Mystery Trumpet Player

Brownian Motion

I'm trying to recall the name of a bop trumpet player I heard play in Durham North Carolina in 1983. All I remember about him is that he was African-American, and that he was based in North Carolina. A couple of years later I found out that he had made a few records in the early 1960s with several well-known jazz musicians. I'd recognize his name if I heard it.

Any help would be appreciated.

THE "JFK" QUINTET

New Jazz Frontiers from Washington

OJCCD-1924-2 (Riverside 9396) ~ $14.98

The young men who comprised the JFK Quintet were looking for greater freedom of expression while never forgetting the elemental black music of their Southern upbringings. The result was a blues-inflected music under the spell of developments put forward by Ornette Coleman and by Miles Davis and Bill Evans in the Davis band that included John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley. It was Adderley who discovered the band in Washington, D.C. and brought them to public attention by way of this recording. Saxophonist Andrew White went on to become one of the primary chroniclers and transcribers of Coltrane's work. Trumpeter Ray Codrington later recorded with Eddie Harris. Walter Booker, Jr. became Adderley's bassist. Inspired by President John F. Kennedy's concern with new ideas and new policies, they incorporated his initials into the name of their group.

Aw-ite, Eugly's Tune, Hominy Grits, Dancing in the Dark, Cici's Delight, Nairod, Polka Dots and Moonbeams, Delories

Ray Codrington, Andrew White, Harry Killgo, Walter Booker, Jr., Carl "Mickey" Newman

Andrew White told me there is a third JFK quintet record (on Riverside) in the can that has never seen the light of day. This one has Joe Chambers on drums, in what is probably his first recording session. Joe was the group's drummer in the tail end of its existence.

Bertrand.

Andrew White told me there is a third JFK quintet record (on Riverside) in the can that has never seen the light of day. This one has Joe Chambers on drums, in what is probably his first recording session. Joe was the group's drummer in the tail end of its existence.

Now why don't they put that one out? Are they afraid of paying royalties?