon reviews. Then raise the price.

Edited by Bigshot

Got the Enlightenment box. It contains a 260-page booklet! In a budget box!!! Just printing it should have costed a small fortune. I don't get it.

Looks like these "cheapos" are coming directly from the manufacturer. Probably over-produced them and are liquidating the box themselves.

The box was released just six months ago, too early to judge it a production over-run I'd say. Whatever, Harmonia Mundi knows how to lose money in style. Meanwhile, I listen to a couple of CDs from the set - the sound is stellar and the performances are excellent.

The Lumières just went up to 20£ - fegh. Still a great deal, I guess.

The Ligeti Project went up by factor 3 on amazon.it. Won't order it then. Too bad!

Go for British amazon then: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ligeti-Project-5cd-Box/dp/B0016A8E1K?SubscriptionId=AKIAIVGTH525N57WM2NQ&tag=galenicom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0016A8E1K

Everybody here knows about appropriately titled Pricenoia service allowing to compare prices at various amazons, right: http://pricenoia.com/ligeti-project ? They got charts too!

I got mine Saturday. They "rescheduled availability" three times and asked me three times if I wanted to cancel, and I said "No." Finally it shipped.

Same here.

I have known some of these recordings from the '70s. The Symphonic Variations are my favorite recording of the piece. I had it on a Supraphon lp and it was available on Nonesuch at the time. The recordings of the symphonies are from the early '70s and are not the same as the 2 disc sets offered on Amazon. When digital raised its head, Supraphon had Neumann do new ddd versions for the marketplace. The earlier recordings are superior.

Just thought some folks might like to know what they have.

Thanks Chuck, I've listened to the first three symphonies and enjoyed them.

The Lumières just went up to 20£ - fegh. Still a great deal, I guess.

The Ligeti Project went up by factor 3 on amazon.it. Won't order it then. Too bad!

Go for British amazon then: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ligeti-Project-5cd-Box/dp/B0016A8E1K?SubscriptionId=AKIAIVGTH525N57WM2NQ&tag=galenicom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0016A8E1K

Everybody here knows about appropriately titled Pricenoia service allowing to compare prices at various amazons, right: http://pricenoia.com/ligeti-project ? They got charts too!

Thanks! Didn't catch it there!

Do you know the Wergo 3CD set, too? I think those were the recordings I copied to K7 in the 90s, while in high school - haven't heard them since though.

I fear it's too late for this (showing back-order), but amazon.ca is improbably offering

15 Yves Nat CDs for C$16.09

I guess you never know. You can always put in an order. I think this one is more likely to be fulfilled:

Complete Sampson Francois (EMI)

I briefly considered this yesterday but decided 30+ CDs was too much even for me, and I went for this slimmed down 3 CD box instead: Sampson Trilogie

The Yves Nat box, which I had almost forgotten about, just shipped! I'm shocked.

That enlightenment box is exactly what I've been looking for. Worth shipping to the US for sure. Thanks for the tip!

That's a pretty insanely low price. I have much of the repetoire already (though by different artists -- with exception of Tokyo String Quartet doing Beethoven quartets) but there are certainly quite a number of composers that would be new to me (Kuhnau, Sammartini, Stamitz, Tartini, Pergolesi), so it seems worth the 18 or so pounds to ship it cross the pond.

It just arrived. I cannot believe how fast it made it here. Another bonus was I didn't have to deal with any customs charges and what have you. I guess the only time I've really been hit was with the Toscanini box, though I suspect I would if I have a Mosaic box sent up this way...

It is a very nice looking box, though it is a bit odd that there is a spacer inside, since the box was designed to fit 45 or so CDs.

Herbert Kegel 15-CD box for €28 at amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de...=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF . Just ordered me a copy.

51KU1QTGs0L._SS400_.jpg61-mqCvSeAL._SS400_.jpg

Got this set and listened to the Mussorgsky / Prokofiev CD. The performances are very muscular and exciting. The recording quality is quite harsh particularly the brass. The sound has been quite noticeably no-noised.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my $74.99 Toscanini box on Tuesday. With family here all week, I've only been able to enter it in my database and listen to Pictures At An Exhibition. Sounds great!

41Tl2%2Buhi5L._SS500_.jpg

My set arrived on Monday. Have listened to about five discs.

If anyone is interested, it appears that this set uses 11 XRCD24 masterings that appeared in Japan. I listened to one and it sounds pretty amazing. Here is a list:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/index.asp?keyword=toscanini+xrcd&site=&target=SEARCH&type=sr

Pictures at an Exhibition is one of them.

Edited by jazzbo

Received my $74.99 Toscanini box on Tuesday. With family here all week, I've only been able to enter it in my database and listen to Pictures At An Exhibition. Sounds great!

41Tl2%2Buhi5L._SS500_.jpg

My set arrived on Monday. Have listened to about five discs.

If anyone is interested, it appears that this set uses 11 XRCD24 masterings that appeared in Japan. I listened to one and it sounds pretty amazing. Here is a list:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/index.asp?keyword=toscanini+xrcd&site=&target=SEARCH&type=sr

Pictures at an Exhibition is one of them.

All the mastering info is noted in the comments/reviews on the Amazon UK site. The Japanese remasters are not the only upgrades from the original edition. About a third of the set is "newer".

FWIW, I think I started listening to some of this material in the '50s.

Whatever they are charging for the set now, I really only wanted to expand my collection by about 20 cds. The set was cheaper and I have a bunch of bonuses.

Edited by Chuck Nessa