must have dates by (or with) ABBEY LINCOLN

Rooster_Ties

To date, I've never been much for vocal jazz -- except for the arguably weird "heavy small group, with chorus" genre -- which I do rather like, and also the vocals some oddball 70's 'Strata East' and 'Nimbus' type things. Also, June Tyson, with Sun Ra. :wub:

But, I do have a tiny smattering of things with Abbey Lincoln, that have begun to grow on me over the years, primarily "We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite" and she sings on one cut of Max Roach's "It's Time". (And maybe something else I can't remember at the moment.)

So, what are my next TWO recommended purchases for Ms. Lincoln? (And with my recent downsizing, I gotta limit myself to two things at most - at least for now.)

Also, isn't she on one or two things with/by Eric Dolphy? - seems like I've heard one or two cuts, ages ago.

I'm leaning towards stuff by her in the 60's, but wondering if she had any killer dates in the 70's as well?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Straight Ahead is indispensable! The first time her daring self was captured on record. The Riversides are nice, too, kind of preparatory sessions - the Candid is the glorious result.

That Max Roach title is Kardouba.

Edited by mikeweil

This is probably heresy, but my favorite Abbey is one that came very late in her career and features Stan Getz - You Gotta Pay the Band.

That one was on my list, but apparently the image doesn't show. Agreed that it's one of her very finest dates. Getz's too.

Straight Ahead is indispensable! The first time her daring self was captured on record. The Riversides are nice, too, kind of preparatory sessions - the Candid is the glorious result.

Oops, that's what I get for relying on that careless crew of incompetents who do the itunes database.

Oops, that's what I get for relying on that careless crew of incompetents who do the itunes database.

Car Buddha :)

dashboardbuddha.jpg