Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be very interesting to see if and how this new series develops. I've wished for something of this nature a long time! The live shows are where it was happening.

If this first volume is even vaguely successful, let's all hope someone calls Sue Mingus's attention to it.

Edited by jazzbo

That 1967 Miles Davis concert at Salle Pleyel was somethin' else!

Archie Shepp and his band (with Roswell Rudd) and Thelonious Monk (with Ray Copeland, Jimmy Cleveland, Phil Woods, Charlie Rouse, Johnny Griffin) were also on the bill.

Thank God (as they say) for George Wein. He brought so many musicians over here and enabled fans everywhere to see and listen to them!

That must have been the same week they (the same double bill) played the RFH in London (or was it Hammersmith Odeon?). According to Ian Carr's 'Miles Davis' bio the audience was very divided with the Shepp cohort performance. Half were mesmerised by it, half walked out (or retreated to the bar).

Edited by sidewinder

I thought I was going to have this stuff already (would have bought it even if I had...), but looks like I don't have the Paris, so even moreso...BRING IT ON!

The Paris is superb and in excellent sound (even in the bootleg versions)

So now that the DVD's tracklist is out - is it indeed the same as on the monster box?

DVD – Selections:

1. Agitation

2. Footprints

3. I Fall In Love Too Easily

4. Gingerbread Boy

5. The Theme

6. Agitation

7. Footprints

8. ’Round Midnight

9. Gingerbread Boy

10. The Theme. (Tracks 1-6 recorded on November 7, 1967 at the Stadthalle, Karlsruhe, Germany by Südwestfunk TV; tracks 7-11 recorded on October 31, 1967 at the Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden by Sveriges Radio TV.)

As for Paris 1949... there was an old french CD using this LP cover:

056823.jpg

Wasn't aware it's rare or anything...

So now that the DVD's tracklist is out - is it indeed the same as on the monster box?

DVD – Selections:

1. Agitation

2. Footprints

4. Gingerbread Boy

5. The Theme

6. Agitation

7. Footprints

8. ’Round Midnight

9. Gingerbread Boy

10. The Theme. (Tracks 1-6 recorded on November 7, 1967 at the Stadthalle, Karlsruhe, Germany by Südwestfunk TV; tracks 7-11 recorded on October 31, 1967 at the Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden by Sveriges Radio TV.)

056823.jpg

The info from Sony says that the dvd first appeared officially in the Complete Classic Album box set.

The final two tracks on the Paris '49 disc were not on the original lp. Not sure they were on the first Japanese or French cds. . . Edit to add: no, those two were not on the original cds. Not sure where or when they first appeared.

Edited by jazzbo

DVD – Selections:

1. Agitation

2. Footprints

4. Gingerbread Boy

5. The Theme

6. Agitation

7. Footprints

8. ’Round Midnight

9. Gingerbread Boy

056823.jpg

The info from Sony says that the dvd first appeared officially in the Complete Classic Album box set.

The final two tracks on the Paris '49 disc were not on the original lp. Not sure they were on the first Japanese or French cds. . . Edit to add: no, those two were not on the original cds. Not sure where or when they first appeared.

Thanks - hadn't read it very closely (obviously, DOH)

THe French CD has nine tracks:

Rifftide

Good Bait

Don't Blame Me

Lady Bird

"Wah" "Hoo" (funny spelling)

Allen's Alley

Embraceable You

Ornithology

All the Things You Are

Okay. Apparently there are four additional performances from the concert that weren't on the lp or the cd. A bootleg cd included all four (but from the amazon reviews the cd was sourced from MP3 tracks and pretty bad). Two of the four now appear on the cd in the Classic Albums Collection box set, "Lover Man" and "The Squirrel." I believe I have the final two selections on a Philology cd as I think they both (?) were jams including other Festival artists, including Bird.

Edited by jazzbo

So, had to look up this "Miles Miles Miles" that you all seem to know and own:

Miles!_Miles!_Miles!.jpg

Never heard of it!

If it's as good as "We Want Miles", I'm really hoping Sony will bring this on, too!

Same for the Antibes sets by the lost quintet... and the full "Miles at Fillmore" sets. Since these are all Sony-owned, I hope they will be part of this new series or see reissues in some other form!

Losin says... about the additional tracks from Paris:

Paris, May 9, 1949

7 The Squirrel

12" LP: Phontastic NOST 7602

CD: Philology Volume 19 (W 849), Jazz Factory JFCD 22882

8 Crazy Rhythm

9 All the Things You Are

Paris, May 15, 1949

1 Blues Final (incomplete) [Farewell Blues] (S. Bechet) 4:54

Shorter version (3:46) on all issues except Vogue YX-0001 and JFCD 22882

1 Blues Final (incomplete)

12" LP: Bird in Paris CP-3, Durium-Cicala BLJ-8024, Spotlite LP-118, Toho/Vogue YX-0001

CD: Philology Volume 12 (W 842), Volume 61 (892), FAP 001/3, Jazz Factory JFCD 22882

I'm pretty certain that the best way to reissue the Miles! Miles! Miles! material would be to just add it on to the released material on We Want Miles! as an expanded reissue (as it's done for the most part in the Classic Album Collection).

Needless to say I'd love to get a proper release of all of this material, but for now I'll just be happy with my old French CD... and I think I might have some of the Philology stuff somewhere, too... but those are such a mess, I rarely think of them since I want to figure out stuff and that takes hours with Philology's Bird's Eyes!

I'm pretty certain that the best way to reissue the Miles! Miles! Miles! material would be to just add it on to the released material on We Want Miles! as an expanded reissue (as it's done for the most part in the Classic Album Collection).

Yeah... some kind of "Deluxe/Legacy Edition" as Warner just did for "Tutu" would be cool!

Okay. Well, there's two more tracks of the '49 in the Classic Albums box set version not on the French CBS cd. Reviews indicate to avoid the Jazz Factory cd.

It would be really easy to reissue the Tokyo material as the We Want Miles! release in the box set would easily be ready to roll. Just hire one of the regulars to provide the typical breezy liner notes. I think all the material is there from Miles! Miles! Miles! except the half a minute intro edited off Jean-Pierre, which is just sort of a bit of guitar and percussion warming up the the theme.

To be honest I was really excited when We Want Miles came out on lp (a lot of it was enjoying the sort of unique recorded sound of Al Foster's drums) but as time goes on I really don't enjoy the material much at all. Not enough to want a box set that included all the recorded tracks from all the shows that We Want Miles was collected from.

Miles Davis at Fillmore is another matter altogether. I'd love a box set of every second recorded. Same with the Juan Les Pins 1969 appearances.

Edited by jazzbo

I thought I was going to have this stuff already (would have bought it even if I had...), but looks like I don't have the Paris, so even moreso...BRING IT ON!

Just listened to the Paris date last night. For years I used to claim its version of "Round Midnight" was really one of THE finest things Miles ever played - specifically his intro to the tune, which I think rivals his original Columbia version. For years, whenever I found other live Miles versions of "Round Midnight" (post-1964) - I always hoped they would rival the Paris '67 version (alas, none ever quite have, IMHO).

Jim, if you've never heard this Paris show - you're in for a treat. Don't know that all that Paris show is necessarily better (in total) than any of the others from that tour, but that Paris intro to Round Midnight has been on my desert island list for going on 20 years.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Okay. Apparently there are four additional performances from the concert that weren't on the lp or the cd. A bootleg cd included all four (but from the amazon reviews the cd was sourced from MP3 tracks and pretty bad). Two of the four now appear on the cd in the Classic Albums Collection box set, "Lover Man" and "The Squirrel." I believe I have the final two selections on a Philology cd as I think they both (?) were jams including other Festival artists, including Bird.

One of the jams "Farewell Blues" with Bird and Bechet is available from Amazon as a download. It's on Bird's Eye Vol. 12.

One of the jams "Farewell Blues" with Bird and Bechet is available from Amazon as a download. It's on Bird's Eye Vol. 12.

Losin says it's been shortened on most releases, including the Philology Vol. 12 and Vol. 61 (what a mess, these Philology releases!) ones:

Shorter version (3:46) on all issues except Vogue YX-0001 and JFCD 22882

12" LP: Bird in Paris CP-3, Durium-Cicala BLJ-8024, Spotlite LP-118, Toho/Vogue YX-0001

CD: Philology Volume 12 (W 842), Volume 61 (892), FAP 001/3, Jazz Factory JFCD 22882