Sounds like Karin Krog?

colllin

You might consider Gloria Smyth, who recorded once for World Pacific, Like Soul! I think she falls in the category of quirky or off-kilter. But for me the best part is the superlative support from a bunch of Pacific Jazz's best instrumentalists, including Teddy Edwards, Ronnie Ball, Lennie McBrowne.

I don't think the LP costs too much when it shows up on ebay, and in fact FreshSounds put out the tracks as bonuses on reissues of other sessions led by instrumentalists, like this one:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/its_about_time_with_les_mc_cann,_feat._gloria_smyth-cd-5469.html

Here are the CDs with Smyth on Amazon - hopefully the samples have some portion of her vocals:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gloria+smyth

Edited by Dan Gould

I don't know much of Krog except her work with John Surman but if off kilter's your thing you might try giving Sidsel Endresen. a listen

Undertow is my personal favourite. Couple on ECM worth investigating, later ones with Bugge Wesseltoft less so IMO

Dare I suggest Kate Westbrook? Or Irene Aebi. Maggie Nichols. Julie Tippetts.

None come close to being your usual 'jazz' singer even though they sing in jazz contexts.

Erika Stucky - American, I believe, but an emigre to Switzerland. Saw her a few years back with two alphorns! Must get a recording.

Edited by A Lark Ascending