The first Jazz LP you ever bought?

mikeweil

Do you remember the first jazz LP you ever bought, or two, or three, and perhaps when?

My first:

a mono copy of the Modern Jazz Quartet's European Concert, Vol. 1

dtto. mono of Do The Bossa Nova With Herbie Mann

some European issue of Cannonball's Bossa Nova

Must have been between 1970 and 1972.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Autumn 1952.

First record was a Decca 10-incher of Louis Armstrong and his All Stars. The album included 'New Orleans Function'. Did not realize at the time I'ld still been hooked bad on that music more than half a century later.

Second record was a Count Basie 12-incher will all the great Decca sides. Which is when I caught the Prez fever from which I have not recovered yet.

After skimming a reference book in a store I went around the corner to choose something I recognised in the 'Modern'/ 'Avant Garde' genre.

I found Ornette's 'Something Else'. Bitten, a few days later I was in my local secondhand store (mainly rock/indie due to the local student population) and there I found 'Out to Lunch' by Dolphy.

At the time, and I've heard this said quite recently, I didn't even realise this was regarded as a demanding record.

Spring, 2003 - Someone posts a link for a cheap buy-it-now auction for Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" on eBay. Vibes, so excited that he's going to pee his pants, clicks on the link and wins the auction. A few days later, a god damned LP shows up. I don't have a turntable and don't plan buying one. Anyone want to buy a sealed Japanese pressing of this album? :rolleyes:

1971, Mahavishnu Orchestra, 'The Inner Mounting Flame'. This led to buying Miles' 'LIve/Evil' soon after because McLaughlin was on it. Over thirty years later and I still dig Miles and now so many other great players that I discovered through Miles and his sidemen(& their sidemen).

First jazz album I HAD was a second generation dub of the "Stan Getz & Bill Evans" album on Verve, which I got off a friend. The first jazz album I PURCHASED was a cassette copy of "My Favorite Things," purchased at Tower Records on the corner of Newbury and Mass. Ave. in Boston during the spring of 1992.

With my own money at the Giant Tiger. Boy they had a great lp section right over by the stretch pants. Not really jazz but a first.-

e27757iqxa6.jpg

The first jazz album, before it was "smoov' jazz".-

e403503wrwh.jpg

...and Alexander, there is a lot of dough out of my pocket at the same time in that old Tower Records (now Virgin) you speak of.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Dave Brubeck Quartet on Crown.

Right on, Crown Records. My first jazz LP was a Crown. It was presumably, Stan Getz, whom, as a kid sax-player, I had at least heard of. Alas, I never found another Getz record that I liked as much.

Then, revelation.

Turns out it was actually Wardell Gray on that record. And I have ever since been a Gray-hound.

The first jazz CD I bought was John Coltrane GIANT STEPS. It was also the first jazz I listened to and liked. A little while later Horace Silver's SONG FOR MY FATHER cemented the deal--I was officially hooked. That was around 1992.

Little did I know at the time just how much great jazz there is out there, more than there are hours of life to live...

Dave Brubeck Quartet on Crown.

Right on, Crown Records. My first jazz LP was a Crown. It was presumably, Stan Getz, whom, as a kid sax-player, I had at least heard of. Alas, I never found another Getz record that I liked as much.

Then, revelation.

Turns out it was actually Wardell Gray on that record. And I have ever since been a Gray-hound.

Was it the one that had a picture of Getz obviously taken from a TV screen? I got that one too. There was a Firestone store in my hometown that sold records, and Crown was a staple of their selection, although that's alos where I got my Woody Herman HEAVY EXPOSURE Lp. I'd like to know who the jobber was who handled that account!

I only started buying in the CD era, my first album was supposed to be Out to Lunch, but the shop didn't have it so I got Out There. I bought Out to Lunch a little later.

couw - I was curious.... what'd you mean your first album was "supposed" to be Out to Lunch? You mean you were planning on buying it on the recommendation of a friend, or something much more nefarious?

Les McCann & Eddie Harris: Swiss Movement

That was probably the first one I heard, but it belonged to a friend's older brother, who also had:

e651181ie43.jpg

I'm not sure it was my first, but I was inspired to buy this:

f80251c6jlp.jpg

The one that really got me started, though (about five years later) was:

e920214rhvi.jpg

When the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall concert appeared on the relatively-new format of LP, I bought it. Also, Armstrong Plays Handy (around 1955).

Ditto on Goodman. Then Ambassador Satch and Brubeck's Red, Hot and Cool. Joined Columbia Record club's jazz division and got within one year (I think) KOB, Ellington Indigos, Hampton's Silver Vibes, and JJ Johnson Blue Trombone. Also got Ellington/Strayhorn Nutcracker. A very good year.

Was it the one that had a picture of Getz obviously taken from a TV screen? I got that one too. There was a Firestone store in my hometown that sold records, and Crown was a staple of their selection, although that's alos where I got my Woody Herman HEAVY EXPOSURE Lp. I'd like to know who the jobber was who handled that account!

Yep, that's the one. I picked up my copy of Heavy Exposure (and Jazz Hoot) not long after. Them's what we refers to as "my formative years".