Jack Sheldon

Gordokae

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn, sorry to hear this. A fine player and a great all-round entertainer. Glad I got chance to see him play, appreciate his quick wit and also hear his reminiscences of the LA 'scene'. RIP and thanks, Mr Sheldon. :(

By way of immediate tribute, this one is going on deck -

313YD76CAVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Very sad news, if it is true...

His website (which has not been updated lately) says he is 'on extended vacation'!

The man was so full of live! Loved his work with Jimmy Giuffre, Art Pepper, Curtis Counce and so many others...

The vacation has become infinite, I'm afraid...

JazzTimes obit

Sad news.

Edited by J.A.W.

Damn, sorry to hear this. A fine player and a great all-round entertainer. Glad I got chance to see him play, appreciate his quick wit and also hear his reminiscences of the LA 'scene'. RIP and thanks, Mr Sheldon. :(

By way of immediate tribute, this one is going on deck -

Sad news indeed. This is the only leader date of his I own, so I will put it on next too.

His website (which has not been updated lately) says he is 'on extended vacation'!

The man was so full of live! Loved his work with Jimmy Giuffre, Art Pepper, Curtis Counce and so many others...

JazzTimes obit

Sad news.

I still don't see any real confirmation of his death. The JazzTimes article does not provide any attribution to their news!

Hope it's all wrong and that Jack Sheldon will get kicks out of all the obits coming on when he reports back!

The thing I remember about Jack Sheldon is that he played in talk show host Merv Griffin's Orchestra. At the time(early 1970's) he appeared to me at least, a real corn ball and horribly unhip even with his shoulder length hair. Come to find over 30+ years later when I began listening to west coast jazz from the 1950's, I found he played on a number of dates. A competent player. Certainly not top tier, but someone who definitely could hold his own. Sorry to hear of his passing. I'll dig out some of those sessions in the coming days in his memory. The Sheldon disc sited by many here is definitely on the list.

JazzTimes obit

Sad news.

I still don't see any real confirmation of his death. The JazzTimes article does not provide any attribution to their news!

Hope it's all wrong and that Jack Sheldon will get kicks out of all the obits coming on when he reports back!

Reclicked the link and got: The page you were looking for is not active or doesn't exist.

Wonder if brownie might have it right. Let's hope so.

This one really hurts. I used to see Jack play quite often after I first moved to L.A. back in the late 80s. But I haven't seen him in many years despite his having a semi-regular gig at a bar not ten minutes away. He was such a fixture that it was easy to take him for granted. He was Jack Sheldon and he'd always be around to entertain us. Sadly, no more. R.I.P.

"Reports of Jack Sheldon's Death False"

http://jazztimes.com/articles/27900-reports-of-jack-sheldon-s-death-false

Earlier this morning we mistakenly published an obituary on Los Angeles-based trumpeter Jack Sheldon, based on unconfirmed reports from within the jazz industry that Sheldon had died.

Sheldon is not deceased. His wife, Dianne Sheldon, has confirmed that Sheldon is alive and well and in Los Angeles. Mrs. Sheldon also said that she does not know how the rumors began.

JT regrets the error.