Sam Jones

blajay

Been awhile, but hello, friends. I'm just revisiting Barry Harris' great album At The Jazz Workshop and Sam Jones' solo on the first track "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby" really grabs me. I couldn't find a topic specifically on Jones, and I know he was mostly a sideman with Louis Hayes like on this record. I was curious if you folks have similarly resonant favorite performances by him as a sideman on record that you could recommend, but I also don't have any of his albums as a leader and would be curious about both the 60s stuff on Riverside but also the later 70s stuff on a variety of other labels.

Thanks!

Jay

One of my favorite descriptions comes from Ben Sidran's liner notes to Grant Green's "Nigeria" (now part of the "Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark" collection):

"The record closes with a flag-waver, "The Song Is You," in which we are reassured that straight ahead is the direction to go. Blakey is once again singing in his mikes, and Sam Jones, God bless him, is walking and shaking his head. There are few things in life more pleasant than walking along with Sam Jones shaking your head."

This is a very interesting record:

51zIJgRW37L._SS500_.jpg

Two bassists (NHOP on "lead" bass and Sam handling the bottom) with Billy Higgins on drums and Philip Catherine on occasional guitar.

I had a couple Sam Jones albums under his own name, but it was his performances as part of Clifford Jordan's Magic Triangle (with Cedar Walton and Billy Higgins) that really opened my eyes. Night of the Mark VII is my favorite of those albums, but I own (I think) all the rest, and none of them disappoint me.

jordan_clif_nightofth_101b.jpg

Edited by Chicago Expat

"Something In Common" is great, but I fondly remember the short lived Tom Harrell-Sam Jones Big Band, that didn't record.

Here's on of my photos with Sam Jones along with Jimmy Heath, Slide Hampton and Ben Riley.

That the infamous Vinnie Ruggiero on the left, by the way:

445566851_12f6f56ca1_z.jpg

"Something In Common" is great, but I fondly remember the short lived Tom Harrell-Sam Jones Big Band, that didn't record.

The billing on "Something New" (Interplay Records) from 1979 is the Sam Jones 12 Piece Band. Harrell is not in the group, but I've always assumed the book and sound of this band was essentially the same as when Harrell had co-billing. Is that right, or was there a substantial difference between the groups?

Re: Jones on record. Jones steals the show on Blue Mitchell's "Blue's Moods," partly because for some reason the bass is recorded really, really clear on that record. and you can hear every nuance of his sound, time and note-choice.

Edited by Mark Stryker

"The Bassist" a trio session on Interplay records and "Visitation" on Steeplechase records are two of my favorites under his name. What a great sound and feel he gets!! Also, Sam Jones can be found on many Xanadu records such as Jimmy Raney's "Complete Live in Tokyo" and others. IMHO, if you see Sam's name on a recording, it's gonna be swingin'!!! :)

Why is Ruggiero infamous?

Bertrand.

That would take up too much space here.

Here's a photo:

tCRVRPJ1x.jpg

Charles, Vinnie & Philly Joe

Untitled.png

Drums, Vinnie Ruggiero; trombone, Benjamin Jacobs-El; bass, Butch Warren. Others and location unknown. Circa 1962, NYC.

Edited by marcello

The billing on "Something New" (Interplay Records) from 1979 is the Same Jones 12 Piece Band. Harrell is not in the group, but I've always assumed the book and sound of this band was essentially the same as when Harrell had co-billing. Is that right, or was there a substantial difference between the groups?

Re: Jones on record. Jones steals the show on Blue Mitchell's "Blue's Moods," partly because for some reason the bass is recorded really, really clear on that record. and you can hear every nuance of his sound, time and note-choice.

Mark, I haven't heard "Something New", but will look for it. I would assume that with the expanded personnel, the arrangements and maybe the charts are different. I have a tape I made of a few songs.

I have "Something New" on both LP and CD. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find the CD -- it's on the Interplay label out of Japan but it has been several years years since it's release (same as "The Bassist" CD on the same label). However, both are highly recommended and worth the search!

I second all the Eastern Rebellion LP/CD's (never heard Sam Jones in person -- wish I would have had that opportunity) and I also second Duke Jordan's "Lover Man" (I was just listening to Jordan's "Lover Man" CD 2 days ago --should have thought of that one myself!)

Edited by JohnT

Sam Jones is one of my favourite bassists. I really dig his warm and huge tone, his preciseness and his lyrical ability and agility.

I have a specific tie to "The Soul Society" because the Society consists of wonderful men and Jones' playing on cello is just beautiful. In the same line I'd recommend "Work Song" which features one of the best performances of Nat Adderley.

"Everybody digs Bill Evans" is a special recording, because it teams Bill Evans with the more low-key-playing and more "grounded" sound of Jones. Nice contrast to the work Evans has done with LaFaro.

Then Jones has been the foundation of so many great HardBop-classics like "Open Sesame", "True Blue" or "Undercurrent" and gems like the aforementioned "Heavyweight" or Harold Land's "West Coast Blues".

It's really hard to not find a record where Jones instantly catches the listeners attention.

Edited by Katharsis