Vocalion

crisp

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the Annie Ross arrived today with the Maupin, Featherstonehaugh and Rendell's 'Playtime'. 

The Ross is more cabaret than jazz but it's very enjoyable. Recorded with studio audience ( or overdubbed). Plenty of songs are just played for laughs 'I've got it hidden' and 'Cat food' for example. There's an underlying light funk feel to plenty of the songs and some excellently cheesy electric piano.

Excellent value for 99 pence!

6 hours ago, Clunky said:

The Ross is more cabaret than jazz but it's very enjoyable. Recorded with studio audience ( or overdubbed). Plenty of songs are just played for laughs 'I've got it hidden' and 'Cat food' for example. There's an underlying light funk feel to plenty of the songs and some excellently cheesy electric piano.

Excellent value for 99 pence!

My thoughts exactly!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It took me damn near all 21 to get these, but here ya' go:

John Dankworth
THE ZODIAC VARIATIONS & THE $1,000,000 COLLECTION

Excellent writing and solos to match. I am not a Dankworth fan at all, but these are good records.

Benny Goodman
Benny Goodman in Moscow

Hey, tour was a nightmare, record's a dream.

Robert Farnon
SYMPHONY NO.2 & CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER SUITE

Farnon!

Jackie Gleason & His Orchestra
THE TORCH WITH THE BLUE FLAME

Where there would usually be Bobby Hackett, here there is Lawrence Brown showing that Johnyyu Hodges wasn't the only one who could make a record like this and have it work for everybody. Everybody.

Harry Carney/Harold Ashby & Paul Gonsalves
Rock Me Gently & Two from Duke

They all came to play.

Joe Harriott & Amancio D'Silva
Hum Dono

No bullshit music.

I'd definitely recommend Michael Garrick's Cold Mountain. On sale for £2.99. For this listener, that's a no-brainer. 

Unfortunately, my other favorite Garrick records -- The Heart Is a Lotus and Troppo -- are not on sale. But they're superb records!  If you've ever considered digging into his discography...

I'm not quite as keen on Garrick's Home Stretch Blues and Mr. Smith's Apocalypse. But they are on sale.

I saw all of those, but other than the Farnon...a person would have to have pretty specialized tastes to go for those. The Mancini Latin things, yeah ok, those too, maybe. Past that, you're getting into the specialized area of people who spent high school on the Easy Listening stations rather than the album rock stations, and that's maybe me, you, and who else? :g

Me else! But in the UK there were no easy listening stations when I grew up. I heard this sort of music in abundance on TV soundtracks. It was probably my first brush with anything related to jazz.

Also recommended:

WHAT A CARRY ON! Theme music from the classic British film series by Eric Rogers & Bruce Montgomery