BLINDFOLD TEST #5 - discussion

couw

Is this #13?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A1sq3g4fbtvoz

I need to get it even if it's not!

Jim, it's been a long time since I last listened to this one - would be a little bit embarassing if it were from this (at least I did immediately and spontaneously guess it could be Ibrahim, but I thought none I had). Anyway: you gotta get it indeed! Those Ibrahim albums with Carlos Ward are a great bunch of records!

ubu

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, WRT your guess on track 8, if you indeed have both albums on vinyl, you have more than I do and I envy you.

Track 9 has been correctly identified in a PM sent to me. The person who guessed right lives up to his handle and shows the class of a king by not blurting it out and keeping you all guessing. :tup

Track 11 is from an obscure record by a VERY obscure band and can probably only be correctly identified by one person on this board besides myself. I'll have a whole lot to write about this one. Stay tuned.

Is this #13?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A1sq3g4fbtvoz

I need to get it even if it's not!

Jim, it's been a long time since I last listened to this one - would be a little bit embarassing if it were from this (at least I did immediately and spontaneously guess it could be Ibrahim, but I thought none I had). Anyway: you gotta get it indeed! Those Ibrahim albums with Carlos Ward are a great bunch of records!

ubu

Not giving anything away, but that is a DANG fine album you link there. The version of Kramat that starts off side A is killer. You need this indeed!

I get the feeling that #5 has been edited, although not in a way to affect the musical performance. Just a hunch.

interesting remark. I'll have to address this when I post my answers, because - for the love of me - I don't know what exactly I edited out ;)

Edited by couw

Jim, WRT your guess on track 8, if you indeed have both albums on vinyl, you have more than I do and I envy you.

Yeah, it's a drag how Impulse! would put half or so of another album out on a CD as "bonus cuts" and then either not put the rest of it out at all, or put the rest of it out as bonus cuts on another CD. They did some Chico Hamilton stuff like that, and it's infuriating. Better than nothing, sure, but still...

I get the feeling that #5 has been edited, although not in a way to affect the musical performance. Just a hunch.

interesting remark. I'll have to address this when I post my answers, because - for the love of me - I don't know what exactly I edited out ;)

No biggie. It's this darn unfriendly world of ours that's to blame.

1 - A call to arms, where do I march? Nice choice for an intro.

2 - The drummer is killing. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to finding out who this is.

3 - I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

4 - Enthralling song, another I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

5 - Slow and beautiful, I really enjoyed the bass player on this one.

6 - Nice sax/bass/drums trio--so many sounds coming from that drummer, like breathing.

7 - Buddy Rich? Good largish-ensemble work, I dig it.

8 - Another sax/bass/drums trio...slow but adventurous.

9 - Cool! I enjoy the way the sax and drums are working off the bass--at 1:30 this could easily be some hardcore punk or a rugged hip hop beat, it sounds mean!

10 - Now that's a funky ass groove! Reminds me of Marlena Shaw, or (even though I know for sure it isn't) Nina Simone.

11 - Another brief little gem, had the ol' noggin nodding.

12 - I think I recognize the tune, but nothing is coming to me. I seem to be noticing a pattern in the choice of bass and drums in every song on this BFT--perhaps COUW's theme lies therein?

13 - Mellow, reminds me of Lonnie Liston Smith or Pharoah Sanders.

14 - Another tune I think I've heard somewhere, perhaps in an old movie. Subtle, melancholy little melody.

15 - Solo sax, continues that melancholy vibe to the close--great way to end a great cd.

Wow, incredible disc COUW, thanks. I can't wait to read the other responses. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've had a busy week.

Thanks again to Jim Dye for the distribution.

Well, now I've read everyone's responses. I didn't even notice there was no piano. So much for picking up on themes! :lol:

I'm amazed how quickly folks pick up Max Roach or Elvin Jones, or notice that someone has studied their JJ Johnson but isn't JJ, or gather that a song is from a soundtrack based on an instrument appearing late in the song, or know that something is European...incredible. I really love these discussions--I try to listen with your ears.

At this point, I have trouble distinguishing horns from other horns--much less differentiating horn player from horn player. :w

Enjoyable disc Couw..another one that I'll be revisisting often. I've put off posting here in hopes that I'd come up with some better ids on stuff - but I haven't. I have to confess that there's a lot here that I'm unfamiliar with, but I found all of it enjoyable. These BF tests are definitely pointing me to new listening, things I've missed, etc...and that's a good thing.

I like the no chordal instrument slant and there's a wide stylistic range of players here, so we see how differing approaches work with this. Nice sub theme.

The tracks I know are tracks 3, 10, and 14. My suspicions on the other tracks are too unfocused to venture a good guess. I think a lot of these guys are European (just a guess) and they sound great AND familiar AND worthy of further listening, but I don't really know who they are yet.

Is track one a movie thing?

Couw, go ahead and start your answer thread, I promise not to peek. ;):g

the answers have been posted in a secret hide out I will only give you the keys to once you've posted your guesses here. Oh, and no more Mr. Nice Guy, if I catch you trying to peek in, the repercussion will not be nice. Not nice at all... :rsmile:

and don't forget to water the plants in the new office ;)

and don't forget to water the plants in the new office  ;)

You don't know how funny this is.

I had my security cameras installed last night. When I get totally settled I may give some of you access to the server site so you can see what a palace it really is.

Imagine for your viewing pleasure....

CATESTA and his merry band of landscapers 24/7!

:g;):P

Edited by catesta

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got my comments! Better late than never! I do take this stuff somewhat seriously since I received my disc at some expense to the creator and his helpers.

As usual, I haven't yet looked at other people's comments. Wow, 5 pages to go through!

Here we go:

1. Sounds like the prelude to another song. Cannot identify it. Too short; no develepment. Jazz in Haiku.

2. Okay song. I cannot think of a thing to say...

3. Kick butt tune. The warm tone of the bari (Pepper Adams?) contrasts with the technically proficient but less emotional tenor solo.

4. Great tune. Very Coltrane-influenced. Sometimes I wonder if it's Sonny Rollins; other times Eric Dolphy on tenor.

5. Cecil Mcbee on bass? (wild shot!) Elvin Jones on drums?

6. Nice playing. Watkins on bass? That final flurry sounds familiar. I might own this...

7. I know the song, but typically cannot identify it. Never heard this version before.

8. No instant appeal for me.

9. More contemporary. Do not know them.

10. Interesting music and band to accompany a vocalist. I do like the band, but am not crazy about jazz vocals. Lyrics seem strange. Jim Sangrey will like this tune!! :g

11. Not my specialty area at all. Threadgill? Something that Chuck Nessa would produce. :g

12. Not my tastes at all.

13. Reminds me of Pharoah Sanders but more subdued and less passion than we are accustomed to with the Little Rock native. Must be someone else.

14. Time is a standard; cannot name it. Yes I can! I think it's Monk's "Ask Me Now." I don't know the musicians.

15. I'm terrible at identifying tunes, but I think this is "Lover man." I've obviously heard it before.

Lots of horns and active basslines, Couw. I thank you for getting the disc over to me. Thanks again!

:)

Paul,

some people DO read the comments by others before weighing in on their own I've noticed.

That would spoil all the fun. I have no idea what might prompt people to do that unless they felt an omnicognizant reputation to uphold--and tough tits on them if they feel so insecure as to "cheat."

Anyway, I didn't recognize any of the titles so it didn't matter.

TRACK 10 - YOU CALL THIS JAZZ???? :angry:

Well, good!

First cut off the first album I ever bought by this band (and the first cut by them I ever heard). It was love at first listen, and the love remains. You got to be totally tight to be this loose. And vice-versa. And you GOT to be 1000% real to be either one!

AN ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL ALBUM!!!

I knew Sangry would like this tune! :g (see my comments a couple posts up.)

• 4 weeks later...

it's Carnival and i have plenty of time till Thursday to do what i like...in other words, NOTHING except listen to jazz music.

better late than never but i would like to say that i have listened to this one already 7 or 8 times so i´m really enjoying it. obviously i don't have a clue who's playing what but....

i will check the answers (at last!) later

T01 - really nice, it seems to be part of a movie or a Schifrin composition. only on the fifth audition i realized that this track was shorter than i thought. i was sure that this was a prologue to the song which in fact is track 02.

T02 - it's really the kind of jazz that i like. Musicians playing hard and a nice groove, probably from the 50´s i guess. really liked this one!!

T03- another hit for me. nice percussion & beautiful harmony. from the 60´s maybe...i would love to hear the other tracks from this album. the bari player is great and the music itself is very stimulating and made me dance too :P

T04-really nice intro. the bass player really impressed me. something from Europe i guess, i´m not familiar at all with european jazz yet. another winner for me

T05-not fantastic but not bad too. i could listen to this on the radio and not change the dial. not too creative but well played.

T06-same as track 05

T07-i wouldn't buy this disc because of this song but it's good. a Monk tune after the 3rd minute. big band sound is not my favorite genre but it´s a pleasant track

T08-is this Houston Person? nice interplay between the sax and the bass. a nice ballad

T09-terrific!!! i need to have this on CD :g the drummer plays really loud and i like that. very heavy sound. reminds me Liebman but i´m not too familiar with his work. a challenging tune!

T10- this could be a CTI session, a funky bass line and an infectious groove. with this lady singing now i´m sure it's not a CTI session but i really like this kind of furious soul music. the lyrics are fine too

T11-the worst track on the compilation...

T12-really good!! this could be a Criss Cross session i think. i need to check the answers quickly!!

T13-nothing for me here

T14-i love this song! beautiful intepretation, very inspiring and all i can think is that Monk is really more than a genius. maybe we should split the history of human mankind on 2 different periods: Before Monk & After Monk...

T15-beautiful solo rendition of Lover Man.

so far, it's my favorite BFT disc. thanks a lot John!!!!!!

peace

Marcus Oliveira