Crown Records Question

Teasing the Korean

I always lumped Crown with those other supermarket budget labels, but they served a purpose. If my memory is correct (and it might not be), the Charlie Parker Dial material, unavailable for years, came out in the early ‘60’s on a couple LP’s on one of those labels, maybe Baronet or Crown. (One of the titles was “A Handful of Modern Jazz.) But the tunes were mislabeled, so for years I thought Ornithology was Max is Making Wax. 

Edited by DMP
Spelling

2 hours ago, DMP said:

I always lumped Crown with those other supermarket budget labels, but they served a purpose. If my memory is correct (and it might not be), the Charlie Parker Dial material, unavailable for years, came out in the early ‘60’s on a couple LP’s on one of those labels, maybe Baronet or Crown. (One of the titles was “A Handful of Modern Jazz.) But the tunes were mislabeled, so for years I thought Ornithology was Max is Making Wax. 

Many labels didn't release albums as good as Kapu by Milt Raskin, Bongo Madness by Don Ralke, or Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat by the Latin Jazz All-Stars, featuring Buddy Collette. 

A bit of a mystery.  If you look at the LP, the tunes other than "Lyons Busy" are credited to Bobby Correll. (who is also listed on the cover)  It appears that he was (and still is) a pianist.  Are you sure that Brubeck is on the rest of the album?  The other two musicians shown on the cover (Frank Blake and Bob Kindle) may be pseudonyms.  What is the instrumentation on the other sides?

Perhaps Crown was trying to sell the album as a Brubeck item by including a single side by him.