Gene Harris

mrjazzman

Two in a row, wow a record for me but I had to say that I have discovered and fell in love with The 3 Sounds. I can see why Blue Note made a lot of money off of them. I think Gene Harris was a genius of a piano player. Of course not in the sense of Tatum or Newborn, but as far as finger poppin soulfulness, imho, he was the very best. Remarkable how he maintained all those songs being the sole solo voice. Dowdy and Simpkins in this format were unmatched. And of course all these years later very hard to find and driving me to bankruptcy. I think this would make a great mosaic........

I'm here but there isn't much to say other than, "I agree" and "Michael has said that a Three Sounds Mosaic is highly unlikely to ever happen."

How sad...and difficult to understand : there have been lots of 3 Sounds enthusiasts since the sixties, so why could they not buy a possible Mosaic box of all their BN recordings?

Ready to send the check right now!:g

Stop me if you've heard this before but apparently a lot of them died off or didn't make the switch to CDs because reissue sales were never very good, and they recorded so many LPs that a Mosaic that fits with their SOP of some standard of completeness would be a little expensive, presumably adding to the risk involved in putting it out to tepid sales.

I am probably in the minority here, but I was never much of a fan of most recordings by the 3 Sounds.

My preference is clearly for the many Gene Harris sessions on Concord as both leader and sideman.

Too my ears, the Concord dates swing much more, while the 3 Sounds sessions seem a bit on the tepid side.

They strike me as aimed a bit at the new or fringe jazz listener who is not yet ready for the more hard core

jazz to be found on many other Blue Note recordings.

One exception, and the one I do like is - "Babe's Blues".

Just one man's opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably in the minority here, but I was never much of a fan of most recordings by the 3 Sounds.

My preference is clearly for the many Gene Harris sessions on Concord as both leader and sideman.

Too my ears, the Concord dates swing much more, while the 3 Sounds sessions seem a bit on the tepid side.

They strike me as aimed a bit at the new or fringe jazz listener who is not yet ready for the more hard core

jazz to be found on many other Blue Note recordings.

One exception, and the one I do like is - "Babe's Blues".

Just one man's opinion.

If you like Babe's Blues then I can't understand why you wouldn't like the majority of the rest of the Blue Notes........