CD Storage Problems

I put jewel cases in the recycle.

They tell us that they can recycle the clear plastic but not black plastic!  Not sure about dark brown but probably not.  Not sure I really want to take the effort to separate everything another time. 

In the past, I donated a lot of them to a used CD store.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of storing them in these boxes; Amazon has them for $5.33 each.  Customer responses seem to indicate I could get 60 - 100 in each box, and they stack.

Hmmm, the board software isn't letting me post the .jpg; the item can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062UW5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was thinking of storing them in these boxes; Amazon has them for $5.33 each.  Customer responses seem to indicate I could get 60 - 100 in each box, and they stack.

Hmmm, the board software isn't letting me post the .jpg; the item can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062UW5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Dude, if you want to cheap out, find somebody who works in an office with a copier. The empty paper boxes are great for filling and stacking, like if you have a bunch of discs you don't want to look at any more but also don't want to get rid of, you can get hundreds in one box and then off they go into the closet of unseen corner of the unvisited room, some place like that, they'll be there for you if and/or when.

k2-_2674d275-001b-4b18-a39c-211fdb020321

This stuff right here, these boxes, you can store CDs in it, you can let you pets give birth in it, you can do anything with it, pretty much, compact-ish, strong, and stackable like jackable - and if you got the connect, hey, endless supply at the cost of free. Rare instance of perfect world.

Well, then, those boxes are not what you want for that.

Got any pregnant cats or anything like that? Old earth shoes from the 70s? Pants you'll be able to wear again, it's just a matter of time?

Those boxes work great for that, and like I said, infinitely stackable, so, you can run a home for unwed kitties, or a rat snake hotel, or something like that. Possibilities are almost literally almost endless.

May I suggest you donate your unwanted jewel cases to your local library? That's what I've done. I think of it as a way of thanking them for all those CDs I borrowed over the years.

My library doesn't use jewel cases any more. They switch all of their CDs into a plastic clamshell type case. I imagine they chuck the original jewel cases.

Having read through the most recent posts, I get the storage solutions. Great cataloging ideas, too.

However, like a couple others here, I want to be able to read the spine and otherwise find/access my music without having to pull each individual CD out of the rows....which would take hours.

Additionally, I have been shopping various cabinet units, but the biggest I have found [read: can afford] only holds 1400 CDs.

Any ideas?

Edited by Tim McG

Having read through the most recent posts, I get the storage solutions. My problem is how do you catalog your collections?

Like a couple others here, I want to be able to read the spine and otherwise find/access my music without having to pull each individual CD out of the rows....which would take hours.

Additionally, I have been shopping various cabinet units, but the biggest I have found [read: can afford] only holds 1400 CDs.

Any ideas?

The type sold by spacesavingsleeves (and some other places mentioned in this thread) enable you to see the spines.  The board isn't allowing us to post jpgs these days, but if you go to this link, you can see a picture of plastic sleeves with readable spines, and this YouTube video shows how to use the sleeves.

As for storage, I hope to use storage boxes as mentioned above.  This would solve the slipping-and-sliding problem, and the boxes stack well on bookshelves.  Label the boxes with what's inside (Jazz - A, or Kenny Burrell - Donald Byrd, etc.).

Type the following (with the spaces removed):

[ i m g ] [ / i m g ]

The paste the link of the image in between. Or paste the link in while you're typing, whatever. If your browser's paste function does not work, try the Ctrl-V keyboard shortcut to paste. (Don't know if that works on a Mac or not, if that's what you use, but there's got to be a Mac equivalent)

I'm also a long-time Bags Unlimited customer. These BU sleeves are identical to the ones sold at Jazz Loft:

Personally, I prefer the extra room of these BU sleeves (I bought 4,000 of them!)

scdgf4.jpg

CD Gatefold Sleeve 4.0mil Polyethylene

Description: 5-1/4 x 11 x 5-1/2.

Stores Tray Card and Booklet in one side. CD in the other side. Center loading.

Made from 100% virgin polyethylene.

Base SKU: scdgf4

100 - $16

500 - $62

1000 - $112.50

Prices include shipping

I just ordered 2,000 of the Bags Unlimited sleeves. I have run out of room and my wife and I are thinking of downsizing soon. These look like the best option.

Type the following (with the spaces removed):

[ i m g ] [ / i m g ]

The paste the link of the image in between. Or paste the link in while you're typing, whatever. If your browser's paste function does not work, try the Ctrl-V keyboard shortcut to paste. (Don't know if that works on a Mac or not, if that's what you use, but there's got to be a Mac equivalent)

Thanks, but sorry, it still doesn't work for me.  I'll wait for the Invision fix.

The keyboard shortcut should work in most any program. If it works in, like, Word or Excel or your email or anything else on your computer but not on Organissimo, there's got to be an issue with your browser. It's working for some users but not for others, which indicates it's not a universal, i.e. board software based, problem. If it was strictly a board issue, everybody would get the same results. The linking of an image from a URL tool, that's one that everybody's having, and that's an Invision problem. If I can copy and paste but you can't, that's a difference in our individual settings, somewhere. Exactly where, I would not want to guess.

Do Ctrl-C (Copy) & Ctrl-V (Paste) work for you on other web sites, just not on this one?

Also, looks like Macs use a "Cmd" key instead of Ctrl, but otherwise the shortcut is the same: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

I can copy and paste just fine, but typing [img ][ /img] (without the spaces) doesn't work, and neither does copying and pasting an image directly into the reply box.  FYI, posting a link (which involves copying and pasting) works just fine as well.

Yeah, definitely a browser setting somewhere...something about bbcode parser...getting past what I know, but there's lots of Google results for "bbcode not working" and things like that (none of the few I'velooked at have come to any straightforward explanations/solutions), and you can get Firefox add-ons for it (which it looks like I don't need), but all that to just say if you know your browser well enough to tinker, it sure looks like that's the thing to do.