• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

new review:

JAZZ TIMES

09/11/11 • Albums • By Scott Albin

Blues and the Empirical Truth-- Allen Lowe [Music & Arts CD-1251]

Allen Lowe's Blues and the Empirical Truth is one of the most ambitious and fulfilling projects to come out of the jazz world in recent years, a dazzling array of 52 blues and blues-based tracks covering three CDs and about 223 minutes in total. All composed and arranged by Lowe, it took at least seven recording sessions--from 2009 to early 2011--to complete. The end result is compulsive and mesmerizing.

Blues and the Empirical Truth can be seen as a logical milestone in the eclectic, wide-ranging career of Lowe, whose prior recordings included music inspired by the likes of Louis Armstrong and Astor Piazzolla, among others. Lowe's 1994 release, Dark Was the Night--Cold Was the Ground was a direct precursor that like this new one featured trombonist extraordinaire Roswell Rudd. In addition, Lowe is the compiler and annotator of comprehensive anthologies such as the 9-CD American Pop: An Audio History--From Minstrel to Mojo: On Record 1893-1946; the 36-CD That Devilin' Tune: A Jazz History 1895-1950; and the ongoing Really the Blues? A Blues History 1893-1959, which will eventually span yet another 36 CDs!

How does Blues and the Empirical Truth compare to Oliver Nelson's 1961 Blues and the Abstract Truth? Lowe's presentation is more specific, while Nelson's was more generic. Blues and the Empirical Truth places the blues in various contexts, exploring its societal and cultural derivations and instigations, enhanced by what has sprung from Lowe's personal tastes, influences, and inspirations. There are tributes to numerous diverse individuals, such as swing band vocalist/movie star Doris Day, obscure bebop altoist Dave Schildkraut, famous 19th century black pianist and composer Blind Tom Bethune, and civil rights activists Pauli Murray and Ella Mae Wiggins. Other pieces reference Bud Powell, Elvis Presley, Duke Ellington, Lennie Tristano, the Velvet Underground, Albert Ayler, Dave Brubeck, Pete Brown, and Jelly Roll Morton. As one can see, the reach is mind-boggling. The first three selections alone on CD 1 recall consecutively the work of Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, and Julius Hemphill.

Besides Lowe's proficiency and passion on saxophones and guitar (not to mention his included fascinating written annotations), the project's overwhelming success is largely due to Rudd's always distinctive trombone, Matthew Shipp and Lewis Porter's personalized and versatile keyboards, the luminosity of guitarists Marc Ribot and Ray Suhy, the impactful Tom Waits-like vocals of Todd Hutchisen, and the receptive and responsive bass and electronic drums of Jessie Hautala and Jake Millet.

As Lowe asks, "Is blues a matter of feeling or form(at)?," or as he otherwise puts it, "form and feeling as vessels of stylistic transport." It's a constant joy to be on board for the extended and winding ride. Blues and the Empirical Truth should make quite a few Top 10 lists for 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Hull:

Allen Lowe: Blues and the Empirical Truth (2009-11 [2011], Music & Arts, 3CD): Probably better known for his books and compilations -- the 9-CD American Pop: An Audio History From Minstrel to Mojo and the 36-CD That Devilin' Tune: A Jazz History plus their separately published books, with a new 36-CD blues series in the works -- than for his original music. I first discovered him when Francis Davis tabbed his first two self-released 1990-92 albums as Pick Hits in an earlier edition of Jazz Consumer Guide -- critical admiration that continues as Davis wrote liner notes for this release. Based in Maine, mostly cut with a local group occasionally spiced with outside star power -- Marc Ribot, Matthew Shipp, Roswell Rudd, Lewis Porter -- this digs deeper than I could have imagined into blues form, blues notes, and blues psyche, turning every aspect over and inside out. Lowe plays alto, C melody, and tenor sax, and guitar. While most of the guitar is played by Ray Suhy or Marc Ribot, Lowe especially stands out on "Williamsburg Blues" -- his guitar with Shipp's piano. Three discs means some sprawl, comparable I'd say to 69 Love Songs in that neither the theme nor the invention ever wears thin. (Well, maybe a bit in the middle disc.) A-

• 2 weeks later...

this just in; in French from something called Focus; accompanied by 5 stars, so I assume it's friendly; if not, don't tell me.

JAZZ | Une méditation sur le blues par un saxophoniste et compositeur doublé d'un musicologue. Avec Blues and the Empirical Truth (hommage à l'album d'Oliver Nelson enregistré il y a un demi-siècle), Allen Lowe livre un point de vue neuf et décapant sur ce genre musical fondamental à travers 52 morceaux qui éparpillent le blues aux 4 coins de la musique populaire américaine (et même au-delà)-partant des champs de coton pour aboutir au free jazz, en passant par l'église, les marching bands, les maisons closes, le ragtime, les minstrels, le swing, le bop, le rock, la pop, tout en faisant référence à des musiciens aussi divers que Johann Strauss, Maybelle Carter, Armstrong, Ellington, Billie Holiday, Bud Powel, Max Roach, Mingus, Brubeck, David Schilkraut, Doris Day, Miles, Ayler, James Brown, Coltrane ou Lou Reed! Entouré, selon les titres, par les pianistes Lewis Porter et Matthew Shipp, le tromboniste Roswell Rudd, les guitaristes Marc Ribot et Ray Suhy, le saxophoniste Spikes Sikes, le contrebassiste Jessie Hautala, l'électro-batteur Jake Millett et le chanteur Todd Hutchinsen (sur 3 titres), Allen Lowe, qui évoque Ornette à l'alto (instrument auquel il substitue, ici ou là, le ténor, le C melody sax et même la guitare), fait montre d'une imagination débordante, d'une culture illimitée et d'un humour (juif) détonant au sein d'un triple album qui, à l'exception peut-être du grand précurseur évoqué plus haut (The Blues and the Abstract Truth), est sans équivalent dans son genre.

Ph.E

this just in; in French from something called Focus; accompanied by 5 stars, so I assume it's friendly; if not, don't tell me.

JAZZ | Une méditation sur le blues par un saxophoniste et compositeur doublé d'un musicologue. Avec Blues and the Empirical Truth (hommage à l'album d'Oliver Nelson enregistré il y a un demi-siècle), Allen Lowe livre un point de vue neuf et décapant sur ce genre musical fondamental à travers 52 morceaux qui éparpillent le blues aux 4 coins de la musique populaire américaine (et même au-delà)-partant des champs de coton pour aboutir au free jazz, en passant par l'église, les marching bands, les maisons closes, le ragtime, les minstrels, le swing, le bop, le rock, la pop, tout en faisant référence à des musiciens aussi divers que Johann Strauss, Maybelle Carter, Armstrong, Ellington, Billie Holiday, Bud Powel, Max Roach, Mingus, Brubeck, David Schilkraut, Doris Day, Miles, Ayler, James Brown, Coltrane ou Lou Reed! Entouré, selon les titres, par les pianistes Lewis Porter et Matthew Shipp, le tromboniste Roswell Rudd, les guitaristes Marc Ribot et Ray Suhy, le saxophoniste Spikes Sikes, le contrebassiste Jessie Hautala, l'électro-batteur Jake Millett et le chanteur Todd Hutchinsen (sur 3 titres), Allen Lowe, qui évoque Ornette à l'alto (instrument auquel il substitue, ici ou là, le ténor, le C melody sax et même la guitare), fait montre d'une imagination débordante, d'une culture illimitée et d'un humour (juif) détonant au sein d'un triple album qui, à l'exception peut-être du grand précurseur évoqué plus haut (The Blues and the Abstract Truth), est sans équivalent dans son genre.

Ph.E

They definitely loved it. To sort of translate the final bit:

Allen Lowe. . . shows a boundless imagination, unlimited culture (maybe structure?), a humor (jewish) exploding within a triple album which, with the exception perhaps of the great precursor mentioned above (The Blues and the Abstract Truth), is without equal in the genre.

I just got a solicitation from Amazon.com, presumably based on their calculations of my "tastes".

Subject: Blues & the Empirical Truth (sic)

Are you looking for something in our Blues department? If so, you might be interested in these items.

Blues & the Empirical Truth

by Allen Lowe

Price: $41.68

Plays More Blues, Ballads & Favorites

by Jimmie Vaughan

Price: $11.68

How I Go (Special Edition)

by Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Price: $15.78

Curious Case of Paddy Milner

by Paddy Milner

Price: $30.23

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues

by Wynton Marsalis

Price: $9.99

Back to New York City

by Popa Chubby

Price: $11.68

The Late Show

by Barry Levenson

Price: $12.85

Low Down & Tore Up

by Duke Robillard

Price: $13.38

Yep, hard to imagine a more similar bunch of albums than this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played all three cds again on the way to LA and back. Great record(s)!. BTW Allen: You write that "Moma, Mercy comes in Spurts" is "based on an old Paramount recording..." Which one? It seems to me to borrow a phrase from Johnson's "Come on in My Kitchen", though as you add the Paramount record was "probably based on a field holler". Maybe the same one from which Johnson borrowed. Or maybe he heard the record you're talking about.

Also who's playing tambourine or whatever on Harlem Ashram? Did you or Shipp have something tied to your foot?

Joe - I can't remember which Paramount I based it on - I will look it up this weekend -

the tambourine was a guy hanging out at the studio that day - we put that together on the spot -

Chuck - you can do it. Think of it as the Jazz version of War and Peace. Or maybe, better, Valley of the Dolls (or if it's Sunday, the Book of Genesis).

Moms: thanks for the compliment.

Given the Blues Politics these days, I'm thinking I should have called it: The White Album.

Edited by AllenLowe