BFT 87 Reveal

Joe

The Q&A has come to an end, Bennet Cerf and Dorothy Kilgallen have removed their blindfolds, and it is time to learn the identities of our mystery guests. I will save my comments for a later post, or will interject them into the discussion (if any) that follows.

TRACKS 1 - 4

rumsey.png

(01)

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars, "Bossa Nova" (Bob Cooper)

JUST JAZZ television broadcast, 1962 [?]

Bob Cooper (ts), Bobby Bryant (flugelhorn), Forest Westbrook (p), Rumsey (b), Doug Sides (d)

(You can watch this band's "complete performance here).

f32096t69vp.jpg

(02)

Smiley Winters, "Two Trains" (Bert Wilson)

SMILEY ETC., 1969

Barbara Donald (tp), Bert Wilson (ts), Chris Amberger (b), Harley White (b), James Zitro (d), Smiley Winters (d), Mike O'Barra (perc)

o88958wjn8g.jpg

(03)

Wadada Leo Smith / Ed Blackwell, "Buffalo People - A Blues Ritual Dance" (Wadada Leo Smith)

THE BLUE MOUNTAIN'S SUN DRUMMER, rec. 1986, released 2011

Smith (tp), Blackwell (d)

f49523adb3s.jpg

(04)

Art Farmer, "Up in Quincy's Room" (Gigi Gryce, arr. Gryce)

ART FARMER SEPTET, 1953

Art Farmer (tp), Jimmy Cleveland(tb), Cliff Solomon (ts), Oscar Estell (bs), Quincy Jones (p), Monk Montgomery (el b), Sonny Johnson (d)

Edited by Joe

TRACKS 5 - 8

e90387lvo5g.jpg

(05)

Frank Van Bommel, "Albuquerque Social Swim" (Dick Twardzik)

A CRUTCH FOR THE CRAB, 1999

Frank Van Bommel (p), Tobias / Toby Delius (ts), Arjen Gorter (b), Martin Van Duynhoven (d)

bailador.jpg

(06)

Michel Portal, "Bailador" (Michel Portal)

BAILADOR, 2011

Michel Portal (bass cl), Ambrose Akinmusire (tp), Lionel Loueke (g), Bojan Z. (p), Scott Colley (b), Jack DeJohnette (d)

e95207ls8he.jpg

(07)

Marty Ehrlich, "The Falling Rains Of Life" (Jaki Byard)

SONG, 2001

Marty Ehrlich (bass cl), Uri Caine (p), Michael Formanek (b), Billy Drummond (d)

bnp2.jpg

(08)

Bennie Wallace, "Broadside" (Bennie Wallace)

ONE NIGHT WITH BLUE NOTE PRESERVED V. 2, 1985

Bennie Wallace (ts), Cecil McBee (b), Jack DeJohnette (d)

Edited by Joe

TRACKS 9 - 13

e91834ffm5j.jpg

(09)

Tom Archia, "The Battle" (Tom Archia)

1947 - 1948 (CLASSICS series), 1948

Tom Archia (ts); Gene Ammons (ts); Willie Jones (p); LeRoy Jackson (b); Wesley Landers (d)

d70715yo0yd.jpg

(10)

Glenn Wilson / Rory Stuart, "Armageddon" (Wayne Shorter)

BITTERSWEET, 1990

Glenn Wilson (bs), Rory Stuart (g)

f49771avu17.jpg

(11)

A. Spencer Barefield, "Xenogenesis" (A. Spencer Barefield)

LIVE AT NICKELSDORF KONFRONTATIONEN, 1984

A. Spencer Barefield (g), Anthony Holland (as), Tani Tabbal (d)

shelton.jpg

(12)

Aram Shelton's Arrive, "There Was..." (Aram Shelton)

"THERE WAS...", 2011

Aram Shelton (as), Jason Adasiewicz (vib), Jason Roebke (b), Tim Daisy (d)

n03276feyik.jpg

(13)

Freddie Redd, "Night Song" (Freddie Redd)

EXTEMPORANEOUS, 1978

Freddie Redd (p)

First time in over a year that I've actually known something on a BFT. "Blue Mountain's Sun Drummer" for my money is a terrific album. The Aram Shelton album is something I need to check out further, also.

I'm going to have another listen to the BFT now that I know the IDs. Thanks very much for you effort.

NIS -- thanks for being a part of this BFT.

I included the Smith / Blackwell track, in part, to shine a light on an archival issue that hasn't gotten much attention. Smith is still going strong, of course; you could even argue that he's making some of the most interesting music of his career right now. Blackwell is no longer with us, sadly, but this is him in his prime... less demonstrative than when he was providing a polyrhythmic foundation for Ornette's groups. Besides, if, as Jim pointed out, Gene Ammons is the answer to (just about) every damn question, "a New Orleans drummer" is the answer to every damn question to which Gene Ammons is not.

The Shelton (as well as the Portal) I included out of a desire to stay more contemporary with BFT (my last one, 68, leaned more towards retrospection). I've been impressed with everything I've heard featuring Shelton (check out GREY GHOST on 482 Music) and Adasiewicz thus far... perhaps as composers than "distinctive voices" at this stage of their careers, but impressed nonetheless. Sure, the music is very much indebted to the whole McLean / Moncur / Hutcherson axis of EVOLUTION / ONE STEP BEYOND etc., but that's not a model of group interplay that's been exploited to extent, say, that the Coltrane Quartet or the "2nd Great Davis Quintet" has. For example, there's a focus on space within the ensemble, but not at the expense of rhythmic interest. Adasiewicz in particular impresses; I've not heard a vibes player create accompaniments quite like his.

Edited by Joe

Well, no wonder I could not identify anything, although I have the albums for #7 and 8. I have not listened to them in a while though.

There are many albums new to me here which I want to go out and get now. The Leo Smith/Blackwell album contains some of my favorite Leo Smith playing ever, already, just from the one cut you provided for us.

I can't believe that I was so confident that one of the two tenor saxophonists on #9 was Dexter Gordon, from the thrown-in quote, but then neither one of them is Dexter Gordon!

What you did with #1 was great, to pull it from a non-album source.

Thanks for a very intriguing test.

Track 1 -- strikes me as a GREAT shame that this group did not make its way into a studio, at least as far as I am aware. Bob Cooper sounds superb here. He's still pulling his style largely out of Lester's bag, but there's an edge creeping in as well. Maybe its the bossa -- and this has got to be one of the earlier of the "hard bossas". Anyway, a neat souvenir from a rather forgotten period in LA's jazz history.

Tom Archia is one of those pseudo-shadowy jazz-no-R&B-what's-the-real-difference-anyway? players. Not quite as distinctive a player as, say, fellow Texans John Hardee or Illinois Jacquet, but as a progenitor of "bluebop"... and name worth remembering. Also, for those curious, there's a very nice website covering Archia's life and recording career, available here: http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/archia.html

This was wonderful, Joe. And now my Want List just got longer.

The Marty Ehrlich was lurking in my collection all along. No wonder 7 seemed familiar.

Thanks also for the wonderful Tom Archia link. Feel like posting that one in the "Artists" forum? More people should see it!

Sure, if there's interest, I'd be happy to start an Archia thread over in "Artists".

I've liked Ehrlich's work ever since I first heard him on John Carter's FIELDS. He's developed a very personal voice on bass clarinet; hard to escape the Dolphy influence on that instrument. "The Falling Rains of Life" is just a beautiful, perfectly measured performance; Uri Caine is particularly is wonderfully restrained here (I appreciate the wittiness of some of his other projects, but also appreciate his ability to put it aside when need be.) I also choose this track out of a desire to shed some more light on Jaki Byard's considerable compositional gifts. (BTW, Jaki's original recording has been reissued on SOLO / STRINGS.)

e314440eu19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...