Bargain DVD boxes

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Turkey Day Collection (XXXI) [Limited-Edition Collector's Tin] 

now only $17.56

91cGX3GJyXL._SY445_.jpg

This set contains 4 films including the killer worms classic, Squirm, as well as The Screaming Skull, The Jungle Goddess, and a Lassie movie called The Painted Hills.  They are four pretty strong (and funny) episodes from the series.

and

Mystery Science Theater 3000: 20th Anniversary Edition (First Spaceship on Venus / Laserblast / Werewolf / Future War)

now only $17.97

Werewolf is a classic "bad" movie made all the more gripping and suspenseful by featuring a leading lady who constantly makes the audience ask themselves, "What did she say?"

91uyeQFqd4L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by duaneiac

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Man from UNCLE - Season 2 - $14.96 prime
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016WSBMVO/

The Saint - Seasons 1 & 2 - $23.87 prime
https://smile.amazon.com/Saint-Seasons-1-2/dp/B00S4YGV16/

The Saint - Seasons 3 & 4 - $23.70 prime
https://smile.amazon.com/Saint-Seasons-3-4/dp/B016NVSLAU/

Edited by GA Russell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I did not see your question before now, GA.  The producers specified that all acts had to perform live on the show, but a small number of the acts I have seen on other DVDs from the show were clearly lip-synched.  I think after a few years, in order to get certain acts, they had to allow some lip-synching, but generally most acts did perform live and I assume those will be the ones most likely to be included in the DVDs

I watched most of the first disc last night, and it's all live. For Tom Petty, that is a good thing. For Harry Chapin and Argent, it's not a good thing at all. Does anyone know if these are complete shows? It looks like they were set up to do more than just the song that is in the program. In one song the drummer just sits there while they do an acoustic guitar song. Did they record a half dozen songs of each and sprinkle them through the season? That would be tough for Crystal Gale because she appeared to only have one song (Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue). She sings it in the beginning of the show then says goodbye and proceeds to sing it again. I can see her performing at a live concert playing it six times in a row before saying goodnight. She didn't appear to have much else going for her.

The set I got from Deep Discount is six discs

Edited by Bigshot

None of these Midnight Special programs on the DVDs are complete shows. These discs are selected highlights from the various episodes included.  Of course, every one's definition of "highlights" will vary.  I could do without any KISS or Paul Anka, but I really loved seeing a one-hit wonder band like Redbone perform their hit ("Come And Get Your Love" in their case -- I'm not sure if that was included on this set or one of the other Midnight Special DVDs I have).

Just to speak up for Crystal Gayle, she did indeed "have much more going for her" than just the one song.  That was her biggest hit and as has happened for many performers it was probably both a blessing and a burden because I'm sure her fans expected her to sing it at every show.  I don't know much about her career, but I remember she had another pretty big country hit with "Why Have You Left The One You Left Me For?" and she later recorded a couple of albums of standards, one album being all Hoagy Carmichael songs.  She had a beautiful voice and she sang that material quite well-- much better than Rod Stewart, to be sure.  She also sang along with Tom Waits in the FF Coppolla film One From The Heart. 

It was either Zager or Evans who hated "In The Year 2525" so much that they quit the duo right away as to not be forever associated with that song (which I liked OK the first 500 times I heard it back then, but boy has it not aged well).

Crystal Gayle is a real talent indeed.

This will be the Midnight Special to look for:

Ronettes reimagined as Marvelettes, and who is that bass player and drummer, OMG!

Anybody remember Bud Brisbois on TMS (som e really lame popsong vocal!!!!!)? Of Glen Campbell and George Benson jamming on guitar together (hold on now, not so fast....Glen Campbell could play!)

I remember the earlier shows being a lot more live than the later ones, much like life itself.

Tonight I watched a very odd show with Blondie and Peaches and Herb. They hired dancers to upstage the performers and they are very odd and very stupid looking. Blondie lip synced Heart of Glass and did One Way Or The Other live.

Yes, Redbone is on the set. That Indian drag thing is very odd. The guitar player was in a loin cloth. I kept wanting to avert my eyes. But not quite as much as the guy in the cellophane trousers dancing to Blondie. That was total cringe.

Edited by Bigshot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...