crisp

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is the audience for this?

The Grey £. Re-living the 1960s and 70s - all across the South Coast from Bognor to Sidmouth !

Well, the whole of Dutton Vocalion is very clearly after the grey pound.

Suspect they're too busy dosey doeing in Sidmouth to have time for Manuel. I'd have thought Paignton was his perfect home.

:lol:

My order for 'Manuel & His Music of the Mountains' has just gone in !

Where is the audience for this? There is tons of this sort of the stuff on the Vocalion site.

We were told at the time that this was ephemeral music with no staying power; but it still seems to be popular.

Hidden away across England there must be rooms like this where Manuel (Que?) remains supreme:

4779977997_d468390364.jpg

How did a picture of my living room end up here?

Where is the audience for this? There is tons of this sort of the stuff on the Vocalion site.

We were told at the time that this was ephemeral music with no staying power; but it still seems to be popular.

Hidden away across England there must be rooms like this where Manuel (Que?) remains supreme:

Prepare to be shocked but I buy rather a lot of this stuff. I got into music as a child partly from being interested in the so-called Great American Songbook, which branches off into jazz, vocals and light orchestral music. Plus I was at the right age for the lounge/easy listening revival of the Nineties.

I'm not sure why others buy this music, but it seems to be popular, and I'm glad. Radio 3 plays quite a bit of light music, there have been Proms devoted to it and bandleaders like John Wilson who recreate historic orchestrations have a huge following.

All sorts of music was once disparaged as ephemeral -- even jazz -- but I can't think of any that doesn't now have a following of some sort -- and that's good.

That's not my living room btw -- all that shagpile would be a Mecca for moths in London.

Prepare to be shocked but I buy rather a lot of this stuff. I got into music as a child partly from being interested in the so-called Great American Songbook, which branches off into jazz, vocals and light orchestral music. Plus I was at the right age for the lounge/easy listening revival of the Nineties.

I'm not sure why others buy this music, but it seems to be popular, and I'm glad. Radio 3 plays quite a bit of light music, there have been Proms devoted to it and bandleaders like John Wilson who recreate historic orchestrations have a huge following.

All sorts of music was once disparaged as ephemeral -- even jazz -- but I can't think of any that doesn't now have a following of some sort -- and that's good.

That's not my living room btw -- all that shagpile would be a Mecca for moths in London.

Don't worry - I love third division English cowpat composers (also well documented by Dutton-Vocalion). I also enjoy those 'Light Music' discs full of things like 'Sailing By' and 'Coronation Scot'; they sit quite happily alongside Evan Parker and Birtwistle. Not to mention discs of morris dancing music! And I won't mention the Moody Blues records...

Manuel (and James Last!) are a step too far for me, but all power to your inclusiveness. We get quite enough of the 'I'm too discriminating to listen to X/Y/Z.'

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I kind of suspect working men's clubs go for this a bit. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to have lunch in the Tonyrefail Working Men's Club, or the Coed Ely Miners' Institute someday and let you know what the background music was.

MG

Which reminds me, having a cuppa the other day at Hayes Island Snack Bar, opposite St David's Hall, I saw that Marty Wilde, John Leyton and Eden Kane (how on earth can any one hit wonder remain memorable after fifty years?) are touring. And there's another package with some old early sixties pop bands coming to Cardiff, too. And a Motown tribute tour - the poster had all the names of these dead people all over it.

Yes, there's plenty of grey money about.

MG

I kind of suspect working men's clubs go for this a bit. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to have lunch in the Tonyrefail Working Men's Club, or the Coed Ely Miners' Institute someday and let you know what the background music was.

MG

That would be 'Big Ben's Banjo Band' from the Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club. Don't know if Vocalion 'do' them. :smirk:

How did a picture of my living room end up here?

Take away the shag pile and add a record deck and it could pass as my lounge too :lol:

Marty Wilde, John Leyton and Eden Kane (how on earth can any one hit wonder remain memorable after fifty years?) are touring. And there's another package with some old early sixties pop bands coming to Cardiff, too. And a Motown tribute tour - the poster had all the names of these dead people all over it.

Yes, there's plenty of grey money about.

See, I would think that is where grey money would be spent, on the Fifties and Sixties rock'n'roll and soul of their youth, not easy listening or light music, which surely teenagers would have scorned at the time. I'm only 43, and not yet grey, and I suspect it's actually my generation who are buying Vocalion schmaltz, even though it may have been old people who bought it at the time.

I recently attended a concert by the KPM All-Stars, library music composers who wrote themes such as Grandstand. The latter brought the house down and pretty much everyone in the audience was my age.

There's a repeat of a documentary, The Joy of Easy Listening, tomorrow night on BBC4 -- it's flawed (they should have made it in the Nineties during the easy revival when everyone mentioned was still alive), but if you can spare the time it's worth watching for an insight into its appeal among my generation.

The new titles are now on HMV at the preorder prices of £6 for single CDs and £9 for doubles. Search string here.

BTW I just had some very good customer service from HMV. The new Vocalions went up yesterday at rrp, so I queried it (rather crossly as this has happened before). HMV replied today to say they were checking the release dates and immediately the prices were reduced.

The new titles are now on HMV at the preorder prices of £6 for single CDs and £9 for doubles. Search string here.

BTW I just had some very good customer service from HMV. The new Vocalions went up yesterday at rrp, so I queried it (rather crossly as this has happened before). HMV replied today to say they were checking the release dates and immediately the prices were reduced.

Good man ! :tup

My order will go in with HMV forthwith. They have some of the previous batch at £6 as well (should I go for a copy of the Steve Race? :unsure: )

They have some of the previous batch at £6 as well (should I go for a copy of the Steve Race? :unsure: )

The Steve Race is fun but it's more a pop album with jazz elements than a jazz album. On the other hand, where else could you hear Tubby Hayes soloing on Z Cars?

The Steve Race is fun but it's more a pop album with jazz elements than a jazz album.

Amazing ...

Seeing how Steve Race sems to have made a point of relentlessly blasting ANYTHING that even remotely reeked of rock'n'roll, that youthful version of 50s pop that reared its head even in the UK in the mid-50s, in his journalistic activities (cf. what Pete Frame has to say about this in his excellent book "The Restless Generation") he sure must have undergone some changes himself. ;)

Amazing ...

Seeing how Steve Race sems to have made a point of relentlessly blasting ANYTHING that even remotely reeked of rock'n'roll, that youthful version of 50s pop that reared its head even in the UK in the mid-50s, in his journalistic activities (cf. what Pete Frame has to say about this in his excellent book "The Restless Generation") he sure must have undergone some changes himself. ;)

I remember seeing Steve Race on the TV quite a bit - doing his 'My Music' quiz show. Concentrated on classical though.

His intros to the 1980s repeats of 'Jazz 625' were worth catching.

'Z Cars'. Now there's a blast from the past. :D

Just to say that my batch of new releases from Vocalion arrived this morning and that the Joe Harriott "two-fer" is terrific.

I've always enjoyed "Movement" but listening to the new stereo remaster makes it seem like a completely new recording. If anyone has ever wondered what made Joe Harriot so special, then listening to this will answer that question.

I'd not heard "High Spirits" before but again it's a wonderful recording with tunes from the musical of the same name, arranged by Joe's pianist, Pat Smythe. Again it's very well remastered using the original stereo masters.

I wonder whether Vocalion has access to the masters of any other forgotten British treasures?

I've never heard 'Movement' (and the only LPs of it I've seen were less than pristine copies in mono going for the best part of £1k !) Not heard 'High Spirits' either - in fact never, ever seen a copy of it.

My CD (and the McNair) is on order from the boys at HMV. Both of these are important releases. :)

My guess is that they have access to the material held by Universal - which ponders the question, why no Neil Ardley 'Dejeuner', Phil Seamen 'Live', Colin Bates 'Brew' etc?

Edited by sidewinder

Just to say that my batch of new releases from Vocalion arrived this morning and that the Joe Harriott "two-fer" is terrific.

I've always enjoyed "Movement" but listening to the new stereo remaster makes it seem like a completely new recording. If anyone has ever wondered what made Joe Harriot so special, then listening to this will answer that question.

I'd not heard "High Spirits" before but again it's a wonderful recording with tunes from the musical of the same name, arranged by Joe's pianist, Pat Smythe. Again it's very well remastered using the original stereo masters.

I wonder whether Vocalion has access to the masters of any other forgotten British treasures?

cannot wait to hear these

Probably lots. Vocalion has had a long relationship with Universal and has recently resumed its relationship with EMI. The label has also licensed the odd Sony release as well as library recordings.

Did you order at HMV? I'm still waiting for mine, although they were posted last week.

I order them via Vocalion directly too. Have the Dankworth and Harriott now and these are great - the Dankworth "Off Duty" is a bit different but the "What the Dickens!" is a classic. Anyone know if the McNair is actually in stock yet?

Well, my copy of the Harold McNair came with the Joe Harriott so I guess it's in stock. Unless they only pressed one copy, of course.