Duke Pearson

JSngry

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is duke pearson yr favorite? lol @ yr nickname-- THATS AWESOME! yeaaa! in answer to your question, all of them. Duke #1 for me is always Mr. Pearson.

hey waaiiiiit a minute it says in your post you are from Georgia. what is this? r u playing a blue note joke, or are you the ghost of Duke Pearson. if you are i love you ghost of Duke Pearson you are #1 Duke in Jazz to me and the only other Duke thats on par with your awesomeness is Genesis- Duke

Probably 'Wahoo' in terms of jazz blowing content but I also really like the two BN big band albums and also 'The Right Touch', 'The Phantom' and 'Sweet Honey Bee' are great too. Also really like the material collated on the Mosaic Select with Anddy Bey, Airto and Flora Purim, much of which was fairly obscure.

Edited by sidewinder

Impossible to choose for me, Pearson is one of my absolute favorites. Whether playing or producing or arranging or any combination thereof, if he's involved with a session there's going to be a certain level of polish and class brought to the proceedings.

His piano playing gets shortchanged I think, people should listen to the trio record "Bags Groove" on Black Lion for a taste of that side.

is duke pearson yr favorite? lol @ yr nickname-- THATS AWESOME! yeaaa! in answer to your question, all of them. Duke #1 for me is always Mr. Pearson.

hey waaiiiiit a minute it says in your post you are from Georgia. what is this? r u playing a blue note joke, or are you the ghost of Duke Pearson. if you are i love you ghost of Duke Pearson you are #1 Duke in Jazz to me and the only other Duke thats on par with your awesomeness is Genesis- Duke

No Im not a ghost.I very real and alive.As Ive stated before.Im a Duke Pearson Family Memeber and A Diehard Fan.Im new to this site and trying to navigate myself throug it.I think its pretty cool.

Great cover! I'd never seen that!

I'm always on the lookout for Duke Pearson albums, but rarely come across them.

Good thread.

Why dont you try E-Jazzline.com.Tey have some awwsome Duke Pearson c.ds as well as charts and other stuff.

Impossible to choose for me, Pearson is one of my absolute favorites. Whether playing or producing or arranging or any combination thereof, if he's involved with a session there's going to be a certain level of polish and class brought to the proceedings.

His piano playing gets shortchanged I think, people should listen to the trio record "Bags Groove" on Black Lion for a taste of that side.

Well said Shawn.Thanks for the kind words.

This one has been sitting on my Amazon wishlist for quite some time. Any thoughts?

41E4940S8TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I agree with you Tom 1960.It has been there on on Amazon sitting for a long time.As for thoughts.I think it was some graet playing on this album.Duke Pearson could write to make small groups sound like Big Bands.The playing throughout is nice.Freddie Hubbard is always good.And I personally like it because of Wiillie Wilson,one of Duke Pearsons childhood friends that this album started out to be.Although he never finished it due to his untimeley death.Duke Perason deicated it in honor of his dear friend.Hence the name we all know (Dedication) !

This one has been sitting on my Amazon wishlist for quite some time. Any thoughts?

41E4940S8TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I agree with you Tom 1960.It has been there on on Amazon sitting for a long time.As for thoughts.I think it was some graet playing on this album.Duke Pearson could write to make small groups sound like Big Bands.The playing throughout is nice.Freddie Hubbard is always good.And I personally like it because of Wiillie Wilson,one of Duke Pearsons childhood friends that this album started out to be.Although he never finished it due to his untimeley death.Duke Perason deicated it in honor of his dear friend.Hence the name we all know (Dedication) !

Thanks for that information, never knew the reason behind the title.

Welcome to the board!

The two Big Band dates are pretty sweet, especially those versions of the two Chick tunes: "Straight Up and Down" and "Tones for Joan's Bones".

oh, i definitely meant to mention "Tones for Joan's Bones," one of my all-time favorites. what great stuff. and what Duke did remains fresh and exciting to me all these years later.