Scarlatti sonatas recommendations?

T.D.

Any recommendations for the Naxos recordings (they have a running project of recording the complete set of Scarlatti sonatas - 25 CDs, each by different pianist, and it is half way through)?

I'm not a Naxos enthusiast (so shoot me... :blush: ), but Konstantin Scherbakov's Naxos recording of Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues was excellent, so I'd expect his volume to merit hearing.

Listened to samples, and liked Vol. 3 (Jeno Jando) and Vol. 5 (Benjamin Frith). These should do for now, as far a piano is concerned. Now, to harpsichord!

Got these two and can highly recommend both. The piano is played more on the dry, aggressive side here (Jando in particular).

Still need to get some harpsichord versions.

Edited by Д.Д.

• 2 weeks later...

On harpsichord, either Pierre Hantai, who made four discs over the years - all are brilliant, but the first is recommended for sheer exuberance - the gun shots in the hunting sonata are gorgeous and impossible to play like this on a piano:

51RuuXwZ1zL._SS500_.jpg

Got this one based on your recommendation. You;re not kidding - a lot of panache in his playing! Enjoyed it a lot.

• 1 month later...

On harpsichord, either Pierre Hantai, who made four discs over the years - all are brilliant, but the first is recommended for sheer exuberance - the gun shots in the hunting sonata are gorgeous and impossible to play like this on a piano:

51RuuXwZ1zL._SS500_.jpg

Got this one based on your recommendation. You;re not kidding - a lot of panache in his playing! Enjoyed it a lot.

Glad to read you like it - that "catch me if you can" between both hands in the opering sonata is another highlight.

The Skip Sempé disc is another I recommend - his arpeggios are the closest to guitar phrasing I have ever heard played on a harpsichord.

417McHrRoqL._SS400_.jpg

• 1 month later...

You need a bit of exhibitionism to play Scarlatti really well, and that's the one trait Leonhardt certainly does not display.

I think Hantai and Sempé are the kings - Staier is excellent but a trifle too controlled for my taste.

As far as modern piano is concerned, I agree, but there is a recording on a copy of an early Cristofori fortepiano that is great, by ALINE ZYLBERAJCH on the Ambronay label.

$(KGrHqUOKnQE3dH)vYufBO!fqGFmZg~~0_1.JPG

Got this one (through Ms Zylberajch herself) - it is excellent. First time I hear pianoforte, I think - very interesting.

• 8 months later...

Based on this thread I got this one:

51h0q9iJSWL._SS500_.jpg

Gave it three spins so far ... it's somewhat dark in general mood, I found at first, but it's slowly growing on me.

Also got Horowitz' "Great Sonatas" 10CD box, which has an overall 32 Scarlatti sonatas - great as well, if you want some piano! But I guess I'll look for more Hantaï now ... and if I stuble over it, the Weissenberg LP.

Based on this thread I got this one:

51h0q9iJSWL._SS500_.jpg

Gave it three spins so far ... it's somewhat dark in general mood, I found at first, but it's slowly growing on me.

Inspired by the high praise of Hantaï's playing by some on this board I listened to several sound samples of Hantaï in various works over the last few weeks and found that I can't get used to his playing, it sounds "quirky" to me.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

After weighing the Horowitz, Pogorelich and the mid-80s Schiff against the Babayan on Pro-Piano Records mentioned above, I felt like the latter was the best of the bunch, both in terms of flair and musicality. ... Weighing Moms' harpsichord recs next, but with admittedly less confidence (not in the players, but in myself).