Leave of absence

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that one reason for leaving is that you have nothing new to say about jazz.

Well, if that was the guiding criterion for everyone, there would be very few members left. The board would probably shut down for lack of participants. Don't sell yourself short, is what I am trying to say.

well, it was a crappy day in a crappy week, but i did cry when i read you post above... the board is not about talking jazz these days anymore, it's about being one of those left (and, sad as this is, i'm sure you're one of those) - so hang in there, come back, you know you have friends here (whatever that means but you do) and I am wishing you the best of luck (still don't own a single Mosaic set after all those years and it's not because i don't want to, also had to cut back on all sorts of things the last few months, no idea where I'll be a few months from now but most of the time a vague optimism which I'd immediately share if I could)

Going to miss your posts here, Shawn. You've got friends out here that care about you. And you have repaid friendship and camaraderie, whether you realize it or not.

Like Paul, this board helped see me through my divorce in 2004, and some depression afterward. It's a great group of people here that supported and offered energy that I didn't have enough of.

One thing I've come to slowly realize as I've gotten a little older is that my life isn't so much about accomplishments and goals as it is about the relationships I have, and how special they are to me.

You're a part of us, and I expect you back when you're ready.

Shawn, I hope you reconsider. I had to sell off my jazz collection as well, and to be honest, most of the music I listen to today isn't jazz. I know what you mean about feeling like you don't belong here and don't contribute, believe me. But this place really helped me get through some of the bullshit, and I'll bet it would help you as well. You just have to find out that you're not welcome here because you're into jazz, or contribute great posts; you're welcome here because you're Shawn, and part of the gang.

Shawn, while we don't share political views, you are one of the few people here who knows and loves Myrna Loy, and I look forward to your thoughts on other older, lesser known films.

In other words, you don't have to talk jazz to be interesting here. Hell, I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a any cd, or posted about jazz here. Yeah, one can feel like an outsider here when others can seemingly by whatever they want, whenever they want. But hey, if I were them, I would do that...don't want folks to feel guilty about it...somebody has to keep the economy flowing.

Anyway, my wandering point is that this just isn't a jazz forum. Of course you know that...but like someone pointed out before, if everyone had to post something original or interesting about jazz here, or leave...there would be 2-3 members left! :g

So hang in there, and keep talking about whatever interests you....

Shawn, I hope you reconsider. I had to sell off my jazz collection as well, and to be honest, most of the music I listen to today isn't jazz. I know what you mean about feeling like you don't belong here and don't contribute, believe me. But this place really helped me get through some of the bullshit, and I'll bet it would help you as well. You just have to find out that you're not welcome here because you're into jazz, or contribute great posts; you're welcome here because you're Shawn, and part of the gang.

Shawn,

I could not have said it better myself. I know the real world isn't this simple, but at the end of the day, we are really just a bunch of cyber- pals, proud to belong to this rather unique clubhouse that has more to do with friendship and affinity than anything else. This place can be a great release and in time, I hope you can think about it that way again.

Best regards,

Eric

Edited by Eric

Shawn, try to be good to yourself, if only in the little ways and some light may emerge at the end of the tunnel.

Take the time you need away from here if you wish but you'll be missed and welcomed back when you return. As others have said this board isn't about Jazz knowledge, CDs or collections (although sometimes it can seem intimidatingly so, i agree) the board is about connections - connections between folk spread throughout the globe who enjoy eachother's company.

Your company has been greatly enjoyed and will continue to be.

take great care and be kind to yourself

Shawn, I hope you can turn things around and find some happiness and peace in your life - whatever that may entail and whatever roads you have to take to find it. Perhaps taking a break from Organissimo will be helpful to you. Posting on Organissimo and having a CD collection isn't what life is about - tho there are times when I forget that myself.

There are things in this world that don't cost anything and might help you to feel better. Take a walk, listen to the birds and look at what nature has given you. Smile at some of the people you see and say good morning or good afternoon. Volunteer for a few hours a week at a soup kitchen/free lunch program or at your local library. There are a lot of possibilities. Or you could do some volunteer work using the skills you've been trained for. I read recently that when someone has been out of work, it's worthwhile for them to do some volunteer work relating to their job skills, fill in the blank area in their resume, and just don't mention that it was volunteer work they did.

I hope that the above doesn't come across as b.s. It's not meant that way. You seem like a good guy. Getting out of the slump you're in and connecting with other people in your "real" life in addition to cyberspace can only benefit you and the people you connect with.

Volunteer for a few hours a week at a soup kitchen/free lunch program or at your local library. There are a lot of possibilities. Or you could do some volunteer work using the skills you've been trained for. I read recently that when someone has been out of work, it's worthwhile for them to do some volunteer work relating to their job skills, fill in the blank area in their resume, and just don't mention that it was volunteer work they did.

I used to think that I was s troubled spirit, perhaps even a little unstable, off in some kind of way, until I took a gig at a psychiatric hospital. There, I learned that, ok, I was off a little, was a little eccentric, not without socialization issues, but...I was the one coming into work everyday, pissed off, bummed out, fucked up, hungover as I was, I was still making the gig. And I began to realize that I was fucked up but functional. And that little glimmer of realization was sometimes all I had to make me keep going, to not fall totally into the tar, the realization that, yeah, y'all can get me down, ya'll can almost take me out, but even when you do , I can still make a gig, and when I get to the gig, I'm working with people who are every bit as fucked up as I think I am, but, uh,,,they ain't making the gig, they ARE the gig. So...If that's a pisspoor rout to a shimmer of self-esteem, it nevertheless is self-esteem, and , you know, work that bitch for all it'll ride.

So hey, Shaun, you down, you out, you beat, so get a gig taking care of people who are much like you perceive yourself to be. See who comes out of that experience, she who end up coming to the gig revery day and who ends up being the gig. I know who'll be who. You;'ll be the one with the paycheck.