Vocalion

crisp

(all I have so far is one Trunk disc, that Industrial North one... pretty great!)

No kidding - that one is brilliant ! The Kirchin Band was a medium sized group with his Dad, Ivor. Sort of covered Ted Heath-ish showband territory but with some very good jazz soloists.

Thanks for the heads up with the sale - I'm surprised I didn't get an email (buy from Dutton a couple of times a year)

Went for the Garricks (Apocalypse & Troppo), Ray Russell, Thad Jones & Kirchins

The Thad Jones double is interesting - was originally released on Period (other half of LP was Sonny Rollins) & Prestige (wasn't technically a TJ LP - has been released as an OJC) - did Vocalion lease these sessions?

I'm interested to hear the Kirchin Big Band material - have all the Trunk CD's (big fan of Basil's) - wish his only officially released LP (WORLDS WITHIN WORLDS) on Columbia could garner a release

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 'Mad Thad' was issued in the UK on NIXA (as with the Kenny Bakers) so that is probably why it has got a reissue through Vocalion.

Pathe News have a colour film of the Kirchin Band rehearsing 'Carribean Fire Dance' off of the EMI compilation which is worth checking out. I think Sir George Martin produced those sessions on the compilation.

'Worlds Within Worlds' (both volumes) would be a great title for reissue. I don't think the first volume of that one ever properly made it into the shops as most copies I've heard of (a handfull) have been review copies. Comes up on ebay about once a decade !

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned on a classical thread, Dutton Vocalion are just starting to put their recording out as downloads on iTunes. Only a handful so far and mainly classical and nostalgia. But in the long run it should make the jazz recordings not just more available but keep them in circulation.

Of no use to downloadaphobes but I'd imagine it would make acquiring the music easier from outside the UK.

Great news. I still need to upload all of that Mrs Mills, Frank Chacksfield and Mantovani material onto my I-Pod. :lol:

I don't know how I exist without it!

Get started with:

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDSA6805&cat=396

or

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDSA6810&cat=396

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 5 months later...

The HARRY BECKETT is excellent .

Yes indeed!

Was "Troppo" previously out in the impressed/re-pressed series? I remember mine having very lousy print and shabby info... Vocalion does better usually (not at home to check though.

correct even with a magnifier the liners are illegible, luckily as Sidewinder pointed out the sound is fine on the Impressed/Repressed version. I played it through last night and found it more progressive than I remembered.

Aw well ... excellent musicianship to be sure (as always with Edelhagen), but jazzwise the selections reissued there are a bit on the predictable, all too clean side IMHO. Technicality and fireworks and certainly a lot of precision and punch behind the arrangements, but from a creative, jazz-oriented perspective, the Edelhagen band made livelier and more satisfying records a bit earlier in the 50s.

I love that controlled swing from the Edelhagen Band and they had great musicians too..

Shake Keane left England for Germany and the Edelhagen band in the mid-60s (attracted by the money, I think). His best work by far was recorded prior to this though and some of the best of it is on these Garrick Argo/Vocalion reissues. I wonder when they will get round to reissuing David Mack's 'New Directions' - also with Keane? A mixed bag in terms of success - but a unique piece of tonal work for sure and an interesting contrast to the George Russell sessions of that period.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...