BLINDFOLD TEST #5 - discussion

couw

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, thanks to John and Jim Dye for getting BF #5 to me, in ultimately playable condition (Yes, I was the weak link in Coconut Creek but all's well that ends well).

Secondly, since I had no particular guesses aside from the names of tunes, I did check the other posts before writing this, so I've embedded some oblique comments about some of the suspects as they have been ID'd so far.

And lastly, since my "Don't Know, Don't Care" (DKDC) perhaps came across as more harsh than was intended, I have decided to trademark and henceforth use "Not My Cup of Tea" (NMCoT) for tracks that are too far outside my jazz focus. (Yes, I have checked, and that phrase has not been trademarked before, so like "Three-peat", I intend to collect royalties from anyone using that phrase in the future. B) :P

OK, on to John's generally excellent comp.:

#1-I dug this short, sweet set-up tune (assuming it was meant as an overture of sorts) particularly the tension and release between the sort-of martial drums and the rest of the band.

#2 - Nice 'bone and trumpet on this one, definitely a winner. If the prior identification is correct, I'm embarrased because I do have it.

#3 - This track was OK but not as nice as #2 for me. The tenor made me think of Trane but I don't think it is. No clue on the bari.

#4 - The slight similarity to "Tenderly" I kind of found annoying-I expect those notes to resolve the way they should but of course they don't. Guess its a factor of always liking "Tenderly." Overall, just OK for me but I wasn't a fan of the bass and the tune slowly lost interest.

#5 - Nice ballad but still no clues.

#6 - 'Nother good 'un, my notes say, but names? We don't got no stinking names!

#7 - "Au Privave" turns into a Monk tune. Isn't this disc a bit 'bone-centric? ;) Dug this one alot, I wondered if it was a Slide Hampton disc, like his new one, but I see that the instrumentation doesn't matchup.

#8 - Well, it had to happen, but I'm glad it took so long: NMCoT

#9 - Forgive me, but I am yet to listen to the whole thing. NMCoT

Hope this isn't the start of a trend.

#10 - Oops, spoke too soon. Ditto.

#11 - #13 - Still mired in the slump. C'mon, Couw! Let's wrap it up strong!

#14 - Monk, "Ask me Now." That's more like it! I've been curious about this one (assuming the ID's are correct) and it is definitely on my radar screen now.

#15 - Solo sax on "Lover Man" and I dug this a whole lot. The prior ID's is someone I've not investigated but based on this and a DVD I recently saw, that will have to be corrected soon!

I didn't pick up on the theme initially but to my surprise, I approve of it (don't forget, I was the Gene Harris Fanatic once) simply because aside from some Dexter and Rollins, there's no way I could have programmed a set as John did, so it was a nice change of pace for me.

Overall, I'd say John did a fine job, perhaps even better than he'd hoped as far as my reaction was concerned ... 1-8 and 14-15 would make a fine comp. disc in my book. :tup

Overall, I'd say John did a fine job, perhaps even better than he'd hoped as far as my reaction was concerned ... 1-8 and 14-15 would make a fine comp. disc in my book.  :tup

If you decide to kick those six tracks out and reburn the thing, may I suggest you add the first track of this disk, which I assume you will have (?). I had no room for it and threw it out. Fits rather well between track 2 and 3 I think.

The pianist present at the session sat out on it.

Edited by couw

The only other Au Privave I found on AMG that came from an album with no pianist was This which wouldn't seem to be enough musicians.

You know that was sort of the first thing that came to mind on this, certainy not this album in particular as I've never heard it, but just the overall 'Kohlhase' sound. It does have a Beantown Large Group feel to it? I think in the past I may have seen couw sporting notes on The Either Orchestra and such (?), and as of yet this one is still on the list of the un-recognized.

And you all need not worry about big brother treading on this code you guys got going here. I been flipping back and forth like it's some big term paper trying to figure this out. ;)

TRACK 7 - Well, if the trombone playing doesn't give it away (and it might not...), the writing darn sure should! This guy has his own style, and here it is, albeit in a smaller size group than he made his mark writing for. Pretty sure I have a burn of the Euro-only LP of this, but I see it's been reissued on CD. Have to get it! Eric again!  :g He kind of runs out of gas, but does so with total composure. Is that Frankie Dunlop on drums? Or are there two drummers?Whoever it is is not backing down. Nor should they!

Is this it?

The AMG link doesn't list a drummer, but a look into Bruyninckx revealed it is not Dunlop on that album - somewhat too busy for him, anyway, but that drummer sure is great, but completely unknown to me! - if it's that album.

Who does Bruyninckx list as the drummer?

John, I received my CD today (was brought by that bearded guy again, no postwoman hereabouts), rushed into my living room and fired up my Marantz for a quick listen.

First impression: I know I've been slow, but by now I should have listened to more of my newly aquired complete collection of CDs with those many colourful spines. In fact, the series takes up the length of almost exactly one 80cm shelf. There are definetely (my guess) two cuts from those releases I encountered when trying to master all 100 and something CDs over Christmas. Possibly even more from that absolutely wonderful series on your BFT CD.

I'm not sure about #1 at all, but with the film mood and all of that, it's a wonderful opening.

And, sweet Jesus and colour me happy, if those aren't Max Roach on 2 (I think I even have the sheet music for it flying around somewhere [which is one of those things my teacher drove me nuts with, 5/4 to the Max :g ) and Elvin Jones on 3, I'll eat my non-existant hat. Aren't those both on those CDs with the colourful spines? I need to check. It's just a gut reaction.

I love you, John. Have I ever mentioned that? To start a CD off like that is just right up my alley. And Timpani for starters? *hugs and kisses*

I also ran into Mangelsdorff on 4. Why I'm sure? I'm not a fan, at all. I know I should like the guy more, and I did see him countless times, but I always felt out of my water when confronted with his wilder escapades. It wasn't and isn't my cup of tea, but it could become an acquired taste. I'm sorry, and many people might get irritated, but I always thought M. just didn't have that sound that came from the heart. It always sounded too analytical to me. But, what do I know.

5? Hm. It sounds European, but I can't place the drums. I've heard that brush work before (the cymbal work is VERY distinctive), but it doesn't immediately fit any sound of the known guys I have in my head. This one I have to chew on for a while.

6. Why don't I have this one? Or do I? God, this is embarrassing. Just what I like and it is about as familiar as the tunes my mom used to play for me on the piano, but I recall hearing this one played with a vibraphone? And who is that humming there? Damn, this is good. If the rest is that good AND it turns out I don't have it already, I want this.

7. I'm getting that colourfull spine feeling again. If it is, I haven't heard much of it yet. I like it. At 02:25 to 27 there is this wonderful part where the trombone accents the drums (or vice versa). Where have I heard that before? Makes me think of Slide. But I'm lost for now. Have to check my colourful collection.

8. and 9. ??????

10. That one I have. I bought it upon recommendation by someone over at vdrums.com and ... YES! Love it! especially that track. Love the vocals and the drum groove. Weird start though. at 00:05 it sounds like the drummer screwed up or the tape slowed down. Strange.

14. That one I have as well. Quite different from what the guy used to do earlier on in his career.

The rest? I'm working on it. But I'm pretty lost. I'll post later.

I won't have time to go through my collection until early on next week. But right now I will finally delve into this thread to see what others have come up with.

Last points:

Everyone who knows where I come from knows that I'm the piano trio etc. type, but your selections just prove once more that less is more. The instruments have a lot more room to fill out the spaces left open and altogether seem a lot less reigned in by the usual constraints.

Secondly, I was hoping for some new stuff I could delve into as a result of this CD. #9 immediately jumped out at me. It's not what I usually hear, but it caught on immediately. Surprisingly - although that has nothing to do with it - at 01:36 to 01:39 Keith Emerson just jumped out at me. Not for long, mind you, but it's fascinating stuff. It's not your everyday fare and I'm interested in hearing more. But, if I choose to do so, I think my usual houseguests might think I've finally gone off my rocker.

Thanks John!

I'll be back with more.

Edited by deus62

TRACK 7 - Well, if the trombone playing doesn't give it away (and it might not...), the writing darn sure should! This guy has his own style, and here it is, albeit in a smaller size group than he made his mark writing for. Pretty sure I have a burn of the Euro-only LP of this, but I see it's been reissued on CD. Have to get it! Eric again!  :g He kind of runs out of gas, but does so with total composure. Is that Frankie Dunlop on drums? Or are there two drummers?Whoever it is is not backing down. Nor should they!

Is this it?

The AMG link doesn't list a drummer, but a look into Bruyninckx revealed it is not Dunlop on that album - somewhat too busy for him, anyway, but that drummer sure is great, but completely unknown to me! - if it's that album.

Who does Bruyninckx list as the drummer?

if it's the same guy as listed in the personnel listing, he is unknown to me too.

(not that tells you anything)

I love you, John. Have I ever mentioned that? To start a CD off like that is just right up my alley. And Timpani for starters? *hugs and kisses*

I don't know whether I should go all :wub: or all icon8.gif

;)

but anyway: no you've never told me and erm.... thanks for the compliment. It was my pleasure. :tup

Still not sure of the players, but if Track 5 isn't Mingus' "Self-Portrait in Three Colors" I don't know what is.

Once again, embarassment: I do have Track 3 at home, on a certain all-encompasing box set. At least I identified the drummer correctly! ;)

damn good thing I had my seatbelt fastened when you came, saw, and what? forgot to post??? ;)

I'm absorbing it all this very moment.

You can expect my guesses soon.

The post will not be hard to miss, it will look something like....

Track 1 ?????????????

Track 2 WTF? :huh:

Track 3 Sounds like Sidney Bechet but it could be Mingus.

;)

TRACK 7 - Well, if the trombone playing doesn't give it away (and it might not...), the writing darn sure should! This guy has his own style, and here it is, albeit in a smaller size group than he made his mark writing for. Pretty sure I have a burn of the Euro-only LP of this, but I see it's been reissued on CD. Have to get it! Eric again! :g He kind of runs out of gas, but does so with total composure. Is that Frankie Dunlop on drums? Or are there two drummers?Whoever it is is not backing down. Nor should they!

Is this it?

Uh, I'm rather embarrassed I did not recognize this one! I LOVE that disc! Jim, you better get that CD fast!

The drummer's called something like "Winnie the Poo", which is fitting, as the bass player's that guy making pee pee constantly on that much beloved date with Conrad Yeatis also aboard...)

And Eric Alexander IS great! ;) I have fond memories of the one time I saw him life!

ubu B)

I haven't come up with more stuff so far, but I finally managed to read this entire thread. I'm surprised that I might actually have gotten some of this right which is really only due to the fact that I spent quite a bit of time over Christmas listening to some of this stuff ... and it is still reverberrating around my head.

7 and 14 I'm proud of, if they turn out to be correct.

I enjoy this "game" very much. I'm also learning quite a bit from the other informed guesses who approach many of the answers via the typical style of playing of some soloist, via recording date info, etc. I know hardly any of this and just let my ears do the talkin'.

Cheers!

P.S.: To show you how good I am at this: While trying to figure out number 5, at the top of one of my Google search result lists was "anal jelly beads". Yeah, man, jazz me up. :wacko:

Edited by deus62

Wilmer & the Dukes =

Arnie Lawrence Baritone Saxophone

Jerry Niewood Baritone Saxophone

Ron Alberts Drums, Percussion

Vinnie Ruggiero Drums :tup

Doug Brown Guitar

Wilmer Alexander Jr. Keyboards, Piano, Tenor Saxophone

Gap Mangione Keyboards, Piano

Larry Covelli Tenor Saxophone

Jerome Richardson Tenor Saxophone

Sonny Ausman Trombone

Dennis Good Trombone

Chuck Mangione Trumpet

Sam Noto Trumpet

Good Gawd.

How are they?

Wilmer & the Dukes =

Doug Brown Guitar

Jerome Richardson Tenor Saxophone :tup:tup:tup

Sonny Ausman Trombone

Dennis Good Trombone

Chuck Mangione Trumpet

Sam Noto Trumpet

B)

I gotta hear this too!

If track seven isn't found on the same box set as an earlier track, than maybe it's  This .  Anybody got it to compare?.

I do, and that's not it.

Definitely not.

That tribute stuff you linked is WHACK!

Definitely something VERY original.

And so, I love it, which goes without saying :g

Now I wonder why I didn't include a track from it... <_<

Wilmer & the Dukes =

Doug Brown Guitar

Jerome Richardson Tenor Saxophone

Sonny Ausman Trombone

Dennis Good Trombone

Chuck Mangione Trumpet

Sam Noto Trumpet

Good Gawd.

How are they?

I just dusted off an old 45 rpm single I bought way back when I was still young and foolish, Give me one more chance c/w Get it, the latter being a real nice funky instrumental. The band doesn't sound as big as the listing, but they hit a groove. Cover depicts only five guys. But that list sure IS impressive. I'll give it a spin ...

Click here and find out yourself!

And Eric Alexander IS great! ;) I have fond memories of the one time I saw him life!

When was it, and with whom? My opportunity was with a quartet with European (based) musicians, I remember Fritz Pauer from Vienna on piano, Jimmy Woode on bass and Tony Inzalaco on drums. My first conga teacher, Tom Nicholas, sat in, he's from Philadelphia but moved to Germany in the mid 1970's - he had worked with the G. C. Octet among others in the US. I always dug that man live more than on his records, where he didn't move me as much.