Vocalion

crisp

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I really remembered him in bike helmet & shorts. Who had an album cover like taht then...Tim Weisberg?

Yeah, Time Weisberg:

1404f5b7-a984-4b1e-9640-6b28f3d7b1a9-0.JPG

Maybe Bennie ditches the flares for shorts on the back cover? Still concerned that those strides are going to get awfully oily

Unless Shakatak really is jazz. Is it?

I quite like them. :blush:

I notice on eBay that someone is advertising a number of upcoming Dick Morrissey CDs including the one you mention Sidewinder, "Have You Heard?". The label is called JAZZHUS DISK but there's something about the listing that looks a bit fishy. Does anyone know anything about these releases?

Dick Morrissey on eBay

Sounds fishy but they are claiming that it is fully authorised. I was thinking it might have been one of those sellers peddling LP dub CD-Rs. Same thing that was going on with 'Hum Dono' and 'Cosmic Eye Dream Sequence'.

Don't think I've ever seen any of those '77 Records' issues on CD. I have a few of them on LP test pressings, more the trad stuff (bought from Mole, of all places) but sadly not one of the 'Have You Heard'.

Edited by sidewinder

Nice to see Johnny Scott 'London Swings' amongst the titles (included with the Tubbs/Gonsalves). That one was a mid-price Studio 2 LP I think, with the Johnny Scott Orchestra playing London-ish themes. One to blast out of your car speakers as you head to the Olympics. :D

Really delighted with these Vocalion reissues because,as Sidewinder correctly implied, it shows Vocalion are still in the British jazz reissues market and if that's not enough they've reissued what is surely Skid's finest album and probably one of the best Brit jazz albums ever recorded. I've got most (but not all) of the Dankworth, Skid, Tubbs and Dick Morrissey ones but will be re-purchasing them again. This is extremely good news for British jazz fans. :tup

Edited by RogerF

So the Johnny Scott Orch is separate from the TH/PG? It's not TH/PG backed by this orchestra?

Don't know why, but I think I'm relieved?

Yes, they are separate and totally unrelated sessions. The Johnny Scott Orchestra session is a more 'commercial' venture. Stdio 2 was an imprint aimed at the mainstream/hi-fi buff/Jason King crowd.

Edited by sidewinder

Really delighted with these Vocalion reissues because,as Sidewinder correctly implied, it shows Vocalion are still in the British jazz reissues market and if that's not enough they've reissued what is surely Skid's finest album and probably one of the best Brit jazz albums ever recorded. I've got most (but not all) of the Dankworth, Skid, Tubbs and Dick Morrissey ones but will be re-purchasing them again. This is extremely good news for British jazz fans. :tup

More of Tubbs is always good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the Skidmore.

I have it as a Japanese mini-lp. 'Tis really good.

TCB is an excellent, excellent record. Swings hard with some break-out solos. But the cover? It's either slightly disturbing, or suggestive of ... ?

post-282-0-59259800-1310930370_thumb.jpg post-282-0-65004200-1310930665_thumb.jpg

Also of note — John Taylor on piano is amazing on this recording. Reminiscent, to me, of Herbie Hancock's playing on Joe Henderson's Power To The People. Very sensitive.

Edited by Late

• 2 weeks later...

The Morrissey twofer is an essential listen. I was completely blown away by the couple cuts that were on that Impressed Vol 3 and am thankful that Vocalion presented this as complete. five star.

The Hayes / Gonsalves (:tup) paired with the Johnny Scott is a bit of a "Collectables" tandem - guys furiously pedaling upfront while the big band in the rear should be on another bike altogether.

Thanks for the thumbs up/warning (over here)...

Shake Keane - DIG IT! & SHAKE KEANE WITH THE KEATING SOUND

Is that one worth getting? Is it easy listening/lounge stuff... still worth getting?

Don Rendell - Playtime & singles compilation

And how 'bout that one?

Guess this one I need:

Garrick's Fairground - MR SMITH'S APOCALYPSE

also...

Tony Crombie - SWEET, WIDE AND BLUE & TWELVE FAVOURITE FILM THEMES

The Kirchin Band - EMI SINGLES COMPILATION 1954-56: GOTTA BE THIS OR THAT

Kenny Baker - OPERATION JAM SESSION, TRIBUTE TO BENNY CARTER ETC.

Michael Garrick's New Quartet - LIVE AT PIZZA ON THE PARK

The latest is a DVD and as I rarely watch the few I have... but it's rather cheap.

Got the other few jazz discs that are in the sale... don't overlook the Ray Russell, it's excellent!

Yes, I've already got the Garrick's Fairground, Rendell, Shake Keane and Tony Crombie..

but have just filled my boots with the two Kenny Bakers, Thad Jones, Stan Butcher, Ray Russell, Garrick DVD, Martin Drew/Tony Lee, Eddie Thompson and of course the Kirchins. :excited:

Vocalion packing department will be busy tomorrow. :lol:

Shake Keane - Easy listening-ish and not a patch on the Harriott stuff but good fun and strangely adictive !

Rendell - no brainer.

Garrick - it's choral (may be a plus or minus) but an important Argo album and definitely worth getting.

Edited by sidewinder

Ah well, guess I'll skip... some of these may stay in the 5£ range (some have, for a while, it seems) and there's not really enough to pique my interest.

Will grab the Garrick and Rendell eventually and get some more Kirchin, too (all I have so far is one Trunk disc, that Industrial North one... pretty great!)

Ah well, guess I'll skip... some of these may stay in the 5£ range (some have, for a while, it seems) and there's not really enough to pique my interest.

Will grab the Garrick and Rendell eventually and get some more Kirchin, too (all I have so far is one Trunk disc, that Industrial North one... pretty great!)

I love the automated-multiplier-when-board-is-constipated effect :crazy:

(all I have so far is one Trunk disc, that Industrial North one... pretty great!)

No kidding - that one is brilliant ! The Kirchin Band was a medium sized group with his Dad, Ivor. Sort of covered Ted Heath-ish showband territory but with some very good jazz soloists.

Edited by sidewinder