mp3 bargains

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon has now made available for purchase four more sets in the Capitol Vaults Jazz Series.

Capitol Vaults Jazz Series

The sets now available include:

Dexter Gordon: $9.49

Bennie Green: $14.84

Bobby Hackett: $74.18

Andrew Hill: $13.55

Bobby Hutcherson: $13.55

Johnny Mercer: (available July 26th)

Art Pepper: $18.06

Don Pullen: $9.49

Dizzy Reece: $13.55

Bud Shank & Bob Cooper: $20.77

I'm still confused about these Capitol Vault sets. Are they exactly the same tracks as the Mosaics except without the great liners and (obviously) packaging?

And what about Mosaic's remastering? Do these sets have that or did they just dump the original masters here?

Overall, it seems unfair to Mosaic for Capitol to offer these at a fraction of the price. I obviously have no insight into the contractual arrangements for this stuff, but I feel bad for Michael & Co.

I'm still confused about these Capitol Vault sets. Are they exactly the same tracks as the Mosaics except without the great liners and (obviously) packaging?

And what about Mosaic's remastering? Do these sets have that or did they just dump the original masters here?

Overall, it seems unfair to Mosaic for Capitol to offer these at a fraction of the price. I obviously have no insight into the contractual arrangements for this stuff, but I feel bad for Michael & Co.

With the exception of the Hill and Hackett sets, these recordings are no longer available from Mosaic. Interestingly, the Hackett download is not a "fraction of the price", but just a few dollars cheaper. Given the lack of packaging and printed info, and the lower sound quality, I think these downloads are "reasonably" priced, and Mosaic isn't losing a dime.

With the exception of the Hill and Hackett sets, these recordings are no longer available from Mosaic. Interestingly, the Hackett download is not a "fraction of the price", but just a few dollars cheaper. Given the lack of packaging and printed info, and the lower sound quality, I think these downloads are "reasonably" priced, and Mosaic isn't losing a dime.

Bobby Hutcherson is still available, too.

Good points, though.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of good ECM values on eMusic. For example, I did a search on Gary Peacock:

300x300.jpg

Tales of Another - $2.94

300x300.jpg

December Poems - $2.94

300x300.jpg

Shift In The Wind - $3.43

Buyer beware with ECM albums on emusic. Now, tracks that are longer than seven minutes (before it was ten) are now considered album only, and the album pricing on ECMs are now $7.79. For instance, that December Poems ain't $2.94 anymore; it jumped up to $7.79.

-----------------------------------------------

Here's a nice deal on a nice album...

2548307397-1.jpg

Cuong Vu - "It's Mostly Residual"

NYOP (name your own price) on his Bandcamp page.

Bandcamp page

Stomu Takeishi - bass

Ted Poor - drums

Cuong Vu - trumpet/writing

Guest - Bill Frisell - guitar

Great album.

Edited by Chicago Expat

Buyer beware with ECM albums on emusic. Now, tracks that are longer than seven minutes (before it was ten) are now considered album only, and the album pricing on ECMs are now $7.79. For instance, that December Poems ain't $2.94 anymore; it jumped up to $7.79.

The price increase on ECM titles isn't confined to eMusic. For example, December Poems is now $9.49 on Amazon.

The price increase on ECM titles isn't confined to eMusic. For example, December Poems is now $9.49 on Amazon.

Apparently the U.S. downgrade is making those Amazon gift cards a riskier proposition, and Manfred decided to jazz up the price on those albums.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The iTunes store and Amazon mp3 now have some more Mosaic titles:

Dinah Washington - The Complete Roulette Collection, $44.99 ($37.09 on Amazon)

Stanley Turrentine - Blue Note Quintet/Sextet Studio Sessions, $17.99 ($16.06 on Amazon)

Elvin Jones - Capitol Vaults Jazz Series, $29.99 ($27.09 on Amazon)

Bobby Hutcherson - Capitol Vaults Jazz Series, $14.99 ($13.55 on Amazon)

John Patton - Capitol Vaults Jazz Series, $14.99 ($12.99 on Amazon)

The Turrentine's a great value, and fine music.

• 3 weeks later...