Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

Günter Wand Box _Can't be shipped to the US. Plus, I don't want his Beethoven and other stuff.

Being late with subject input, in case you still want to try out Günther Wand you could (should) start with these individual discs :

05f93acc3d.jpg

899489dd9c.jpg

These are excellent recordings........a special aspect being that Wands`s analytical and structured lead meets the Münchner Philharmoniker, Celibidache`s former long term partners...........these are performances from the 90`s and compared to the late 70`s recordings with the Kolner Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra (which I admire too) tempos are slowed down just a few notches - don`t get me wrong, still miles away from Celibidache`s tempi and view - but IMO even clearer bringing to light Wand`s individual vision(s) on Bruckner...

Edited by soulpope

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still with Bruckner, regarding Kurt Eichhorn`s marvellous recordings on japanese Camerata at least his superd Bruckner 7

1392542670.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinfonie-Bruckner-Orchester-Linz-Eichhorn/dp/B00006ALCS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420706469&sr=8-8&keywords=eichhorn+bruckner

is still available for a rather decent price.......

Edited by soulpope

I really like the Eichhorn. CD Japan had a set of everything he did with that orchestra for a while. A bit spendy though, and notes are only in Japanese.

agreed, it features symphonies 2,5,6,7,8 and 9 (eichhorn unfortunately died before finishing the complete cycle) would cost inkl shipment 80 dollars

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/CMCD-10008

which on base of the interpretation`s quality is a bargain TO ME.

but as having a weak spot for bruckner 5 und 7, the forementioned bruckner 7 could be an excellent starting point for someone interested in eichhorn but not willing to spent the asking price for the box set.....

I have that Wand you mentioned and it is good. Not tempted to buy the big box at all. Would be very interested in the Eichhorn but am curious to see if it gets a reissue here or in Europe.

Reg Eichhorn, it`s a japanese label aka Camerata and was just distributed in Europe and the US 10-15 years ago - this distribution deal was terminated and now they did the japanese only Reissue Box I`ve mentioned before......

Unfortunately also out of print, but if you should stumble over this in the "secondary marked" buy with confidence :

1675be5588.jpg

Edited by soulpope

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have the big Heifetz box from Sony? I see it for 146.20 Euros with shipping to US after VAT removal.

It's a tombstone, don't waste your money. Unless you're specifically a cultural historian of Heifetz, what's the point? Musically, the only sides you'd want to hear more than once are those with Rubinstein-- get that box instead.

Or, better yet, buy ten random CDs on the BIS or CPO labels and hear wondrous and/or extraordinary music, old and recent, that you probably haven't heard before.... Isn't already everywhere, cheap, not just stuffed into a cardboard coffin etc etc.

Again, unless the very speficic elements of Heifetz' Lithuanian Jewish-American success story is important to you... forget it.

And, even so, Heifetz' repertoire was largely dogshit, when you consider what he could have peformed/recorded and what he did...

Not everyone knew better then be we surely do now.

Please note, I'm not diminishing Heifetz' Jewish diasporic story but... for dem bones, dem bones get some Dave Tarras, that Yazoo cantorial CD, Bear Family "Beyond Recall"... etc etc. Throw in some I.B. Singer...

Beyond-Recall-CD-cover.jpg

Edited by MomsMobley

Not that often Dutch writers get their work translated in English and are published in the U.S.. I saw an item on a documentary of this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Netherlands-Antilles-Antilleans-Caribbean/dp/1628461853/ref=sr_1_1/190-4433026-3444916?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423418469&sr=1-1

Jan Brokken: The Music of the Netherlands Antilles: Why Eleven Antilleans Knelt before Chopin's heart

Chopin's music 'translated' to the Caribean. Chopin was already my favourite composer at age 10. I've enjoyed this docu and thought you might enjoy the book which comes with an cd. I'm going to order the original Dutch edition.
Hope you'll enjoy.
Regards, page.

Edited by page