Noises Off: Unintended/Unexpected Sounds of Jazz Recordings

BillF

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone told me there's a Billy Holliday recording at an open air festival where a plane can be heard flying over - a turboprop, he said! I've never heard this one though.

Don't know about that recording, but it definitely happens on Woody Herman's Herd at Monterey recording. I think the plane can actually be heard a couple of times, once during Victor Feldman's vibes solo IIRC (obviously a relatively low volume spot in the program).

Tom 1960 is right about the background sounds on Shelly's Black Hawk recordings. But they all seem approriate to the venue.

Twilight zone moment--I was listening to this recording when I read this post, John! Happens on track two, "Like Some Blues Man" while the band is in full flight as well as during the vibes solo. Very strange sound!

gregmo

Edited by Greg M.

I've always enjoyed the snippet of audience chatter at the start of Albert Ayler's Prophecy (ESP). Before the trio launch into Ghosts (First Variation) you can hear a woman's voice say:

"...over, rolled up on the couch I was sitting in and I looked down at him and he- everything was fine, but his feet were those of a... a four year old boy. Little booties... that's all..."

Would love to have heard the rest of that conversation...

I like the club atmosphere and all, but some couple is especially loud on the fist half of Sun Ra's Music for Tomorrow's World, where this chick in particular is yelling ''what time is it?", "play it Sun Ra! yeah!" and "go baby! yeah!" and if it isn't that, then she's laughing, clapping, grunting, shouting and on and on. Great cd nonetheless.

One of Grant Green's Blue Notes has a bottle rolling across the floor. There's a Gil Evans (on RCA) where a police siren can be heard.

lolz, which GG is that?

Sorry chewy, can't recall this offhand. If I come across it I'll let you know. Most likely one of the quartets with Sonny Clarke.

Edited by JohnS

One of Grant Green's Blue Notes has a bottle rolling across the floor.

lolz, which GG is that?

Sorry chewy, can't recall this offhand. If I come across it I'll let you know. Most likely one of the quartets with Sonny Clarke.

It's on God Bless The Child from the Sunday Mornin' album (the bottle is knocked over at 5:33).

There's a Gil Evans (on RCA) where a police siren can be heard.

Not familiar with that one, but on George Russell's RCA, the alternate take of Ballad Of Hix Blewitt has a siren in the background.

One of Grant Green's Blue Notes has a bottle rolling across the floor.

lolz, which GG is that?

It's on God Bless The Child from the Sunday Mornin' album (the bottle is knocked over at 5:33).

There's a Gil Evans (on RCA) where a police siren can be heard.

Not familiar with that one, but on George Russell's RCA, the alternate take of Ballad Of Hix Blewitt has a siren in the background.

Thanks Chas. You are probably right, it's the Russell disc. My memory could well be faulty. At least I got the label right!

Screeching Hi-Hats were part of many a recording - don't remember what it sounds like on the Benson, however. I remember Art Taylor's screeching on some Blue Note session - engineers should keep an oil bottle within reach.

Another curious example was some clicking noise at the beginning of Thelonious Monk's last session for Black Lion in London - it can be heard on the first takes. The engineers couldn't locate the source - Nellie saved the session by cutting her husband's fingernails ...

Edited by mikeweil

Another curious example was some clicking noise at the beginning of Thelonious Monk's last session for Black Lion in London - it can be heard on the first takes. The engineers couldn't locate the source - Nellie saved the session by cutting her husband's fingernails ...

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll have to review this when I get home, but I could swear that Hampton Hawes's All Night Session! 1 has a section where the engineers (I assume) are having a conversation (about football iirc). I'll try and confirm...I've heard it more than once, but it could possibly be disc #3; I don't own #2.

OT, but there's an old EMI classical recording of Wanda Landowska playing a Scarlatti sonata on harpsichord, recorded in Paris during World War II, in which bombs or artillery fire can be heard in the background.

Edited by T.D.

I'll have to review this when I get home, but I could swear that Hampton Hawes's All Night Session! 1 has a section where the engineers (I assume) are having a conversation (about football iirc). I'll try and confirm...I've heard it more than once, but it could possibly be disc #3; I don't own #2.

IIRC there's something on Vol3 - probably on the bonus track, "Blues of a Sort".

OT, but there's an old EMI classical recording of Wanda Landowska playing a Scarlatti sonata on harpsichord, recorded in Paris during World War II, in which bombs or artillery fire can be heard in the background.

Wow! :o