Joe Castro and the Falcon Lair recordings

Ian Bradley

There is an ebay auciton presently for eight sketches by Paul Gonsalves. The sketches are owned by one of the sons of Joe Castro. In the item description, the vendor writes about Doris Duke and the jam sessions recorded at Falcon Lair. I am now aware that one such session has been released on CD (Zoot Sims with the Joe Castro trio Live at Falcon Lair)but in his description, the vendor writes:

"I'm selling these to finish a body of Jazz created in the 50's to 60's at Doris Duke and my father's home's Falcon Lair and Duke Farms. The transfer of the Masters has taken 11 years 500+ masters never heard soon to be released all very high quality. Zoot-Getz-Mulligan. Gene Ammons, Teddy Edwards, Leroy Vinnegar, Lucky Thompson, Oscar Pettiford, Dexter Gordon, everyone."

Is much known about the recordings from these sessions? Are copies in circulation or is this something of a find? I've posted details about the auction and a link ($15 000 for 'buy it now'!)at my blog villesville.blogspot.com (can't get the hyper link to work. Sorry!)

I have no connection to the vendor or the auciton - just interested in the recordings, Doris Duke (who I must admit before today I knew nothing about) - and interesting Ellington connections to a record label he shared with Castro. Any further information greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ian Bradley

I don't have any specific information to contribute other than to say I really enjoy the Zoot - Castro cd.

I've read just a little bit that mirrors what you've reported, and can only share your intrigue. If these begin to surface, I'll look forward to some fascinating listening.