Max Roach Birthday Broadcast

7/4

Max Roach Birthday Broadcast

WKCR will be celebrating the life and music of Mr. Max Roach on January 10, 2004, Max's 80th birthday. Born in North Carolina, Max was steeped in the music of his local church before moving to New York to begin his studies. When he was only 18, he was already the house drummer at Monroe's Uptown Playhouse jamming with many legends. He, along with Dizzy, Bird, and Monk, helped propel the bebop into the forefront of the Jazz world. Not content to be pigeonholed, however, Max managed to stay ahead of curve for his entire career, moving from bebop to many later movements, including his seminal Freedom Now Suite from 1960. Over the years, Roach, both as a leader and a sideman, has performed with countless Jazz greats: Clifford Brown, Charles Mingus, Stan Getz, Eric Dolphy, and Miles Davis, just to name a few. Through it all, Mr. Roach's propelling ride-cymbal work and polyrhythmic mastery have never left his side, as he continues to play, lecture, and teach about the music which he has helped to shape. So, don't miss the musical mastery this upcoming Saturday, January 10th, as we will dedicate the entire 24 hours to the music of Mr. Max Roach.

http://wkcr.org/

:party::party::party:

Thanks for the heads-up! Can't listen to the RealAudio stream, but it works great through iTunes.  :D

Cool...I can't get the Win Media Player or Real Audio to work off that link. I using my old stereo now, I haven't turned it on for years! :winky:

Edited by 7/4