Bootleg: Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967

mjzee

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is an official Sony release (with sensibly remastered sound) I will buy it in a heartbeat. The "unofficial" recordings from this tour are some of my favourite Miles and they're the perfect complement to the Columbia LPs. With this band the studio/live dichotomy was particularly marked, and stuff happens live that didn't in the studio. In fact, these days, when I feel like hearing the 2nd 5tet, it's these recordings I tend to spin. Now once this is out and successful, can we hope that the 1969 European tour get a similar treatment? There's that version of Directions (Berlin?) where Miles and Jack do a Trane/Elvin Interstellar Space kind of duet... There are, of course, Andorran bootleg of some of this material, but a legit issue would be a REAL event, much more exciting than trumpet case CD sets.

I hope they use the best sources. For some of these shows (I'm thinking of Antwerp) there is a well-circulated inferior tape. I hope Cuscuna or someone else with an archivist's instinct is put in charge.

Guy

p.s. As an example of how to f--- this up, look at the European Trane box put out by Pablo about 10 years ago. Though at least in that case it was a problem limited to mislabelling of shows, not anything with the sound quality.

Edited by Guy

I reach for the '67 live material three times as often as the '65 Plugged Nickel. I think I only have three dates from '67 (on various late 90's silver-disc Euroboots), though I realize there are others out there. This would be a pretty substantial addition to the cannon; at least as important as the unreleased material that came with the box Columbia boxes.

If this is an official Sony release (with sensibly remastered sound) I will buy it in a heartbeat. The "unofficial" recordings from this tour are some of my favourite Miles and they're the perfect complement to the Columbia LPs. With this band the studio/live dichotomy was particularly marked, and stuff happens live that didn't in the studio. In fact, these days, when I feel like hearing the 2nd 5tet, it's these recordings I tend to spin. Now once this is out and successful, can we hope that the 1969 European tour get a similar treatment? There's that version of Directions (Berlin?) where Miles and Jack do a Trane/Elvin Interstellar Space kind of duet... There are, of course, Andorran bootleg of some of this material, but a legit issue would be a REAL event, much more exciting than trumpet case CD sets.

Doesn't affect the validity of what you wrote, but it was Trane/Rashied on Interstellar Space.

Of course it's Rashied! Call it a senior moment. Actually, the Miles/Jack vibe is probably closer to the Trane/Elvin duets from the live European concerts of the early 60s, so maybe it was a logical slip to make. Come to think about it the only version of Antwerp I have is the crummy inferior tape (I think it's on the "Bird of Paradise" label), and I'd love an upgrade of that. Yes, I agree this is a different ballgame from Plugged Nickel '65. As wonderfully as the band plays there (Wayne particularly), Miles is not at his very best, which he certainly is on the 67 European sides. I agree that this stuff is essential, not just a sideshow, much as Parker's Roost/Birdland live material gives us dimensions of his music-making that's missing on the Savoy and Dials, as wonderful as those are.