Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

Thanks! That looks like a better idea.

I went ahead and bought this:

41fxBXCOcRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10 discs for under $30 - not exactly sure of the contents ( :blush: ) but seems hard to go wrong.

I once thought Liszt was bombastic and vacuous, but have come to enjoy his music, though it's definitely "high calorie", so to speak...

Cziffra is going to put a high flame under that high calorie music. Extremely dynamic and exciting performances.

Thanks. This is a nice set! The 5 Chopin discs were a real surprise: I regarded them as "throw-ins", but I've been listening to them more than the Liszt (which is excellent as stated). Chopin's a composer who I never "got" before, but this box has changed things.

IMHO, Georges Cziffra is one of the best interpreters of Liszt's music.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Four more box sets from RCA (most fairly recent)

Guarneri Quartet Plays Mozart String Quartets -- it looks like quintets 1-6 and quartets 14-19, so not a complete cycle.

Mozart quartets+quintets

Juilliard Quartet Plays Mozart String Quintets 1-6 and quartets 14-19, plus Clarinet quintet

Mozart Quartets, quintets and clarinet quintet

Leinsdorf with a Beethoven Symphony cycle

Leinsdorf

Stowoski

Unfortunate typo* but it still shows up in searches. This appears to be a repackaging of the old RCA Stereo Collection (which I own), so I will pass. It is certainly possible they did a bit of remastering, but I can't justify buying this twice, even though I do like the space saving aspect of it.

* It is the Stokowi Stereo Collection, according to Amazon.

At the moment, it is actually cheaper for me to pre-order these on Amazon.ca, though I am basically only in the market for the Mozart.

It doesn't look like I have either the Julliard or Guarneri, and I am not sure which set is of more interest. There is so much overlap between the two (and a fair bit of overlap with the Amadeus Quartet box set, though Quintet 1 and 2 are not on the Amadeus set). The price is low enough you could get both, but I am not that inclined to do so. In fact, at the moment, I probably should pass on both and just listen to the Amadeus set.

Edited by ejp626

More doorsteps!

The Debussy Edition on DG (18 CDs): http://www.amazon.de...30470093&sr=1-7

Simultaneously released Debussy Collection on Sony (also 18 CDs): http://www.amazon.de...uct/B006VKKAXU/

And to make sure your postman hates you forever - Magnificat - 500 Years of Choral Masterworks on Decca (50CDs) - http://www.jpc.de/jp...ks/hnum/4917132

MDT has a tracklist

41E8yWQvs7L._SS400_.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

A Bruno Walter EMI Icon box is on the way.

I had hoped this would be a complete EMI recordings set - It is not. Not sure how much is missing but from my lp collection; Beethoven Violin Concerto, Brahms 1, Brahms 3, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. Probably more too. Bummer.

It is nice to have the Mozart stuff on cd and the Mahler and Wagner material is top shelf.

For those not willing to get the Mercury Living Presence box, there is a 4 CD set of Byron Janis playing piano concertos on Brilliant: Janis-Brilliant

As far as I can tell, these are a repackaging of material from 4 or 5 of those Living Presence CDs. There was a bit of a heated exchange in the comments on the topic of royalties, but according to Brilliant, they did license the material and paid royalties. Anyway, for completists, you'd be better off with the Mercury box anyway, but in my case, I had too much of the material in other forms and was no longer in the market for that particular doorstop set (though I have gotten a few others recently).

Somehow I missed these two RCA boxes of Heifetz - Beethoven (Concerto, Sonatas and Trios mostly) and Great Violin Concertos (a wide variety with seemingly only the one Beethoven concerto overlapping with the other box).

I got a great deal pre-ordering the Beethoven on Amazon.ca, and I'll get the other one in a few weeks -- less of a rush.

I went back and forth on this (Slatkin-Vaughan Williams), since I have a different Vaughan Williams cycle (plus one taped off of BBC Radio 3), but this seemed like a great deal and I have a really fond memory of Slatkin stepping in and directing the CSO when Muti got suddenly ill. Shostakovich Symphony 5 was on the bill and Slatkin happened to be in town for some young composer competition that Muti had arranged. Muti went down the previous night, and Slatkin agreed to fill in and conducted the piece from memory! (I was about 5 rows back and could see him clearly.) I know I'll never forget that night. The CSO really played their heart out, both to honor Muti and do right by Slatkin. Fortunately, Muti has recovered well, and I was able to see him conduct one more time before I departed Chicago.

Edited by ejp626

I know there is a separate thread for MP3 bargains, but this seemed a bit more appropriate, since it is classical.

Anyway, I have been intrigued by Cedille's policy where there are three options -- MP3 version of their albums (usually in the $5-7 range) ripped at 256, flac for a few dollars more, or the CD at a discount from the Amazon price. They have the booklet as a PDF, and it appears anyone can download them. This isn't that different from CD Baby (though I don't recall flac being an option all the time) and the liner PDFs are a bit hit or miss on CD Baby. Anyway, to me this is the way to do it, though to be fair, I have not yet attempted to download any of their albums (to see what kinds of regional restrictions they might have).

Over the weekend, I will try to buy the following: Cedille 1 and Cedille 2

If that goes well, I might get a few of the other downloads, including some others by the Pacifica Quartet. Ultimately, I decided I did want the physical product for their Shostakovich cycle.

But if you are really looking for a bargain in the same league as the Miles trumpet case ;), you can get every Cedille record on USB for only $500: Cedille-USB

Edited by ejp626

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dowland Complete Lute Music (Nigel North) (Naxos) - 4CDs - for £8 at amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowland-Complete-Lute-Music-North/dp/B002N5KEBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333720266&sr=8-1

Dowland Comlete Lute Music (Jakob Lindberg) (Brilliant) - 4CDs - for £8 at amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowland-Complete-Music-Jakob-Lindberg/dp/B001716JQ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333720266&sr=8-2

• 2 weeks later...

The Boulez Mahler cycle (including orchestral songs) is about to appear at a stupendous price.

I followed this from the start so nothing new for me, and maybe Boulez Mahler does not suit the heart-on-sleeve brigade, but these are beautiful recordings, some very remarkable, and at this sort of price...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boulez-Conducts-Mahler-Pierre/dp/B004NO5HLG/ref=pd_sim_m_h__27

There are a fair number of the EMI bargain basement collections still coming out (sometimes the 2nd market sellers are much better prices than Amazon itself).

Tafelmusik is involved in more than a few:

Tafelmusik - Vivaldi

Musica Amphion-Telemann

(Whoops -- this is Musica Amphion, not Tafelmusik -- still a bargain)

Tafelmusik-Handel/Geminiani/Purcell/etc.

Tafelmusik-Boccherini

(This is actually mostly Tafelmusik featuring Anner Bylsma)

Tafelmusik-Haydn Symphonies

(Not a complete cycle but 21 of them. Price on Amazon.ca and secondary sellers much better than Amazon itself.)

Ofra Harnoy-Vivaldi

Casadesus-Mozart Piano concertos

Edited by ejp626

Dvorak symphonic works (8 CDs) for $8 at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0077DDWEE/

SU4090_2_xl.gif

Jesus! I can't afford NOT to get it.

Interesting they omitted this current disc:

51vvQUuWSnL._SS400_.jpg

The Czech Suite is a long time favorite.

Good lord, the price just went down on the Dvorak box. $6.39!!! Hasn't shipped yet......

That is... unusual...

Good lord, the price just went down on the Dvorak box. $6.39!!! Hasn't shipped yet......

Not that you'd ever find it there, but the PriceBlink browser plug-in says that Target is selling it at that price too. So I think Amazon is just trying to match it.

Some of these boxes are such outrageous deals. A few weeks ago I ordered the David Oistrakh EMI box for about $30, and did so thinking it was 9 discs. I found that to be a good deal. It ends up the box has 17 discs. :lol: What was I thinking, that a little over $3 per disc could be a good price? ^_^

Dvorak symphonic works (8 CDs) for $8 at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0077DDWEE/

SU4090_2_xl.gif

Jesus! I can't afford NOT to get it.

Interesting they omitted this current disc:

51vvQUuWSnL._SS400_.jpg

The Czech Suite is a long time favorite.

That is... unusual...

Hmmm, shipping was "pushed back" to May 10th....... TBC

Still showing same price though.

These are old recordings, for those who don't know, and you get symphonies you don't necessarily need (1-4) and others where you'd do better with single discs. The other items are bonuses but not a complete picture.

I am really not one for historical classical box sets or even non-historical ones, but this is cheap and can go in the car. I've been auditioning the Rowicki set (with LSO) on Spotify so that will be an interesting compare/contrast for me.

I am guessing everone here knows their Dvorak but maybe not. If anyone is reading this who has no idea whether Dvorak is for them, I'd say this set is a great way to hear the popular and famous symphonies (7-9). The rest is a bonus for when you get round to it. The sound will be of its age, the playing as idiomatic as it can be.