The first Jazz LP you ever bought?

mikeweil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1972, 16years old, 'The Inner Mounting Flame' Mahavishnu Orchestra. It totally twisted my head around. Serendipitously, I was in a record store a few months later and noticed that McLaughlin was on a Miles album(Live/Evil). That lead to more Miles, Zawinul, Weather Report, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Jack DeJohnette, and 32 years later I still love that album and I still love jazz.

• 8 years later...

My first Jazz CD was Steve Coleman and Five Elements - Curves of Life, not exactly an ideal choice. There was a review published in Oor, a Dutch rock magazine, stating that this was a title that might win curious listeners over for the genre. It was all a bit too much for me. A couple of years later I bought three Miles Davis CDs (Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Nefertiti) and got into Miles' second great quintet's music. That was when I started collecting, bought a Penguin guide, and stopped buying rock CDs.

It was a long time ago now but I can remember a 10" by Humphrey Lyttleton That was probably the first lp. In the effort to discover more, other early purchases were Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall concert and Dave Brubeck's "Jazz Goes To Junior College".

Well, John, mine was a 10" "Humph", too: Jazz at the Royal Festival Hall, bought in 1957:

Humphrey+Lyttelton+-+Jazz+At+The+Royal+F

Question - what's a jazz album?

Is it this?

Original+Soundtrack+-+The+Five+Pennies+-

Or these?

the-modern-jazz-quartet-the-golden-strik

modernjazzq_modernjaz_103b.jpg

The Five Pennies was my 3rd LP, (my Dad had taken me to see the film, which was just out) the MJQ LPs my 7th & 8th (bought in the same transaction, because they were on Atlantic, my favourite R&B label).

Did I know what I was doing, on either occasion? Well, I still don't :g

MG

Before I "listened to jazz" I owned a few LPs: A Love Supreme, Black Saint & The Sinner Lady, Ornette!, Where is Brooklyn?, New Grass, Mingus^5, This is Our Music, etc. When I made a concerted decision to really listen to jazz, I bought Brilliant Corners and then these all at once: Out To Lunch!, Unit Structures, Ascension. Jumped off the deep end, I suppose.

The first jazz album I bought was Bix Beiderbecke and the Chicago Cornets, a Milestone two-fer. It was an odd choice for a 15-year-old who had been into the Grateful Dead, but I had read Ralph Berton's Remembering Bix, and was fascinated and curious. I still remember my first spin of the record - I didn't get anything out of the first track, "Fidgety Feet," but as soon as Bix went into his solo on the second track, "Jazz Me Blues," I got it. I could tell that he was something out of the ordinary from that solo.

I am going to ignore the Acker Bilk and Chris Barber records :-)

41222438S1L.jpg

It was actually the English version that only had 5 of the regular 7 tracks but also included one of the tracks from Jazz Giants 56 (why did they do that?). I later bought the missing 2 tracks on an EP.

October 1961, I still have it. I was 14.

I've thought long and hard about this but for the life of it can't remember EXACTLY which was the FIRST jazz record I ever BOUGHT.

Before buying records I had been listening to both early jazz ("classic jazz") from the 20s and to swing for quite a few months on the radio but going through my racks (I still have all the records I bought, except a scant handful) I am pretty sure I approached the subject chronologically and the first JAZZ record I ever bought very likely was that ODJB twofer on French RCA that collected all their early Victor recordings as well as a few 30s remakes.

Among the other very early purchases around the same time (bought within a scant few months in 1975 when I was 15) were a 2-LP set (on the French Monkey label) featuring the California Ramblers, another Monkey 2-LP set with early Fats Waller piano roll solos, an LP of James P. Johnson piano solos, the (oft-reissued) set of the 1939 recordings by Muggsy Spanier's Ragtime band, but also a "Best Of" compilation of Duke Ellington (featuring 1929 to 1941 tracks - I remember buying this one because it included "Take The A Train" which IIRC was the theme song of the "Fitch Bandwagon" radio show I used to listen to on AFN at that time) as well as a 2-LP set with the classic Artie Shaw Victor recordings of the late 30s and early 40s.

Bought my first jazz album on vinyl as a teenager. I was working at a record and stereo store in Banff, Alberta (Nexus Sound), and we got a shipment of many of those Pathe Marconi Blue Note albums. I opened the box, and saw perhaps the most badass record cover ever (and I was into punk and hardcore at the time, so had seen many a badass cover)...

Sonny Rollins, Vol. 2. Had to buy it on the spot. That album changed my life. Thank you Sonny!!!

b0605.jpg

I really dug the drumming on that album, so the next day I bought Indestructible!

1320912353_u75i6lm2o7oa.jpg

The trumpet knocked me out, and the only album we had in the store that had Lee Morgan on it was Evolution... so I bought it. Holy shit, what a game-changer that was!

51X%2BHqb4hZL.jpg

The vibes on that album was something else, but the only album in the store that had Hutch on it was Out To Lunch... so the next week I bought that too.

Eric+Dolphy+-+Out+To+Lunch+-+%27b%27+lab

And that was it. I was hooked for life. I have learned more about this music than I could have ever imagined from the wisdom of y'all on this board (and the old BNBB before that)... spent far more $$$ than I would have ever expected, too!

Great thread!

In 1973 (age 15) on advice from my high school music teacher: Horace Silver/Blowing the Blues Away. Followed by Four and More and a Coltrane double-LP reissue The Atlantic Years. Over the next couple of years:

Return to Forever: Light as a Feather, Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy

Billy Cobham: Spectrum, Crosswinds

Mahavishnu: Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire

Herbie Hancock: Headhunters, Thrust

Weather Report: Mysterious Traveler

Sun Ra: Jazz in Silhouette

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis: With Joe Williams, Central Park North, Consummation, New Life

Trane: Ascension

McCoy: Sama Layuca, Trident, Echoes of a Friend

Miles: Jack Johnson

Elvin: Genesis

Freddie Hubbard: Straight Life

Joe Farrell: Moon Germs

Ahmad Jamal: Impulse Years reissue