Duke Robillard

Tom in RI

Jim R.'s mention of Duke Robillard in the Freddie King v. Eric Clapton thread made me want to throw out Duke as an artist deserving wider recognition. Founder of the premier jump blues band and well known road warriors, Roomful of Blues,and their front man until his departuture in 1979 (making way for Ronnie Earl, now there's another one), Duke has gone on to master a variety of blues and swing styles. If forced to recommend just one disc it would probably be Duke's Blues for me. Robillard has also become an in-demand sideman and producer. For the last few years Duke has toured with baritone saxman Doug James and a rhythm section. If he comes to your town, don't miss him.

While Duke has done some over the years that might be considered marginal by some the pluses far outweigh the minuses. I agree with Tom on "Duke's Blues" and I'm always ready to pull the trigger on every Robillard release that comes out.Duke adds something good to every session by other people that he participates in. One that people on the board might be interested in is "After Hours Swing Session". I would also like to second Tom on Ronnie Earl-a great player!!! :)

If he comes to your town, don't miss him.

I agree of course, and with regard to recent efforts from Duke, I can recommend both volumes of "Conversations In Swing Guitar" with Herb Ellis, on the Stony Plain label.

In the same vein, if you EVER get a chance to see Charlie Baty (Little Charlie and the Nightcats), do not miss him/them either. Equally versatile as Mr. Robillard, and very energetic and creative. None of the CD's do him justice. An amazing player.