Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

Received my set yesterday (Euro version)

My Disc 2 appears to be faulty

It's difficult to load into my computer - keeps rejecting the disc but was eventually able to load it into Itunes

Track 2 (Footprints) has quite audible clicking/ticking at 4:10 (lasting about 20 secs) & 6:25 (lasting approx 10 secs)

Track 5 (Masqualero) as above @ 5:40 (approx 10 secs)

These "anomalies" are most evident when the disc is in the car player - don't think they are part of the recording; nothing mentioned in the liner notes

Anyone else had the same problem?

Would appreciate someone else having a listen to their disc at those times listed above

Will probably have to send the set back for a replacement - usually easy procedure with Amazon UK (have done this before)

At the passages that you mention, I hear the bass being plucked very insistently. Could that be what you are hearing?

Bertrand.

Amazon replaced the set & the new discs did not have any of the above "anomalies" - it was a faulty disc

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this point on I find Miles Davis gigs a bit too variable, too experimental. That's true of some earlier live recordings too, like the reunion with Coltrane, but it is really the case with a lot of the live electric material, which to my way of thinking is more than occasionally uninspired (even if busy and apparently eventful, and always texturally interesting). So though I find these gigs somewhat interesting and I guess sometimes 'exciting' they are also quite raw, really, for my tastes, so even though they stand up better in good patches than most work by lesser musicians, they also document the hit and miss and often not well-focused nature of the open-ended approach to gigging of this and later Miles groups. In fact in patches I seem to hear a lot of tension in the group, as if the openness allows for simple good old-fashioned disagreement. That's interesting but not muscially interesting, maybe.

Good to have the recordings though, and in fair-ish sound.

That said, I have never loved Miles and always ranked him below Coleman and Coltrane. I feel he is too pre-occupied with audience.

Like jazzbo, I find I like the stuff you don't in this post and it was pretty obvious from your post that you weren't a big MIles fan. It's cool though. It's great there this so much to choose from in jazz that we can all follow our own hearts.

I really like this bootleg set. It is everything I wanted in my mind as far as what the band did with the songs and their level of communication/skill makes this music more exciting than the Plug Nickel tapes because they have taken that idea and gone much further with it. Sorry for the long sentence. :w

I really like this bootleg set. It is everything I wanted in my mind as far as what the band did with the songs and their level of communication/skill makes this music more exciting than the Plug Nickel tapes because they have taken that idea and gone much further with it.

I agree. There's something so edge of your seat about the tightrope walking empathy of this group. It's not so common to find this quality in a quintet, IMO--much more likely in some of the great sax/bass/drum trios like Surman/Phillips/Martin, Air and Rivers/Holland/Altschul.

• 3 months later...

That's true of some earlier live recordings too, like the reunion with Coltrane,

What re-union? '58, or the tour of Europe in '60 (or was it '61)?

He probably means Europe '60. That was sort of a reunion, maybe almost a reunion. Trane had quit the band a few months prior. Of course, for Trane's clock, a few months of development was like a few years for other players.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!

I bought this 3CD+1DVD set recently and was surprised/disappointed that my favorite of the 1967 performances was not in this set at all.

In the late 90s/early 2000s I got a bootleg from a private seller that had these tunes (in the order listed) as a single 42:51 CD track:

---

Agitation

Footprints

'Round Midnight

No Blues

Riot

Masquelro (this is cut off, I think)

----

What I love the most about this set above the others is Herbie's work on Footprints and 'Round Midnight. His solo on Footprints just swings and has a certain "melodic coherence" that isn't on the other dates. And 'Round Midnight is just incredible ---especially his interaction with Tony. Really burning and great lines.

I dunno...I just assumed that this boxed set had ALL the '67 material and I would maybe get to hear this set in better quality. Don't get me wrong, there is GOOD stuff on these discs. I just feel like they left the best date out.

I'm not even sure when/where this date was recorded. The CD databases don't seem to recognize the CD when I play it.

Micah

Hey guys!

I bought this 3CD+1DVD set recently and was surprised/disappointed that my favorite of the 1967 performances was not in this set at all.

In the late 90s/early 2000s I got a bootleg from a private seller that had these tunes (in the order listed) as a single 42:51 CD track:

---

Agitation

Footprints

'Round Midnight

No Blues

Riot

Masquelro (this is cut off, I think)

----

What I love the most about this set above the others is Herbie's work on Footprints and 'Round Midnight. His solo on Footprints just swings and has a certain "melodic coherence" that isn't on the other dates. And 'Round Midnight is just incredible ---especially his interaction with Tony. Really burning and great lines.

I dunno...I just assumed that this boxed set had ALL the '67 material and I would maybe get to hear this set in better quality. Don't get me wrong, there is GOOD stuff on these discs. I just feel like they left the best date out.

I'm not even sure when/where this date was recorded. The CD databases don't seem to recognize the CD when I play it.

Micah

Looks as if it's an abbreviated version of:

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=671106

Hey guys!

Micah

Looks as if it's an abbreviated version of:

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=671106

Thank you. But I don't think that is it. That listing says that the tracks referenced are on the Columbia set and I *know* this set is not.

Actually, let me correct that. I know that Agitation, Footprints, and 'Round Midgnight from the bootleg I have are NOT on the Columbia set -- including the DVD.

EDIT: I thnk this is it. The runtime just about matches the length of the (huge) track on the bootleg. The set list is definitely matches.

Berlin - November 4th, 1967:

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=671104

EDIT: Also, my copy has no introduction and start immediately with "Agitation". SO when you subtract the duration of the Introduction (0:29), that makes the runtime 42:57, which is pretty close to the bootleg time of 42:51.

Edited by micahw