Vocalion

crisp

For God and the Empire, then, Roger :)

Congrats!

Had to look up "Dejeuner sur l'herbe" (the album... knew about the painting and the film) - needless to say I'd love to hear it! Heard very little Ardley so far, alas.

Why thanks K.U. - Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe (the title track) is on "Impressed Vol 2" (the Gilles Peterson compilation album of British jazz). This is on Spotify and on iTunes (search under Gilles Peterson - all albums). Or it could still be available to buy on CD too. Worth every penny as there are some great tracks there. Once you've heard Le Dejeuner (the title track) I think you'll be 'impressed'.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A rare copy of the 'Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' came up for sale here in the UK earlier this week at about £200. Was snapped up pretty well immediately. Let's hope that Vocalion put it out on CD in this forthcoming new release batch (well - we can wish :rolleyes: ). Still looks to be no word from them on this.

For God and the Empire, then, Roger :)

Empire?

Oh - you mean the Falklands? :g

Once you've heard Le Dejeuner (the title track) I think you'll be 'impressed'.

Most definitely there's the greatest big band version of 'Naima' ever on this LP. Stunning !

Edited by sidewinder

Congrats to Roger on his MBE per today's Queens Birthday Honours List :party::tup - I assume that's you Roger and not a doppelganger :g . Nice article in Jazz Journal on 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' by the way.

Looks also like Vocalion have a 'new' Summer Sale - pretty well the stuff that was on offer at the last sale.

Yes it is me - thank you :blush: - but for my "day job" not for jazz-related activities. The 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' article was written with some emotion because I really do feel that this particular gem (along with "Hum Dono") should have been reissued long ago. I just can't wait to discover what Vocalion will be reissuing in their next batch!

Just picked this up. Many congratulations, Roger.

Congrats to Roger on his MBE per today's Queens Birthday Honours List :party::tup - I assume that's you Roger and not a doppelganger :g . Nice article in Jazz Journal on 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' by the way.

Looks also like Vocalion have a 'new' Summer Sale - pretty well the stuff that was on offer at the last sale.

Yes it is me - thank you :blush: - but for my "day job" not for jazz-related activities. The 'Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' article was written with some emotion because I really do feel that this particular gem (along with "Hum Dono") should have been reissued long ago. I just can't wait to discover what Vocalion will be reissuing in their next batch!

Just picked this up. Many congratulations, Roger.

Thanks Jazzjet! :blush:

• 1 month later...

The first of those jazz releases promised for May has appeared:

Max Middleton, Robert Ahwai, Dick Morrissey & Jim Mullen: Another Sleeper & Cape Wrath

There are these (jazz-related?) soul releases too:

Father's Children: Father's Children

Chain Reaction: Indebted to You

I expect the full list will be on the Vocalion homepage before long.

The first of those jazz releases promised for May has appeared:

Max Middleton, Robert Ahwai, Dick Morrissey & Jim Mullen: Another Sleeper & Cape Wrath

I don't know anything about "Another Sleeper" but "Cape Wrath" is a cracker. I got it as a CD-R directly from Dick Morrissey many years ago. No doubt the Vocalion release will sound better so I'll probably treat myself to an upgrade.

Edited by Head Man

It's not all. Heading on the home page now reads "soul and jazz" and includes these other releases:

Harold McNair: Harold McNair & Flute and Nut

The Joe Harriot Quintet: Movement & High Spirits

Johnny Dankworth: What the Dickens! & Off Duty!

Freddy Cole: One More Love Song & Right from the Heart

A smaller haul than last time, but choice material just the same.

It's not all. Heading on the home page now reads "soul and jazz" and includes these other releases:

Harold McNair: Harold McNair & Flute and Nut

The Joe Harriot Quintet: Movement & High Spirits

Johnny Dankworth: What the Dickens! & Off Duty!

Freddy Cole: One More Love Song & Right from the Heart

A smaller haul than last time, but choice material just the same.

OMG!! A new Joe Harriott twofer "Movement" (1964) & "High Spirits" (1965) - remastered from the original stereo tapes & claiming to be the first stereo issues of both these sessions - made my day

any thoughts or impressions of the McNair, especially "Flute and Nut"? I only know a reissue of "The Fence" which appears to have some tunes from "Harold McNair" tacked on as a bonus

Both these albums have been OOP for so long now that they've almost reached mythical status, so I guess for collectors they're a "must-have".

I've had vinyl rips of both for many years and whilst IMO neither of them are earth-shattering, they're both worth getting especially as they have been remastered (I think?).

Of the two "Harold McNair" is the jazzier, with him playing flute and tenor sax (on two tracks)in a quartet with Bill Le Sage, Spike Heatley and Tony Carr. "Flute and Nut" has him playing mainly "poppish" tunes backed by an orchestra arranged by John Cameron. Again he plays flute on all but two tracks.

As for the Joe Harriot doubler, now that's a different story..........an absolute MUST-HAVE!

Edited by Head Man

A lot of this stuff appears to be Lansdowne Jazz material. I wonder why they haven't got around to Ambrose Campbell's 'High life today', which features Shake Keane and several other British jazz musicians?

I'm interested in the Erskine Hawkins for £2.99. I've got a fair few of the tracks already, so cheap is good, as far as I'm concerned. Hawkins could really do with a Mosaic issue of his RCA Victor & Bluebird material but, until that great day arrives, I'll make do with dabs of this and that.

What's the most economical place to order from?

MG

The forthcoming Vocalions? Watch out for them appearing on hmv.com, which usually (though not always) has dirt-cheap preorder prices. Once the release date has passed they go up to RRP.

But if you mean the Hawkins -- it's £2.99 at Vocalion -- how cheap do you want it? :)

BTW, lots of back-catalogue Vocalions are just £6 at hmv.com at the moment, free shipping within the UK. Including many of last year's batch of jazz issues, eg, Dankworth, Skidmore, Maupin, Cameron, Rich/Clare/Bellson. Loads of classical, library and British dance bands too.

Full label search string by price order here.

The forthcoming Vocalions? Watch out for them appearing on hmv.com, which usually (though not always) has dirt-cheap preorder prices. Once the release date has passed they go up to RRP.

But if you mean the Hawkins -- it's £2.99 at Vocalion -- how cheap do you want it? :)

Yes, I mean the Hawkins; there was some issue mentioned in the thread about postal charges.

MG

Vocalion charge £1.75 to post one CD, plus 25p extra for each CD on top of that. So I'd recommend waiting until the next sale and buying it as part of a batch. You could buy it from Vocalion via their crazygreen8 marketplace outlet on Amazon, but the price difference is just 49p (£4.25 including postage here).

Falls off of chair...

My guess was right ! :excited:

'Movement' for sure was only issued on LP in mono and is mythical in any condition so this is a holy grail recovery.

As for the Joe Harriot doubler, now that's a different story..........an absolute MUST-HAVE!

Agreed - a no-brainer.

Will certainly pick up the 'Flute & Nut' too. Don't have that particular one on LP, it was originally released on RCA - as was 'Harold McNair'. The latter is pretty damn nice (came out twice on LP, the latter issue on B&G).

Edited by sidewinder

Vocalion charge £1.75 to post one CD, plus 25p extra for each CD on top of that. So I'd recommend waiting until the next sale and buying it as part of a batch. You could buy it from Vocalion via their crazygreen8 marketplace outlet on Amazon, but the price difference is just 49p (£4.25 including postage here).

There's nothing else there that I want, actually, unless they issue the Ambrose Campbell, so I'll go for Amazon. Thanks.

MG

PS Hey! How come the regular Amazon price is £17-77?

MG

PS Hey! How come the regular Amazon price is £17-77?

No idea. Amazon's own prices on Vocalions are often on that mad scale, or they don't stock them at all. Be careful you order through crazygreen8 and not Amazon!

Falls off of chair...

My guess was right ! :excited:

Even spookier, they also just released a new Manuel and his Music of the Mountains.

A Harriott Super-Bundle of 'Movement', 'High Spirits' and 'Hum Dono' perhaps?

On the other hand, it could be Geoff Love/Manuel & His Music of the Mountains..

It's too late to predict Team GB's results in the Olympics unfortunately. Any tips on this week's lottery numbers?

:lol:

My order for 'Manuel & His Music of the Mountains' has just gone in !

Where is the audience for this? There is tons of this sort of the stuff on the Vocalion site.

We were told at the time that this was ephemeral music with no staying power; but it still seems to be popular.

Hidden away across England there must be rooms like this where Manuel (Que?) remains supreme:

4779977997_d468390364.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending