80's videos

As long as were on this 80's tangent. I was thinking of music videos that I was actually entertained by.

(1)Money for Nothing-Dire Straits.Poking fun at MTV.

(2)Just a Gigolo-David Lee Roth.Seeing Billy Idol electrocuted did it for me.

(3)Two Tribes-Frankie Goes to Hollywood.Rather timely considering recent events.The planet blowing up at the end was intense.

(4)Money- Paul Hardcastle. Rather obscure but having Sir Laurence Olivier and Bob Hoskins in it was pretty cool.

(5)Cold Shot-Stevie Ray Vaughn.I just about laughed through the whole thing.

When the movie Amadeus came out, someone put together a video montage to one of Amadeus's symphonies (I forget which one), combining shots from the movie with shots from various videos. David Lee Roth came out like some stoned conductor and "conducted" the whole thing. I think I saw it all of twice, but I never forgot it. Wonder if it's on the Amadeus DVD?

I always liked the ZZ Top videos that had the '34 in 'em!

Aaaaaand, I always liked the Huey Lewis videos that accompanied the Sports album. Everything after that, well.....

And thank you SO much, GoM, for getting that ^%$&%^#$&^# Til Tuesday song in my head, which I hated from day one, and hated the video even more! :P;)

Hated that A-Ha tune, but that's no surprise since I was a metalhead at the time. :rhappy:

However, I will defend Huey Lewis. Catchy stuff, and he was surprisingly cool in that Behind the Music episode. And I still think the guitar solos in "Want a New Drug" rock, even if the video wasn't as memorable.

An early video I remember liking was "Our Love's in Jeopardy". I'm sure it's totally lame, but I was like 12 years old at the time, so cut me some slack! :P

Question: Is Martha Quinn going to have a third comeback?? :rsly:

Edited by Joe G

An early video I remember liking was "Our Love's in Jeopardy". I'm sure it's totally lame, but I was like 12 years old at the time, so cut me some slack! :P

How about Weird Al Yankovic's parody, "I Lost on Jeopardy?" Man, that guy put out some of the FUNNIEST videos, parody or not, of all time. I still howl at his "Eat It" video, and his takeoff of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video is satirical nirvana, if you'll pardon the pun!

By no means my favorite, but I have a vague recollection of a video (and song) that had the chorus:

Fish heads, fish heads

Roly-poly fish heads

Fish heads, fish heads

Eat them up, yum

Now, am I making this up -- was there such a beast? :blink:

Edited by mikeb

J. Geils Band 'Centerfold' was definitely very popular in the early 80's.

Yeah! "Centerfold" was an awesome video! There was something about girls with Martha Quinn hairstyles...ouch!

I had a customer in the store last night who was looking for a CD by some country singer (she had heard the song on an awards show the night before). She said that she was pretty sure that it was a song, and not just a video. From the way she spoke, you'd think that music videos were a recent invention! :party:

That song mentioned above is "Fish Heads" and was done by a duo (can't remember the name right now) that included the guy who had been little Will Robinson on "Lost In Space".

Does anyone get the channel VH-1 Classic? It can be very addicting at times. Sometimes they get on a roll, and play great blocks of classic videos. Takes you back...

That said, I recently got to see the video for Poison's "Fallen Angel". Ooh, that chick in the video is a hottie! Guilty pleasure? Definitely!

Oh, and also recently..."That's Good!" by DEVO!!! Oh my God!!! They show a banana (or something) penetrate a donut! :excited:

Hell yeah! Since I'm a VH1 Classics junkie, I feel right at home here.

Some of my favorites:

*Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done to Deserve This? (don't know why I like it. memories, probably)

*Loverboy - Lovin' Every Minute of It (talk about chicks!)

*Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (a guilty pleasure that makes me feel 15 again)

*U2 - New Years Day (lotsa snow and cold; back when they were a good band)

*Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink (the original one from Talk Talk Talk, pre- John Hughes movie)

*Marillion - Kayleigh (bittersweet shots of child-like love in Berlin)

If I could pick a favorite, it would probably be INXS - What You Need. The acryllic over film technique they used (or so it seems) is nice to watch, and probably innovative for the time.

*Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done to Deserve This? (don't know why I like it. memories, probably)

For some reason, even though I was born in 1970, I developed this MAD crush on Dusty Springfield when was about 13. I still own the albums "The Look of Love", "Dusty in Memphis", and "Brand New Me"! Anyway, I remember liking "What Have I Done To Deserve This" because Dusty was involved. I think I was the only teenager in the 80s who even knew who Dusty Springfield was!

Yeah, that Fish Heads video was bizarre. Barnes and Barnes? that seems right.

My favorite 80's video would have to be Rainbow - Can't Happen Here. A bunch of flashing images of apocalyptic events. Wild at the time.

Yep, Barnes & Barnes; I believe you're right. My wife won't watch that one. Kinda follows the oft repeated credo:

The only thing cooler than bands that get chicks, are bands that SCARE chicks... ;)

And I totally forgot about Rainbow in the 80's. That is a great video. I really like the Joe Lynn Turner years. Hey:

Does anyone remember when MTV used to have a live concert every Saturday night?

I recall an awesome Rainbow concert circa Straight Between The Eyes. The band was layin' it down, and Blackmore seemed like he was tripping out, perhaps chemically induced, perhaps not...But he played the gitar like a demon possessed!

This is one I remember. There were lots of other great concerts broadcast on Saturdays. They should re-broadcast those. Perhaps an email...

I just thought of a few more:

(1)Ambitious-Jeff Beck.He had guest vocalists making cameos on this one with performances that ranged from silly to surprisingly good.Of course the highlight is some smoking guitar work from Mr.Beck.

(2)Bad is Bad-Huey Lewis & the News.Video isn't all that hot but the song is pretty cool.

(3)Self Control-Laura Branigan.Guilty pleasure. :g

Here's another vote for Weird Al's "I Lost at Jeopardy".That was funny! BTW what is Martha Quinn up to these days?

At last!!! Call Catesta, Dan, berigan, weizen and all the other righties! I finally get to be a conservative!!!!!

I absolutely HATE,despise,and cannot stand music videos. What the heck? You don't Watch music, you *listen* to it! Christ, you kids...

And I've told you before, stay the fuck off of my lawn!!!!

At last!!! Call Catesta, Dan, berigan, weizen and all the other righties! I finally get to be a conservative!!!!!

I absolutely HATE,despise,and cannot stand music videos. What the heck? You don't Watch music, you *listen* to it! Christ, you kids...

And I've told you before, stay the fuck off of my lawn!!!!

crabby dude. :g

• 1 year later...

De La Soul "Me Myself & I"

NWA "Express Yourself"

LL Cool J "Goin' Back To Cali"

DNice "25 To Life"

Yo!  MTV Raps!

:rsmile:  :rhappy:  :rsmile:

Yup. Except I would have said....

* A Tribe Called Quest - "Can I Kick It?"

* LL Cool J - "I'm Bad"

* Eric B & Rakim - "Paid in Full"

* Eric B & Rakim - "Microphone Fiend"

* Biz Markie - "Spring Again"

* Stetsasonic - "Talkin' All That Jazz"

* Marly Marl - "The Symphony"

* Kool Moe Dee - "Wild Wild West"

* Big Daddy Kane - "Ain't No Half Steppin'"

* Rob Base & DJ EZ-Rock - "It Takes Two"

* Public Enemy - "Night of the Living Baseheads"

* Public Enemy - "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos"

The Quest jam in particular was cool because the video featured an altogether different mix.

[EDIT: And let us not, of course, forget the Ed Lover dance!]

Edited by Brandon Burke

Wasn't there quite a cool vid for Peter Gabriel's 'Games Without Frontiers', that is 80's right???

U2's 'Unforgettable Fire' was quite poignant and filled with early U2 pathos. A bit different these days eh.

The Bangles did some great vids. Well any images of Susy Hoffs or whatever she was called are great.