CD Storage Problems

I own 3000 cd's and counting. Had huge storage headache. Came to realize that while cd was great invention, the jewell case was not so I've had storage head aches for ever. Was at the Cadence Building web site and voila, ran into the "Jewell Case Be Gone Plastic Sleeves" $.15 a piece. What was on approx 30 shelves is now on approx 12. They come in two sizes, one side for tray and cd, other side for booklet, PERFECT, problem solved. Now when I buy something, I just stick it in it's alphabetical spot. Before I would have to rearrange my whole, when ever I accumulated 10 or 15 new cd's.............

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a lot more than 3000 cds and cdr, plus another couple of thousand dvds. Living in a small Tokyo apartment I finally had to take radical action, as I literally ran out of space to store the stuff.

My solution was simple, I dumped all the jewel cases and dvd boxes, put everything in paper covers,inserted into the cd booklets, made an Excel a-z list and put everything into storage boxes which are kept under the bed, on top of wardrobes and any other space available.

It's not an elegant solution, and one that would probably not be acceptable to anyone living in a bigger place, but I does work quite well.

I own 3000 cd's and counting. Had huge storage headache. Came to realize that while cd was great invention, the jewell case was not so I've had storage head aches for ever. Was at the Cadence Building web site and voila, ran into the "Jewell Case Be Gone Plastic Sleeves" $.15 a piece. What was on approx 30 shelves is now on approx 12. They come in two sizes, one side for tray and cd, other side for booklet, PERFECT, problem solved. Now when I buy something, I just stick it in it's alphabetical spot. Before I would have to rearrange my whole, when ever I accumulated 10 or 15 new cd's.............

But can you find things when you look along the shelves? I find the labelled "spines" of the jewel cases indispensable. I have a number of CD-Rs in slimline cases without visible titles on the spines and tend to pass these by when I should be aware of them. However, I speak as someone with fewer than 1,000 items. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

But can you find things when you look along the shelves? I find the labelled "spines" of the jewel cases indispensable. I have a number of CD-Rs in slimline cases without visible titles on the spines and tend to pass these by when I should be aware of them. However, I speak as someone with fewer than 1,000 items. :blush:

I moved across to PVC sleeves a few years back. Not as easy to find things - but you can make it easy by taking a few of your redundant jewel cases, sticking a label on the end, and using them as markers. Doesn't take long to find most things.

The ones sold by JazzLoft do the trick ...

Yeah, I'm a convert to those. Huge space savings. It's not quite as easy to find things on the shelves, but you can read the tray card labels by riffling the sleeves on the shelves. If the discs are alphabetized or otherwise pre-organized, it's not that difficult.

Ditto.. they work perfectly fine.

The ones sold by JazzLoft do the trick ...

Yeah, I'm a convert to those. Huge space savings. It's not quite as easy to find things on the shelves, but you can read the tray card labels by riffling the sleeves on the shelves. If the discs are alphabetized or otherwise pre-organized, it's not that difficult.

What about digipacks?

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to deal with those... :o

I just let them be. Still a big space savings from dropping jewel boxes.

I let them be and they become I guess easier eye reference for the organisation, regular digipack don't bother me much as they are sometimes a bit thinner than regulad cds, what bugs me are the ones à la Winter & Winter that are as thick as 1 and a half regular CDs.

Anybody here have experience with ordering from Racksandstands.com, in terms of delivery, quality of storage shelving units purchased, etc.?

I got several of two different sizes of Leslie Dames racks from Racksandstands.com several years ago. Solid, good-looking, and one person can assemble them, though it's easier with two friendly, cooperative people:

http://www.racksandstands.com/Leslie-Dame-Enterprises-CD-1000-LE1055.html

I thought it was a very good deal.

Those sold by Cadence and Jazzloft are the ones I'm looking for ... sigh ... Bags Unlimited do not seem to carry that special type.

We'll see ....

Doesn't look like they do, which is a drag. I bought "in quantity" a few years ago and am needing to reorder. But I guess not from them...

• 1 month later...

I don't have the same number of CDs as some of you, but enough to make storage problematic. I've decided to favor purchasing in MP3 format when possible in order to keep the problem from burgeoning in the future, and I'm toying with the idea of just ripping my CDs to FLAC, scanning the booklets and virtualizing the whole shebang. Of course that would be a long-term project, but external hard drives are reasonably priced nowadays and there are ways to hook up music file servers with one's stereo system...

Those sold by Cadence and Jazzloft are the ones I'm looking for ... sigh ... Bags Unlimited do not seem to carry that special type.

We'll see ....

Doesn't look like they do, which is a drag. I bought "in quantity" a few years ago and am needing to reorder. But I guess not from them...

I'm also a long-time Bags Unlimited customer. These BU sleeves are identical to the ones sold at Jazz Loft:

scdgfs4.jpg

CD Gatefold Sleeve 4.0mil Polyethylene

Description: 5-1/4 x 10-5/8 x 5-1/8. Snug fit.

Stores jacketed CD in one side; Booklet in the other side. Center loading.

Base SKU: scdgfs4

100 - $14.65

500 - $56.50

1000 - $102.90

Prices include shipping

Personally, I prefer the extra room of these BU sleeves (I bought 4,000 of them!)

scdgf4.jpg

CD Gatefold Sleeve 4.0mil Polyethylene

Description: 5-1/4 x 11 x 5-1/2.

Stores Tray Card and Booklet in one side. CD in the other side. Center loading.

Made from 100% virgin polyethylene.

Base SKU: scdgf4

100 - $16

500 - $62

1000 - $112.50

Prices include shipping