Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is about time that Sony extended the "bootleg series" idea past Bob Dylan. The Dylan stuff is great but it is not like he is the only Sony artist that has great music waiting to see the light of day.

The difference is that all the Dylan "bootleg" material was owned and recorded by Columbia (now Sony) (and I know there were some certain exceptions to this, such as the Witmark release, but by and large this is true). The Miles material may well be radio recordings, audience recordings, and the like, that were never in Sony's vaults. It'll be interesting therefore to hear the audio quality of what they'll be releasing.

It is about time that Sony extended the "bootleg series" idea past Bob Dylan. The Dylan stuff is great but it is not like he is the only Sony artist that has great music waiting to see the light of day.

I am waiting for Sony/Columbia to issue a bootleg series for early to mid 1970s Santana.

The difference is that all the Dylan "bootleg" material was owned and recorded by Columbia (now Sony) (and I know there were some certain exceptions to this, such as the Witmark release, but by and large this is true). The Miles material may well be radio recordings, audience recordings, and the like, that were never in Sony's vaults. It'll be interesting therefore to hear the audio quality of what they'll be releasing.

Also, the likely audience for Bob Dylan live material is larger than that for Miles Davis live material.

Very cool! Though of course I was hoping for a larger box...

What's going to be on the DVD? Wasn't there a 1967 European concert DVD inside the big Miles box? What concert was used there?

Re: Bootleg Series: they did a pair of Johnny Cash sets, too - but they're fairly recent releases.

Very cool! Though of course I was hoping for a larger box...

What's going to be on the DVD? Wasn't there a 1967 European concert DVD inside the big Miles box? What concert was used there?

Re: Bootleg Series: they did a pair of Johnny Cash sets, too - but they're fairly recent releases.

I expect we'll see the same DVD offered. It featured 1967 appearances in Stockholm and Karlsruhe. EXCELLENT DVD.

I am sure there are multiple sources for some of this Miles Davis material but between Sony and the estate of Miles Davis there must be a certain amount of unrelaesed material that the already own that could be made available commercially.

There are definitely hundreds of hours of live material that could be used in a series such as this may be.

But. . . I'm not sure there's much that the family has, nor much that Columbia/Sony has the rights to, professionally recorded etc. They could put the four nights at the Fillmore that became Miles Davis at Fillmore out, uncut. That would be great.

The CDs should include the following concerts, sourced from broadcast tapes:

Rotterdam 10/30/67

Copenhagen 11/2/67

Paris 11/6/67

As for the DVD, it should be of the Stockholm and Karlsruhe performances but there might be a dispute over rights to one of the tunes.

I understand it'll be 3CDs and a DVD. According to Amazon U.K. it's a Sony Legacy set. The cover is up on Amazon. The subtitle isThe Bootleg Series, Vol.1.

51ccnVZehaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's also a Best Of CD being released at the same time

517QESMKyhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best of what? Do you mean a smaller, one disc version of the 3 discs in this set? Or something else?

I understand it'll be 3CDs and a DVD. According to Amazon U.K. it's a Sony Legacy set. The cover is up on Amazon. The subtitle isThe Bootleg Series, Vol.1.

51ccnVZehaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's also a Best Of CD being released at the same time

517QESMKyhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best of what? Do you mean a smaller, one disc version of the 3 discs in this set? Or something else?

I hear that Concord is going to lease some of the material and release a collection called 'Miles Davis Bootlegged for Lovers'. One 35 minute CD, edited versions.

I am waiting for Sony/Columbia to issue a bootleg series for early to mid 1970s Santana.

I would love that, something like live stuff from the 'Caravanserai' and 'Borbeletta' eras. To me, Leon Thomas didn't really fit well with Santana, so 'Lotus' always felt like it could have been more, great as it was. Leon Patillo always seemed like the far superior fit to me.

Edited by felser

Rotterdam 10/30/67

Copenhagen 11/2/67

Paris 11/6/67

As for the DVD, it should be of the Stockholm and Karlsruhe performances but there might be a dispute over rights to one of the tunes.

the track lists on amazon do indeed match

Antwerp (Disc 1):

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=671028

Copenhagen (Disc 2, 1-5):

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=671102

Paris (Disc 3):

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=671106

haven't seen the track list for Rotterdam though; Disc 2 ends with versions of Agitation and Footsteps which could be the beginning of the Paris concert (which apparently was missing those two tracks in previous bootleg issues, see link)

Edited by Niko

Rotterdam (most recent radio broadcast on VARA in 2005):

1. Footprints [inc/fade-in] 5:42

2. 'Round Midnight 7:27

3. No Blues 13:09

4. On Green Dolphin Street 9:23

5. Riot 4:24

6. Masqualero 7:27

Older versions had an announcement and the full "Footprints".

Can anyone who has the DVD from the big Miles box compare the setlists of the known parts of Stockholm and Karlsruhe? Here's what was on the Miles '67 Tree - is all of it on the DVD?

Stockholm - 1967-10-31

1. Agitation >

2. Footprints >

3. 'Round Midnight >

4. Gingerbread Boy >

5. The Theme

Karlsruhe - 1967-11-07

1. Agitation >

2. Footprints >

3. 'Round Midnight >

4. No Blues >

5. Masqualero >

6. I Fall in Love Too Easily >

7. Riot >

8. Walkin'

9. On Green Dolphin Street >

10. Gingerbread Boy >

11. The Theme

Kinda pricey for three discs but... I bet it's great.

3 discs plus 1 DVD -- and I'm betting the DVD will not replicate material from the CD's.

Still a touch more that I'd ideally like to spend, but then again, what isn't. :crazy:

Well, I certainly wouldn't pay $45 for this, but if I can catch it when the prices drop I might consider it. Miles is on fire, huh?

According to the amazon page the tracklisting of the dvd is:

DVD Track listing:1. Agitation, 2. Footprints, 3. I Fall In Love Too Easily, 4. Walkin , 5. Gingerbread Boy, 6. The Theme, 7. Agitation, 8. Footprints

9. Round Midnight, 10. Gingerbread Boy, 11. The Theme

This seems like all of the Stockholm concert and about half of the Karlsruhe one.

I have it on pretty good authority that, although some of this has circulated in bootlegs, the source material for the box set are radio station tapes, and the sound quality is reportedly very good, much better than the bootlegs. I'm pretty excited by this release excited.gif

Rotterdam 10/30/67

Copenhagen 11/2/67

Paris 11/6/67

Ah, how interesting! I have three early 90's silver-disc boots (on labels like JazzUp, JMY, and a plain-label disc that I only now see is a CDR, though I've had it for at least 10 years), but only one of them is included in this new release!

The three I already have are: Antwerp (28-Nov-67), Berlin (4-Nov-67), and Paris (6-Nov-67) -- so 2/3rds of this new release will be new to me! (To say nothing of the DVD, which I've had 10-generation VHS-copies for 20 years, and seen on Youtube.)

Even if I already had all of it, I would have probably gotten one -- but I'd definitely be getting one, sooner or later.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

According to the amazon page the tracklisting of the dvd is:

DVD Track listing:1. Agitation, 2. Footprints, 3. I Fall In Love Too Easily, 4. Walkin , 5. Gingerbread Boy, 6. The Theme, 7. Agitation, 8. Footprints

9. Round Midnight, 10. Gingerbread Boy, 11. The Theme

This seems like all of the Stockholm concert and about half of the Karlsruhe one.

Cool!

(For someone who owns the big sucker: again, is that the same that was on the DVD included there?)

I have it on pretty good authority that, although some of this has circulated in bootlegs, the source material for the box set are radio station tapes, and the sound quality is reportedly very good, much better than the bootlegs. I'm pretty excited by this release excited.gif

Several of these sets were recently re-broadcast in very, very good quality... will be great to have those officially, for sure! The old boots I guess have mostly long been surpassed in quality by what's circulating among collectors/traders.

Rooster: it will most likely be the Antwerp concert, not the Rotterdam (though that one's around in excellent quality, too).

Rooster: it will most likely be the Antwerp concert, not the Rotterdam (though that one's around in excellent quality, too).

I love how the forum doesn't display new additions to the post and then they're there twice...

I love how the forum doesn't display new additions to the post and then they're there twice...