David "Fathead" Newman 60's sides

undergroundagent

Can anyone comment on his dates as a leader in the sixties (i.e. House of David), and even his lone date from the 50s with Ray Charles?

He strikes me as somewhat of an unknown in soul jazz circles, though from what little I've heard from him, he's very soulful.

Edited by undergroundagent

Well...I don't think he's an unknown. On the contrary, I think he's pretty well known to the serious jazz fan and VERY well known to musicians.

I love the recordings you referenced. particularly the Ray Charles Presents Fathead album. There's a couple of classics there. The ones that first come to mind are HARD TIMES and WIERD BEARD.

....and then there's the solos on Ray Charles' records...MAN!! Pick about anything he solos on and it's an out and out gas. YES INDEED, SWANEE RIVER ROCK, TELL THE TRUTH...on and on. These are really seminal records and following the trail can lead you into places and sounds you may not know existed...and it's a trail that never ends and is as rewarding and satisfying and revealing as any musical tangent you can go on. Fathead is the real deal to the max.

David Newman is one of my favorite jazz musicians, and I've seen him in many settings, mostly at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth--he played there a couple of times in a quartet with Ellis Marsalis on piano, once in an organ trio with Leon Spencer, in a quintet with Roy Hargrove, with James Clay and Cornell Dupree, in various quartets, and I've seen him in concert with Marchel Ivory--he's always an utterly superb combination of sophisticated, soulful hard bop, and the blues. He's great and underappreciated.

Fathead: Ray Charles Present has been re-issued on CD. I picked up a copy of this Sunday when I went to see Fathead perform (Along with his new Highnote CD that's not in stores yet). The show was great with David is fine form; he played a tune by Bird, a couple off the new disc and several others.

Mark

• 4 years later...

I certainly wouldn't call him "unknown" either.

If you can possibly find a used copy of the 32 Jazz "It's Mister Fathead" 2-CD album, that should fit the bill nicely. It compiles four albums onto two discs:

1.Fathead/Ray Charles Present David Newman,

2.Straight Ahead,

3.Fathead Comes On,

4.House Of David

Straight Ahead also is a quartet with Fathead and Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers. and Charlie Persip! (Nice! :tup )

I certainly wouldn't call him "unknown" either.

If you can possibly find a used copy of the 32 Jazz "It's Mister Fathead" 2-CD album, that should fit the bill nicely. It compiles four albums onto two discs:

1.Fathead/Ray Charles Present David Newman,

2.Straight Ahead,

3.Fathead Comes On,

4.House Of David

Straight Ahead also is a quartet with Fathead and Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers. and Charlie Persip! (Nice! :tup )

Strong recommendation on the 32 Jazz twofer. It's a very strong set.