• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Hum Dono' maybe? :excited:

In your dreams!

Really? Well, it would be nice - after all this time.

I would also like to see Joe Harriott's 'Movement' and 'High Spirits' out on CD but I guess both of these would be minor miracles too.

This is great news (I hope) but in additon to the Hum Dono I would be fervently wishing for the reissue of both Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe and A Symphony of Amaranths, as those two along with HD are perhaps the ones most urgently in need of a CD release.

Oh and surely Dankworth's What the Dickens! needs reissuing to complete the set?

'Hum Dono' maybe? :excited:

In your dreams!

Really? Well, it would be nice - after all this time.

I would also like to see Joe Harriott's 'Movement' and 'High Spirits' out on CD but I guess both of these would be minor miracles too.

Sorry, I don't know any more than anyone else about what Vocalion are going to release, but I'd be very surprised if 'Hum Dono' is included. But it would be nice if it were...... :rolleyes:

Edited by Head Man

I'll take a punt based on what they've been putting out over the past. Just about everything by Michael Garrick has been released - with the exception of 'Poetry and Jazz 250', so that must be a candidate, perhaps?

I'll bet that at least one of the Neil Ardleys must be a prime candidate too..

One of these betting sites such as Paddy Power ought to do a Vocalion new jazz issues sweepstakes. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

I'll take a punt based on what they've been putting out over the past. Just about everything by Michael Garrick has been released - with the exception of 'Poetry and Jazz 250', so that must be a candidate, perhaps?

One of these betting sites such as Paddy Power ought to do a Vocalion new jazz issues sweepstakes. :lol:

I think the Neil Ardleys are the likeliest....but I wouldn't put a bet on it!

I forgot about Poetry and Jazz 250 which is great and needs a reissue desperately, perhaps as a fitting MG tribute. Another one which always fetches high prices on eBay, when it rarely appears, is Guy Warren's Afro Jazz with the RCQ in attendance.

Edited by RogerF

• 1 month later...

I spoke to Vocalion today as their website says a new batch of jazz is upcoming this month. Unfortunately it is unlikely to be before June now...however, the impression I got from them was that this next batch will feature extremely important British jazz music(ians) - they wouldn't give me any other clues so I can only wait in eager anticipation.

I spoke to Vocalion today as their website says a new batch of jazz is upcoming this month. Unfortunately it is unlikely to be before June now...however, the impression I got from them was that this next batch will feature extremely important British jazz music(ians) - they wouldn't give me any other clues so I can only wait in eager anticipation.

Acker?

Acker?

Acker of The Yard?

Acker?

Acker of The Yard?

Kenny B?

Means no Hum Dono or Afro-Jazz. Amancio D'Silva and Guy Warren were never ever important.

Means no Hum Dono or Afro-Jazz. Amancio D'Silva and Guy Warren were never ever important.

But surely Joe Harriott was important by any standards? Trouble is I can't remember the exact phrase he used 'significant'? 'important'? 'major'? one of those. Unless it's going to be some more Ted Heath stuff and I don't think so, then who knows? It could be another major seam that's been mined. :shrug[1]:

That's very interesting Roger - the odds on Joe Harriott just improved I think (hope?). A Harriott Super-Bundle of 'Movement', 'High Spirits' and 'Hum Dono' perhaps?

On the other hand, it could be Geoff Love/Manuel & His Music of the Mountains..

And maybe I can suggest a left field/total wild-card candidate for this batch - David Mack's 'New Directions'.

Edited by sidewinder

Not the new batch but picked up a copy of the Vocalion Don Rendell "Jazz Six/Tenorama" today, courtesy of the good people in Germany at Bear Family. Another one that has eluded me for far too long ! :)

Incidentally, if anyone needs the NJO 'Western Reunion' the Vocalion site is showing that one now as pretty well sold out. Ditto the 'Will Power'. Both of those should return to circulation circa 2050.

Edited by sidewinder

Incidentally, if anyone needs the NJO 'Western Reunion' the Vocalion site is showing that one now as pretty well sold out. Ditto the 'Will Power'. Both of those should return to circulation circa 2050.

They are slowly...very slowly...digitalising things. So 2045 is a possibility for a download version.

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Roger on his MBE per today's Queens Birthday Honours List :party::tup - I assume that's you Roger and not a doppelganger :g . Nice article in Jazz Journal on 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' by the way.

Looks also like Vocalion have a 'new' Summer Sale - pretty well the stuff that was on offer at the last sale.

Edited by sidewinder

Congrats to Roger on his MBE per today's Queens Birthday Honours List :party::tup - I assume that's you Roger and not a doppelganger :g . Nice article in Jazz Journal on 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' by the way.

Looks also like Vocalion have a 'new' Summer Sale - pretty well the stuff that was on offer at the last sale.

Yes it is me - thank you :blush: - but for my "day job" not for jazz-related activities. The 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' article was written with some emotion because I really do feel that this particular gem (along with "Hum Dono") should have been reissued long ago. I just can't wait to discover what Vocalion will be reissuing in their next batch!

Edited by RogerF