Scarlatti sonatas recommendations?

T.D.

Can anyone recommend recordings of D. Scarlatti keyboard sonatas? I'd prefer piano recordings, but would consider harpsichord. Interested in a few discs, not in mega "complete" collections. I know there are quite a few excellent recordings out there, currently have about a half CD performed by Michelangeli. My "no-brainer" instinct is to start with Horowitz; also considering Zacharias, Tipo, more ABM; not sure Pletnev would be my cup of tea. Thanks.

I think the Spanish tinge comes through best on harpsichord, but if you prefer piano, try German pianist Christian Zacharias - he studied the musician and his cultural background the most. I once saw a German TV documentary on his Scarlatti playing - his ideas were brilliant. There is a box with three CDs he made over the years. Don't know if is available in the US. The first CD pictured is a double. The second is a newer recording. Horowitz sounds flat in comparison - he abuses Scarlatti to display his technical facility, but Zacharias really gets deep inside the music.

51fZpvEOU7L._SS400_.jpg

61KhZtF9qtL._SS400_.jpg

On harpsichord, either Pierre Hantai, who made four discs over the years - all are brilliant, but the first is recommended for sheer exuberance - the gun shots in the hunting sonata are gorgeous and impossible to play like this on a piano:

51RuuXwZ1zL._SS500_.jpg

... or Skip Sempé - he plays the arpeggios so meticulously you think it's a guitar ...

417McHrRoqL._SS400_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Clara Haskil's piano interpretations are legendary. As far as I know they're unfortunately only available in a big Haskil 17CD-box with all her work for Philips, Westminster, Decca and Deutsche Grammophon (DG), The Clara Haskil Edition.

decca4782541.jpg

These sonatas are included:

K193 in E flat major

K87 in B minor

K386 in F minor

K247 in C sharp minor

K2 in G major

K132 in C major

K35 in G minor

K193 in E flat major

K386 in F minor

K519 in F minor

K322 in A major

K87 in B minor

K515 in C major

K437 in F major

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks.

I have a CD with Hantai's Goldberg Variations, so would be inclined to look there for harpsichord.

Have been enjoying lots of Zacharias's EMI recordings: Mozart sonatas (excellent), Mozart piano cti (very good, perhaps a touch "middle of the road", which I don't mind) and Schubert sonatas (excellent as far as I can tell, though I'm still getting used to Schubert). He's my first inclination; I'm only hesitating for reasons of "diversification"...

Interesting re. Haskil. I'm already considering her set for the CDs with Grumiaux playing Beethoven and Mozart violin sonatas (I already own one of the two Mozart discs), but the 17 disc volume has so far scared me away.

Interesting re. Haskil. I'm already considering her set for the CDs with Grumiaux playing Beethoven and Mozart violin sonatas (I already own one of the two Mozart discs), but the 17 disc volume has so far scared me away.

Same here, the more so since it has many concerti with mediocre (to put it mildly) accompaniment - only the concerti with Fricsay are worthwhile as far as the accompaniment is concerned. Unfortunately the big box is the only way to get all her Scarlatti sonatas on CD. I have the earlier, separate Haskil chamber music and solo piano sets, and the latter has only 3 Scarlatti sonatas.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'll second the Pogorelich recommendation. The common criticism of Pogorelich is that his playing is too idiosyncratic, but I think every listener should decide for themself. I was dubious until I heard the CD all the way through, and I was quickly a convert. There's something uniquely dramatic, even mysterious, about Pogorelich's take on Scarlatti, but it never ventures into histrionics or bombast. Couple this CD with Haskil's edition, and you have a lot to listen to.

The 17 CD Haskil edition is currently selling for just over $44 at Amazon. Pretty good price for that much music. I own the previous 7 CD edition, and it's brilliant.

Any recommendations for the Naxos recordings (they have a running project of recording the complete set of Scarlatti sonatas - 25 CDs, each by different pianist, and it is half way through)?

I'm not a Naxos enthusiast (so shoot me... :blush: ), but Konstantin Scherbakov's Naxos recording of Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues was excellent, so I'd expect his volume to merit hearing.

Any recommendations for the Naxos recordings (they have a running project of recording the complete set of Scarlatti sonatas - 25 CDs, each by different pianist, and it is half way through)?

I'm not a Naxos enthusiast (so shoot me... :blush: ), but Konstantin Scherbakov's Naxos recording of Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues was excellent, so I'd expect his volume to merit hearing.

Listened to samples, and liked Vol. 3 (Jeno Jando) and Vol. 5 (Benjamin Frith). These should do for now, as far a piano is concerned. Now, to harpsichord!

I just ordered one CD of Maria Tipo playing Scarlatti, and one of Clara Haskil playing Mozart Schubert and Scarlatti, both on piano. Will pass on opinions, maybe not for a few weeks (Berkshire isn't real fast). The Zacharias set isn't available cheaply, except used from European Amazon sellers, and I'm not sure about shipping to USA. I listened to Pogorelich samples (granted that's not totally reliable) and wasn't blown away, though I do want to hear him eventually.

[Added] Berkshire made their fastest-ever delivery, faster than Amazon (I live just over 100 mi. away, but delivery can be up to 4 weeks). So far have been listening to the Haskil CD of Scarlatti and Schubert on Archipel:

2109TQFBZWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Excellent! Sound quality is not good, but is less bothersome on the Scarlatti sonatas than on D.960 (which has much greater dynamic range, more distortion). Have removed the big (17-CD) Haskil box from consideration: if I order any EMI mega-box it'll be David Oistrakh (a lot less duplication of music I already have on recording).

Can't yet comment on Maria Tipo, though I enjoy the Bach I've listened to so far.

Edited by T.D.

• 4 weeks later...

T.D., sorry to say, Scarlatti on piano is mostly dogshit... There are a few exceptions but it'd be like transcribing all Red Allen/Jabbo Smith/Frankie Newton/Fats Navarro/Dizzy/Miles/Booker Little music for fucking TUBA or ukelele... you can do it, sure, but why?!

Sorry to say Clara Haskil's Scarlatti like her Mozart is for people who don't really like-- or yet know-- the truth about those composers. This is the kind of shit that gave classical music a bad name in the first place. In a similar vein, Tureck's Bach still sucks too and the only reason I won't say worse about Angela Hewitt is her popularity helps subsidize other far more interesting & inspired Hyperion records.

Mikhail Pletnev is by far the greatest Scarlatti pianist; Zacharias (both EMI & MDG) is very good but lacks Pletnev's mad genius. I think Horowitz is better than Mike allows but it's like his Scriabin too, almost sui generis.

on harpsichord, king of instruments, I'll plump for

* Scott Ross (the big box is worth it, yes)

* Andreas Staier

* Pierre Hantai

* Ralph Kirkpatrick (underrated)

* Christophe Rousset

* Skip Sempe (American!)

* Blandine Verlet

* Wanda Landowska (despite the fake harpsichord)

AVOID Gustav Leonhardt except as example of 'the Leonhardt school'

You need a bit of exhibitionism to play Scarlatti really well, and that's the one trait Leonhardt certainly does not display.

I think Hantai and Sempé are the kings - Staier is excellent but a trifle too controlled for my taste.

As far as modern piano is concerned, I agree, but there is a recording on a copy of an early Cristofori fortepiano that is great, by ALINE ZYLBERAJCH on the Ambronay label.

$(KGrHqUOKnQE3dH)vYufBO!fqGFmZg~~0_1.JPG

T.D., sorry to say, Scarlatti on piano is mostly dogshit... There are a few exceptions but it'd be like transcribing all Red Allen/Jabbo Smith/Frankie Newton/Fats Navarro/Dizzy/Miles/Booker Little music for fucking TUBA or ukelele... you can do it, sure, but why?!

It's one instrument that doesn't sound right for Baroque music. The modern piano didn't exist at that time.

You all are probably objectively correct about Scarlatti harpsichord. It's just my personal taste, which is doubtless bad, but I have trouble listening to solo harpsichord music for extended periods of time (as a continuo instrument it doesn't bug me so much).

After listening to Haskil and Tipo, I don't think either is the last word on piano. Will try Zacharias and maybe Pletnev, but CD purchasing is on hiatus for a while...

No one remembers Fernando Valenti?

And in much better sound:

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Keyboard/PAKM010.php

Pristine Audio and better sound? You're kidding, right? Pristine Audio's Andrew Rose manipulates recordings taken from sources like MP3 (he has said that the source is of no importance!) and sells them as the ultimate in remastering on his public domain label, as was discussed on other fora some time ago. To my ears his "efforts" sound horrible.

Edited by J.A.W.

Hans, I'm sure you're right about Pristine Audio. But I'm listening to both performances on YouTube (so there's that), plus all I'm saying is that this set of pieces that Rose worked on sounds much better to me than the first clip I linked to.

In any case, I've got lot of Valenti's Scarlatti on the original Westminster LPs. Maybe Rose would like to borrow them. :crazy:

Hans, I'm sure you're right about Pristine Audio. But I'm listening to both performances on YouTube (so there's that), plus all I'm saying is that this set of pieces that Rose worked on sounds much better to me than the first clip I linked to.

In any case, I've got lot of Valenti's Scarlatti on the original Westminster LPs. Maybe Rose would like to borrow them. :crazy:

Ah, I see - it's a YouTube comparison. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have listened to guitar transcriptions of Scarlatti sonatas with great interest, but paradoxically, in my ears the guitar's sound, which is softer than that of harpsichord strings, lessens the Spanish tinge, which is so important for his music.

Skip Sempé's recording is great in that respect, his arpeggios are as guitarlike as it can get.

Edited by mikeweil